XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A/C Nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Nightmares

Hello Jaguar Forums!

I am a long time lurker and I have to say this forum is awesome. The community seems very knowledgeable and helpful. I know almost nothing about cars but as of recent problems with mine I have been reading everything I can and learning a lot.

I've been researching for about two weeks into this issue I am having with my 09 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4.8 non supercharged. I was driving a relatively short distance one day and heard a click from the engine area and all of a sudden no cold air from the A/C! The blower runs and it's the same hot air from both sides. Obviously the hotter the air outside, the hotter the air coming from the vents. At first I thought I'd just refill the refrigerant but a bit of reading says not to do that without proper testing. So before I took the car in to have the A/C tested I read around a bit and found things I can test first. Here's what I have done:

Checked all fuses (and I mean all in the engine bay, passenger compartment and luggage compartment just because I thought it would be a good idea anyway) and all we're fine

Tried running the A/C full blast while driving on lowest temp.

Checked the radiator fan, was not running so I disconnected the sensor from the engine and it started immediately so that rules out a bad motor/fan connection

There were some power issues like slow turn over of engine and power windows going down unbelievably slow with ignition off but they went down at normal speed with the engine on. So I replaced the battery and it resolved all of these issues.

Things I have not done:

Test compressor clutch (not sure how)
Relays (not sure how)
Refrigerant (scared to cause damage)

I took it to a shop to have the A/C tested but the guy came back relatively quickly and said it wasn't the problem. Me, knowing a bit about my car, acting stupid, asked if he could tell me where the low pressure recharge port is and he couldn't tell me so I'm pretty sure he didn't even check it. I guess I could take it somewhere else and have it checked but that's not too cheap in my area.

Could anyone provide thoughts on what I could try next? Florida weather is unbearable with no A/C and I'm afraid my daughter is going to kill me if I put her through that again lol. Any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Have you connected a jag code reader and pulled any codes? That would be a good place to start
Post them back here and you will probably get more targeted answers

Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 PM

No I haven't. I guess I can purchase one online but if I brought it to the dealer would they be able to do it?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - dealer can do it but probably charge a diagnostic fee. Local auto part stores do it for free but not sure they have the jag specific data. You can buy a code reader for ~120 usd that has jag specific info like the icarsoft LR II which I use

Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my last XF. Mid summer in FL last year was rough. I took it to a shop and had them evacuate the a/c system.. they then recharged it. This also tests the system for leaks and pulls out all the air / moisture. This is a must do.

The AC compressor won’t engage unless the pressure is within the right specifications. Its very easy to overfill these cars with the DIY AC Pro stuff. I paid $100 at a euro auto shop and it fixed it. Perfect ice cold air after that.

Btw, the fill port for the a/c is down low by driver wheel well liner.. with cap.
Joe

Last edited by S-Typer; 06-10-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to use the circuit diagrams and correct test equipment to diagnose if it is an electrical fault. If you are unable to do this, it would be safer to leave it to the experts.

Last edited by EXEF; 06-11-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the same problem. No codes when I used SDD and the pressure has been checked by two different garages, not Jaguar as there are non around where I am at the moment.

I have power to the connector on the compressor but the clutch does not engage. You can see if it does by watching if the outer part next to the pulley turns. Arrowed in the picture.

The only thing I now suspect is the DPS, direct pressure sensor on the compressor. This is a know problem and a TSB was issued some time ago by Jaguar.
The compressor has to be removed to replace the sensor as it is up against the block.
I don't know if a faulty DPS would stop the clutch engaging though.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck.

Here is the TSB;

Attached Thumbnails A/C Nightmares-jag-aircon-2-.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar Aircon TSB.pdf (292.0 KB, 786 views)

Last edited by les; 06-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:34 AM

Well I've done as much as I can. I called the local dealer and they can run diagnostics for $170! Thats the life of a jag owner I guess.

Anyway, I tried bridging the pressure sensor on the exterior or the compressor to no avail. I saw evidence of electricity there so I know it's not lacking supply. I did however find this interesting fella hanging below the compressor above the refrigerant lines. Anyone know what this is?

Last edited by Brenden Crowie; 06-24-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:01 PM

That looks to be part of the A/C compressor clutch assembly. This would explain why you are having problems.

The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

That sir is part of your AC compressor pulley. The XF runs a Sanden Clutchless PXE16 compressor
Sanden USA
You might look at having yours rebuilt, that's usually the cheapest route, but new ones can be had for a couple $100 if you search hard. My guess is your AC compressor will be seizing up soon with those parts missing from it so don't drive it until you address that problem.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-26-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
That sir is part of your AC compressor pulley. The XF runs a Sanden Clutchless PEX16 compressor
Sanden USA
You might look at having yours rebuilt, that's usually the cheapest route, but new ones can be had for a couple $100 if you search hard. My guess is your AC compressor will be seizing up soon with those parts missing from it so don't drive it until you address that problem.
Yes, you are correct Big Will, my mistake.
It's one of the permanently engaged variable displacement compressor units. No clutch, just a pulley assembly.
Did you mean PXE16?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Brenden Crowie
Well I've done as much as I can. I called the local dealer and they can run diagnostics for $170! Thats the life of a jag owner I guess.

