Upgrading from XE to XF? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Upgrading from XE to XF?

Old 12-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Default Upgrading from XE to XF?

I currently lease a Jaguar XE (the 2.5T), and that is one amazing car! It is definitely the most fun to drive car I have had over Mercedes, Cadillac, Acura, BMW. So, I'm thinking when the lease expires to buy either a Jaguar XE or XF. But what do I get out of buying an XF over XE except a slightly larger car? Did anyone upgrade from XE to XF? Two options
1. I buy a base model with a few upgrades of either, and pocket the difference. Is the XF worth the extra money?
2. I compare the same dollar amount XE and XF. Probably I could get the V6 XE for the same price I would spend for a base model XF? Would that make the XE much nicer than the XF?

My issue is that XE and XF seem quite similar, whereas Mercedes C and E, and BMW 3 and 5 seem totally different cars. Just perception?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Well, I did some research myself using the official jaguar website for option 2: I use the same amount on an XF and XE

30t XF: XF premium with added keyless entry: $54,575

For that I could get

XE S: $54,780

30t XE: XE prestige with Vision pack, Comfort and Convenience pack, and adaptive dynamics OR Head-up display $54,380

I must say the XE S looks appealing compared to the XF. On the other hand, having driven the 3.5t as a loaner, I would say the Jaguar 4-cylinder engines are already so good that I'm not sure the 6-cylinder engine makes that much of a difference.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Buy a Sportbrake S.......I'm under the impression huge discounts on them...or you could always get that XE S - that would be a fun ride..

Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yehaman View Post
Buy a Sportbrake S.......I'm under the impression huge discounts on them...or you could always get that XE S - that would be a fun ride..
I should check out that. I have an older Cadillac CTS sportswagon, and the Sportsbrake could replace that (I don't like SUVs). So, that is the car I really want. But I fear that even with big discounts, the Sportsbrake get into a completely different pricing category.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Where are you located? Actually doesn't really matter as long as your in the States. Any dealer can ship one to you. The figures I recall, could put you right around the numbers you listed above. The car isn't in high demand.

Last edited by Yehaman; 12-04-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Yehaman View Post
Where are you located? Actually doesn't really matter as long as your in the States. Any dealer can ship one to you. The figures I recall, could put you right around the numbers you listed above. The car isn't in high demand.
Buy the Sportbrake. You won't be disappointed. I came out of a 16 CTS, the Sportbrake is much more sport than luxury and that is the way I like it! The supercharged 6 cyl is a monster!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bat One View Post
Buy the Sportbrake. You won't be disappointed. I came out of a 16 CTS, the Sportbrake is much more sport than luxury and that is the way I like it! The supercharged 6 cyl is a monster!
I couldn't agree more. Wagons are dying off to make room for CUVs, at least Jaguar is keeping them alive for another year. I would have considered a CTS wagon if these hadn't been discontinued, or an S6 wagon if available in the U.S. I drove the Volvo V90, which was pretty nice, but it was more luxury than sport and its was a 5 month wait to order the one I wanted. The sales guy basically talked me out of it.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:27 PM
RGT
Smile new to Jag family

Just wanted to chime in on the Sportbrake. Got mine about a week ago and so far very positive impressions overall. I walked into the dealership with a buddy who was interested in the XE. He did not like it, but when the sales guy mentioned the wagon, I said I'd love one, just not for the money they are asking for it. To which he made me an offer that I thought was an April's fool joke, but in November.

Long story short, I got out of my BMW 335GT lease early and I'm still paying less a month than I was for that car.

The Sportbrake looks amazing in person and I still find myself staring at it when I walk out of a store and see it

Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hi. We have the 25T in the R sport. I've also driven a number of other XE's, including the XE S (what you would call the 35T R Sport, as it was the 240Kw version) several times on the track and about town. I've driven the XF 25T as a loaner. On top of that I had 2 previous gen XF's, but really they are nothing like the new one so that is not adding toi my cred, but then I have the F Type S with the 280 Kw engine so I'm familiar with that.

I really enjoyed driving the new XF in the 25T. The engine/transmission match is better than it is in the ecoboost 25T XE, not sure about the igenium 25T XE. The car is quite a bit bigger than the XE inside, most noticeably in the rear seats. The launch is good, it handles really nicely about town, and was all up a pleasure to drive, much better than I thought it would be. The new infotainment with the 10 inch screen was a nice touch.

All of that said, my feeling is that the XE is more of a "sporty" (I hate that expression) car. It feels more snug, you sit lower, it is just tighter all round. As good as the XF was, the XE is nicer as a sports sedan IMO. That said, if you are after a premium car, the XF might be better.