XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Anybody have any wiring diagrams or location for amplifier for the audio system....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody have any wiring diagrams or location for amplifier for the audio system....

I have a 2012 XF and would like to hook up a sub woofer and amp. I need to tap into some L&R signal wires, ideally it would be a pre-amp input. I imagine that there is a separate amplifier somewhere with inputs and outputs.

I also wouldn't mind disconnecting the safety over-ride on the DVD that cuts the video off after 5mph. This way at least the passenger could watch a movie on a road trip.

Thanks for any help!

-Jim

Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the ability to play a video on the screen new for 2012?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cwood
Is the ability to play a video on the screen new for 2012?
I think so. In 2012 it is the same system that is in the XJ.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it plays DVDS while in park. It also supports video playback off of the USB port (no iPhone video support though..at least not that I noticed). The formats are finicky. Not sure what formats it supports, the manual says mp4 and "divx".

Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM

So does anyone know where the stereo amplifier is located?

I have to believe there is a DIYer here on the boards somewhere....

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin

So does anyone know where the stereo amplifier is located?

I have to believe there is a DIYer here on the boards somewhere....
I'm thinking it's under the rear seat... this is only a guess but it's the usual place the factories put them. I was also wondering how to get a wire through the front firewall... although it's for something entirely different and don't mean to hijack your thread... but I was also hoping for a DIY thread without opening a new one. I'm going to be doing some looking around at my car this coming week and if I find anything out about the amp I'll post it here...

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ordered this manual:
JAGUAR UNIVERSITY 2009 MY XF TECHNICAL MANUALS FULL | eBay.

I have a 2011, but this is the closest thing I have found for any documentation on the XF. If there is anything in it that might help, I'll let you know. It should be here near the end of next week. I'll be out of town until Friday or Saturday so, won't have any info until after that.

Walt

Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks. That would be great!

-Jim

Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

There is already a subwoofer in that car. It is under the spare tire. If you wanted to add more punch then I think you might look at the signal wires to that subwoofer. It is a dual voice coil with four wires going to it. The factory amp is on a fiber optic (MOST-media oriented system transport) network so there is no preamp level to it on a copper wire to tap into. If you want to see the amplifier, it is in the left of the trunk behind the trim panel, roughly below the hinge area. It has five connectors on it.
As far as watching a video at speed, i think you may need to find a human programmer to do in one of the modules that is associated with that and find the bit of information that says to change the screen when out of park. It is not as easy as flipping a switch. Our government regulates that stuff, Jaguar just complies. Certainly would be neat to do, but the distraction.......

Best wishes

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackX300VDP:
2010 Kyanite XFR (09-28-2013), BigCat09 (12-20-2012), jjsaustin (10-30-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I will have to take a look later today. Tapping into the subwoofer sounds like it should be pretty easy. I would just need to find a signal to tap into to switch the power on.

Jim

Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
There is already a subwoofer in that car. It is under the spare tire. If you wanted to add more punch then I think you might look at the signal wires to that subwoofer. It is a dual voice coil with four wires going to it. The factory amp is on a fiber optic (MOST-media oriented system transport) network so there is no preamp level to it on a copper wire to tap into. If you want to see the amplifier, it is in the left of the trunk behind the trim panel, roughly below the hinge area. It has five connectors on it.
As far as watching a video at speed, i think you may need to find a human programmer to do in one of the modules that is associated with that and find the bit of information that says to change the screen when out of park. It is not as easy as flipping a switch. Our government regulates that stuff, Jaguar just complies. Certainly would be neat to do, but the distraction.......

Best wishes
Well I checked under the spare and nothing there. No wires or anything. Too bad it would have been easy to tap into. Most cars have speakers on the back package shelf. In these cars the rear speakers are in the doors, so there may not be any any audio wires that are in the trunk area unless the amp is back there.

UPDATE: I did see what I believe is the AMP one the driver's side trunk area as Mark suggested. I could still use a wiring diagram will let me know which wires go to the speakers.

Hopefully, Walt or Mark can provide some more info.