Anyway, I tried bridging the pressure sensor on the exterior or the compressor to no avail. I saw evidence of electricity there so I know it's not lacking supply. I did however find this interesting fella hanging below the compressor above the refrigerant lines. Anyone know what this is?
I don't see how that came from your AC compressor pulley. Just look at the pics of your compressor:
https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...or/60-02292_NA

If that fell off your compressor, I seriously doubt your serpentine belt would still be on the pulleys, and you would have a lot of other problems.

What cut the grove in that piece, though? Something else might have been damaged when it wedged itself against something rotating.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EXEF
Yes, you are correct Big Will, my mistake.
It's one of the permanently engaged variable displacement compressor units. No clutch, just a pulley assembly.
Did you mean PXE16?
Yes PXE16..
Instead of a Electromagnetic clutch it's just a Sanden Compressor with a Denso permanently engaged pulley with a dampner,

That dampner and sheer plate is what has come apart on your compressor. That bearing is probably all that's holding your pulley on right now.
Thats a good price lotus posted on a new compressor and pulley.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-26-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Thank you lotus for the like to that nicely priced compressor. Though, it doesn't look like the one installed on my car. Mine is a denso w0133 and this is the only link I could find to one for retail:

m.newegg.com/products/9SIA91D3BD2784

Is it possible to fix this issue by replacing the pully and limiter hub that broke off?

Also, the reason for the cut in the limiter hub shown in the photos is because the position of where it was lodged I believe the belt cut into it. So obviously I'm going to replace the belt and tensioner pully as well.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:09 AM

To add, this is info I found from denso's web site... Forgive the screenshot format.

The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you lotus for the like to that nicely priced compressor. Though, it doesn't look like the one installed on my car. Mine is a denso w0133 and this is the only link I could find to one for retail:

m.newegg.com/products/9SIA91D3BD2784

Is it possible to fix this issue by replacing the pully and limiter hub that broke off?

Also, the reason for the cut in the limiter hub shown in the photos is because the position of where it was lodged I believe the belt cut into it. So obviously I'm going to replace the belt and tensioner pully as well.
I wouldn't trust that compressor with just a pulley replacement, something broke that pulley and if everything else Denso says could break that pulley is ok, the compressor is internally seized.
Again if you search hard enough..Tricks I use, search the manufacturers name + part # or just the part #, search the part under Range/Land Rover (Thanks Dave T).

https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/ac...rover/lr3.html

As I've seen with Jag before, there must be early and late AC compressor versions for this car, as some use Denso and some use Sanden compressors, BOTH are fine compressors.

And
Originally Posted by EXEF
That looks to be part of the A/C compressor clutch assembly. This would explain why you are having problems.
Made the correct call on this first, I just elaborated..

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-26-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Default Possible solution

Alternatively, you may also find an equivalent in a different brand such as the one here. Not saying that this is the direct replacement that you need but there are plenty out there to choose from. Eg. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OE-LR012593-A-C-COMPRESSOR-forRANGEROVERSPORT-LR3-4-2L-JAGUAR-XF-4-2CM102210/142817379479?fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3AJaguar%7CMo del%3AXF%7CSubmodel%3APremium+Luxury%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.2L%7CTrim%3APremium+Luxury+Seda n+4-Door%7CEngine%3A4.2L+4196CC+V8+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+ Aspirated&hash=item2140944497:g:WR8AAOSwew5bETwa

​​​

Last edited by EXEF; 06-26-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM

You guys are great. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm going to probably end up replacing the whole compressor, but the thing about me, and call me crazy, but I love doing repairs myself. I crave knowledge. And I have reason to believe that a battery issue I had prior to this happening caused a problem with the serpentine belt which could have caused this. The batter was barely holding a charge and startup was tough sometimes. I'm going to try to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and compressor pully and limiter but first before moving on to replacing the compressor entirely. Only for the experience because I love learning about this stuff. And, if I'm successful, I saved several hundred on a new unit, refrigerant recovery, installation and refrigerant restoration. Just my point of view.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

You guys are great. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm going to probably end up replacing the whole compressor, but the thing about me, and call me crazy, but I love doing repairs myself. I crave knowledge. And I have reason to believe that a battery issue I had prior to this happening caused a problem with the serpentine belt which could have caused this. The batter was barely holding a charge and startup was tough sometimes. I'm going to try to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and compressor pully and limiter but first before moving on to replacing the compressor entirely. Only for the experience because I love learning about this stuff. And, if I'm successful, I saved several hundred on a new unit, refrigerant recovery, installation and refrigerant restoration. Just my point of view.
Most here the same way, keep us posted on how things go!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been doing some work on my XFR. Rebuilt the supercharger snout and fixed the rattle noise. I got it all back together, put belt back on and started engine to check everything. Sounded amazing for about 30 seconds then white smoke coming out from engine bay. Looked down and noticed the AC compressor pulley wasn't spinning. Coincidence that it decided to seize or did I put the supercharger serpentine belt on wrong by chance? Thoughts?