XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Boot wiring harness- best fix method?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 05:26 AM
Received 166 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Boot wiring harness- best fix method?

2010 XF 4.2 SV8. I have the well-documented boot wiring harness failure; the 'boot open' light is on and the boot won't open other than with the emergency key. Planning on patching a new section into the harness where the broken wire is. What have others found to be the most simple and reliable repair method? Any tricks to accessing the harness or connectors? I know the camera cable is part of the same harness- is it just a plain wire or is there something more complex to worry about?

The following users liked this post:
Maxstoke407 (03-24-2024)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Some info if anyone else is approaching this repair.
The harness connectors are easy to locate, under the boot lid trim and the trim inside the r/h inner quarter panel. The harness section that bridges the boot hinge is thankfully only a short section.
I was expecting the damaged wire to be difficult to locate, fractured inside the insulation. Not so:

I decided to get a price from my Jaguar dealer. I expected it to be prohibitive, given that the loom includes the fibre-optic able for the camera. It was about AU$275.00. I decided to order the new loom as this one will just continue to fail and I'll be repairing broken wires again and again. It really is a poor design, with the loom emerging from two points directly opposite one another across the boot opening, so that the loom has a bending moment concentrated in a short section of the wires. Better design has the anchored points widely separated so there is a twisting moment across a longer section of wire. After over 30 years of owning pommy cars, I've learned not to be surprised by poor electricals.

I effected a temporary repair to avoid the inconvenience of the warning lamp and non-opening boot while I wait for the part to arrive. I would have sourced some different guage wire if this was going to be a permanent repair but I had this stuff on hand and it will serve for now.

Hopefully a new loom will last another few years before beginning to fail again.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I completed a quick fix with solder and shrink tube until the new loom arrived and then swapped out. I'm afraid of more headaches if I just kept doing patch jobs.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:48 AM
Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Just replace it - it will keep giving you grief. I recently did a video on replacing mine

The following 2 users liked this post by hiltoncam:
Maxstoke407 (03-24-2024), thistle4celtic1 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-24-2024, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, you'll have to forgive me as I'm completely new to this Forum. However I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I recently viewed your excellent video on how the replace your boot harness because your reversing camera failed. I have a similar problem, however the BOOT OPEN warning light on my dash is permanently on, so I cannot lock the car remotely. I had this trouble before and was told it was due to a fractured wire in the loom inside the rubber hose between the boot lid and car body. All I need to know is, is the loom you replaced the same one that controls the boot open light and reversing camera together? If so i can order a new loom, because as you say, its a poor design feature. I do hope i get your reply. Thanks very much.
PS. My car is a 3 litre Jaguar XF 2011.
Reards
Martyn

Old 03-24-2024, 01:53 PM

Hi there, you'll have to forgive me as I'm completely new to this Forum. However I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I recently viewed your excellent video on how the replace your boot harness because your reversing camera failed. I have a similar problem, however the BOOT OPEN warning light on my dash is permanently on, so I cannot lock the car remotely. I had this trouble before and was told it was due to a fractured wire in the loom inside the rubber hose between the boot lid and car body. All I need to know is, is the loom you replaced the same one that controls the boot open light and reversing camera together? If so i can order a new loom, because as you say, its a poor design feature. I do hope i get your reply. Thanks very much.
PS. My car is a 3 litre Jaguar XF 2011.
Reards
Martyn

Old 03-25-2024, 05:12 PM

The wires and the f/o are all in the one loom.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by POD XF
The wires and the f/o are all in the one loom.
thank you