XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK nightmares!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK nightmares!

Just getting into Jags, though an XK8/R has been my dream car for a long time. I have been doing my research and understand about the tensioner issues, routine maintenance etc. I talked to a dealer this weekend and told him what I was looking for- late 90's to early 2000 model. He said you are just asking for a head ache. I don't mind doing maintenance and will do the tensioner job myself if need be so what am I missing. The AJ8 engine gets great reviews for reliability, a 20 year old car is going to have its share of quirks but it seems like there is no reason this car should be any different than other cars of that age. What am I missing? I'd like to drive the car to work daily, 60 miles round trip.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

The problem with the chain tensioners, up to 2003, is because they were made out of plastic, and broke apart, destroying the engines. Many engines have already had this done, so you would need to take off the valve covers, to see if the tensioners are metal, and the condition of the sliders. Mine were metal, and nice and shiny with almost unused looking sliders. In another 10 to 15 thousand miles, I will inspect them again. Until then, I have two new tensioners in my tool box.

Don't buy the tensioners they sell for Jags, because Ford has the same tensioner for MUCH less, that they used in their 3.9 litre engine. I think all the 4.0 litres of that vintage had the same problem, no matter what model car they were stuffed in.

Jaguar also did a bad thing, in saying their transmissions were sealed for life, which is obviously the life of the trans, and not yours. The fluid, and filter need to be changed, and the fluid needs to be flushed, until it comes out red. Don't listen to Jaguar wanting to sell you their $74 a litre fluid. Over the years, many advances have been made to lubricants. 15 years ago, it was hard to find, and extremely expensive to use synthetic fluids, which is the norm now. I use a conventional Castrol Import car transmission fluid, because I change my fluid every 30,000 miles. You would probably change the synthetic 15,000 miles later. The Castrol is also only $20 for 5 litres, so you can afford a good flush for the trans, until the fluid comes out red. It took $80 of trans fluid to flush mine out, but I continued another $80, because my low mile replacement trans was also a flood trans......Hope this helps......Mike

Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

You might want to get in contact with Jon89 in your area. His wife's 05 XK8 is a fine example and he can lead you in the right direction or maybe help you decide on which one to buy.

Wayne

Old 11-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

What's different about Jaguars and any other car? Well it's a Jaguar! Can the 1997-2006 KX8/XKR be a dependable daily driver, yes. Can they make you run screaming into the night, Yes.

Anything rubber is prone to failure. Electrical connectors are prone to break. Hydraulic lines for the vert are prone to failure. When kept in climates where roads are salted in the winter or on the coast they are prone to rust.

Look for an 03 to 06, much more dependable, while mileage is important a well maintained high mileage car might be a better buy than a low mileage garage queen. The things that go wrong with these cars is mostly due to age not mileage and a car that has been driven has likely had most issues handled.

Will it put a smile on your face, absolutely!

Good luck....

Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

airshack - you are starting off on the right foot by asking questions and doing the research. I currently use my 2000 XK8 as a daily driver - 55miles rt - so understand your concerns.

Best bet is to find one with a detailed maintenance history - the more information the better.

in the 3.5 years of ownership, mine has had a few snags but overall, she serves me well with regular maintenance at this point. Sensors, hoses, gaskets will continue to show their age, but if you keep up with regular inspections and general maintenance, you won't be disappointed.

I am currently at 147000 on the clock and there are others on here with mileage well above mine.

enjoy the search and ultimately the ride

Old 11-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Get a 03-06 with main records. Low miles does NOT equal less trouble. may folks here will agree that these cars like to be driven, one with little miles COULD be a mess looking for a place to have it.
If you go pre 2003 I would REALLY make sure you have maint history. If you find a car and they have no clue on that timing chain issue walk away. If they verbally say they have been done but that is all they got, WALK.
Many of these cars are at that age where water pumps are going out, radiator hoses, octopus hose (search that one!!) are going, valley hose, pretty much anything cooling system wise.
Then the GREEN SHOW issue with the top.
Jag did not use real good front end components so look at that also, make sure there are no rattles and thumps up in the front. Many of these cars even at low miles have upper shock mount issues, sway bar bushings going bad.
As for the electronic stuff, that seems to be a crap shoot from car to car I think.
1997/1998 models are known for main computer issues, I have been saying here for a time now that should be a regular maint issue like the timing chains if you have a 97/98 model. Easy fix, not too costly.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Deal with the known issues and the regular items that would need to be replace on any 15-20 year old car and you will find the XK8 as reliable if not more reliable than any high end car of the era.

I spent $1000 in the first few months, did all the maintenance myself (with lots and lots of help from the experts here) and haven't spent a nickle outside of fluids, filters, and normal wear items in the last two years. (20k miles)

If my garage was bigger I would have two.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Thank you for your input everyone! I'm going today to look at a 2000 xk8 that has a thrown rod. Maybe from a tensioner issue... Assuming it has not jumped timing, from what I know of engines, replacing a piston and connecting rod isn't too bad if nothing else is damaged. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Internal engine parts are not easily available. Few rebuild engines but rather replace them.

An engine with a thrown rod is subject to many, many more issues beyond a piston and rod.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I WOULD NOT get that car, parts issues, did it get overheated, that is a mess, I would not do it unless you have lots of money and or can fix this yourself. Spend a little more money and get a nice one. These are not the types of cars to take on as a project as that one would be.

Last edited by brgjag; 11-03-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 AM

OK scratch the project jag. I don't need another time consuming project right now!
What would your impression be of a 2003 xkr with 124k miles? $9000. I don't know anything at this point about the maintenance history. Mostly curious as to what is considered high mileage for a well taken care of jaguar?