Thanks,

-Jim

Attached Thumbnails Anybody have any wiring diagrams or location for amplifier for the audio system....-amp1.jpg  

Last edited by jjsaustin; 10-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, you have the base sound package as I recognise the amp from mine (2012 xf luxury). I am looking at doing the same project, although also intend to replace all front speakers (I have them on the table in front of me courtesy of xfforum tip of how to remove door panel), but am looking for a wiring diagram to also add subwoofer - have you seen the blaupunkt it fits into spare wheel well just like standrd premium woofer, however I dont wish to cut every wire to find the correct connection!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM

You should be able to look at the color of the wires going to the woofers in the front of the car. You can then tap into those same color wires going to the amp.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Now, i have not seen the trunk of a 2012 but the 2011 and older all had the same setup. The subwoofer does not look like the traditional subwoofer. The huge plastic box that the spare sits on is the sub enclosure. There should be a four wire connector at the back right (passenger side) corner of the box. Those are the sub wires. I don't think 2012 changed. Wire colors are (at the sub)
pin 1 violet/green
pin 2 Green/white
pin 3 white/brown
pin 4 violet/orange
The wires at the amplifier are the same colors but the connector is the grey connector. Looks like second from left looking at the connector side of the amp.
Good luck

Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
Now, i have not seen the trunk of a 2012 but the 2011 and older all had the same setup. The subwoofer does not look like the traditional subwoofer. The huge plastic box that the spare sits on is the sub enclosure. There should be a four wire connector at the back right (passenger side) corner of the box. Those are the sub wires. I don't think 2012 changed. Wire colors are (at the sub)
pin 1 violet/green
pin 2 Green/white
pin 3 white/brown
pin 4 violet/orange
The wires at the amplifier are the same colors but the connector is the grey connector. Looks like second from left looking at the connector side of the amp.
Good luck
I did another check in the trunk in case I missed something. Like you say, maybe it is a 2012 change or maybe it is because I have the base 2012 XF. I took a pic

Attached Thumbnails Anybody have any wiring diagrams or location for amplifier for the audio system....-trunk.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I did another check in the trunk in case I missed something. Like you say, maybe it is a 2012 change or maybe it is because I have the base 2012 XF. I took a pic
How about that. No box. Hmmmm. I'll go dig some more.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:18 PM

We definitely do not have the premium sound system, hence no subwoofer. Good suggestion tracing colour of front door woofer, even if it means removing door trim again. ANyone have any ideas what replacement speakers to fit, I'm primarily disappointed with the front door woofers, they are as light as a feather!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM

In my last car, a BMW 540, it was a similar setup. Once I installed the sub, the drivers in the doors didn't have to do any heavy lifting so to speak. By adjusting the amplifier output on the sub, you can keep radio bass flat, thus less demand on the door speakers. It sounded great.
I'm hoping the same will be true with the Jag. So you may want to upgrade one piece at a time as needed.

Make sense?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Yes incremental upgrade is sensible, but having spent 1/2 day prising off the front door trim, I feel the effort should be rewarded with a speaker upgrade!

Interesting the prices for B&W speakers is not prohibitive (£40 for door woofer), £150 for sub-woofer, and the B&W amp is £460. So I could replace the existing speakers and amp, wiring looks same, although I would be without the extra speakers.

Another option is to buy th premium amp (£200) which would have the subwoofer connection. Either way I'm assuming Jag serivce would need to reprogramm the car (or maybe only for B&W amp?), which is probably when I find out its too expensive to make it worthwhile!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM

So, after digging around the information I have and reading the sales brochures, I am humbled. There really is a base system available in the US now. 09-11 definitely had the "premium system" as the base system with the B&W as the option. Looks like 2012 did, in fact, change the availability of sound systems. As you have found, the base system does not include the subwoofer. I'm sorry I got confused on the matter. Historically, Jag has not offered the real base system in the US. It has offered the global premium and then high-line to the US. Learn something new every day!! After looking at the wiring diagram, there are only wires that go to each speaker and none showing for a sub. I don't know if the processing is even in the amp for the sub so you could use the pins coming out of the amp.

Quick Reply: Anybody have any wiring diagrams or location for amplifier for the audio system....