XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Battery not charging and unidentified cable.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery not charging and unidentified cable.

Hi sorry this might get a bit long winded if im not making sense ill add photos tomorrow.

Yesterday on the way to work a red battery warning sign came up on the console. The car got me to work but when I tried to leave multiple orange warnings came up and car wouldn't drive (gearbox, dsc, etc).

Quick bit of googling suggested battery so I bought a new battery and put it in but before I even tried to start car I had a problem. There is a wire with a small plug on it (kind of like a mini phone plug) next to the battery I cant eork out where it came out off/where it goes. My first question is does anyone know what this is? (I can add photo tomorrow)

Anyway the car started and all the orange warnings were away but the red battery warning was still there but the car drove home fine. So I think the battery was dead but the problem isn't the battery but that the battery isn't getting charged? Can anyone confirm this? And is my next port of call a new alternator?

Last edited by ericjamiesonxf; 01-24-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction to me. Battery is not charging, but may be something other than an alternator. You need to get it checked B4 just replacing it.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjamiesonxf
There is a wire with a small plug on it (kind of like a mini phone plug) next to the battery I cant eork out where it came out off/where it goes. My first question is does anyone know what this is? (I can add photo tomorrow)
I know exactly the plug you are taking about. I had the same question when I purchased my XF. Apparently it is something that you do not need to plug in anywhere and should be tucked in along side the battery. I was told it is something they install and use at the factory.

I was suprised to read the battery warning was still present after the replacement. It it persists, take it in and have it cleared/checked. The new battery should have solved the problem.

Please keep us posted!

Old 01-24-2015, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. Where is the alternator? There are so many plastic covers under bonnet! And also what am I looking for if I'm checking it?

If my alternators fine is there anything else I can try myself before I have to take it to a garage where my wallet will presumably be sooked dry (I've never worked much on cars but am comfortable with anything that's a simple case of bolt old one off/bolt new one on)

Old 01-24-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks for other reply too I'm glad I've got to the bottom of that plug I was thinking that might have been something to do with it but glad its ruled out.

I will keep you posted I don't think it's just a case of the message not being cleared though as the touch-screen let me clear the message/warning and it disappeared but it came back on the next time I started the car. Maybe I should just leave the car on for a while and see if the electrics start dying to rule that possibility out.

Where can I find out exactly what the warning pictures mean? I cant find it in the manual it just suggests taking the car to the dealer. Its a picture of a red battery with a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it. Does it just mean low battery or does it mean battery isn't charging or what?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts
Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Since the battery was replaced, I would suspect that the alternator is defective. But you should have the tech put an analyzer or meter on the alternator to see if it is charging properly. I read somewhere that there is a battery minder function on our cars that can only be reset by a Jaguar technician. Not sure what is involved, but you should consult your dealer about it.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The little plug is actually for venting gases created from the battery……it plugs right into the side of the battery (either side) and most batteries have a small hole for it.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There should be the vent hose (if XF has one) and also an unconnected electrical plug that's for the isolator when shipping (if it's like the S-Type, as I believe it is). On the S-Type tape up safely where it can't get shorted or cut but otherwise ignore for ever.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjamiesonxf
Thanks for the reply. Where is the alternator? There are so many plastic covers under bonnet! And also what am I looking for if I'm checking it?

If my alternators fine is there anything else I can try myself before I have to take it to a garage where my wallet will presumably be sooked dry (I've never worked much on cars but am comfortable with anything that's a simple case of bolt old one off/bolt new one on)
You can verify that the alternator is charging if you have a digital volt meter (multimeter). You can use it to check the voltage at the battery when the car is running. The battery voltage while running should be in the 14V range. If the alternator isn't charging the voltage will be less than 12V.

It's possible you have a blown fuse so you may want to check all the fuses using that multimeter.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually, to test a charging system properly, you must first charge the battery to somewhere in its normal operating capacity. After charging it you must allow it to cool down and not have any residual voltage increase due to the battery charger producing from 14-17 volts. Check the battery voltage with the engine off to check that the voltage is in fact 12 volts. Then start the engine and test for output with all accessories turned off. Record that voltage. Then turn lights, airconditioning and radio accessories on and observe the voltage. Normal voltage should be in the 13.4 to 14 volt range with accessories on. And with accessories off, it should be in the 12.4-14 volt range. Most of the alternators these days are pretty well built with voltage regulators that are pretty sensitive to prevent over charging of the battery. So when the battery is up to full operating capacity, they sort of go to sleep. This is why your voltage may vary even with the engine on. I have heard that our cars have a sophisticated battery minder feature which may indicate a bad alternator when testing when in fact the alternator is in good operating condition. Many times, a technician will replace both the battery and alternator as a set to prevent any further failure. Either one of those components could cause damage to the other as one begins to fail.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the replys.

Tested using methods described pretty sure its the alternator.

Car is in garage getting new alternator so hopefully pick it up and be back on the road in the morning.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw this thread and need some help

Hello, I don’t know if anyone will see this since the thread is kinda old but I’m having the same problem as the OP and I’d like to know what ended up happening with the car. I had the red battery not charging warning along with the various other warnings and the car not running well. I replaced the battery but same issue. The shop said they checked the alternator and the starter and they all work fine, also no codes on the car’s computer so they thought there was no problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 03-12-2022, 04:13 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Check the small wire between the bms on the neg terminal to the positive that wire contains a fuselink, if blown or fractured, the warning light will come on.

The following users liked this post:
thistle4celtic1 (03-12-2022)