XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Engine Part Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Engine Part Needed

I'm trying to track down an engine part for my 2012 XF Supercharged. It's called the "Anti-Drain Valve" and it's located between the engine block and the oil cooler. Please see the pictures below, item #2:

Apparently the Jaguar part # is AJ812465 but I cannot verify this as the part isn't listed as a separate item in the parts catalogue. It seems to only be available when attached to a new engine. Has anyone any experience with this part or know how to get one?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

Hey - really sorry I missed your PMs - I had an issue with my browser popups being blocked.

I'm afraid I never found a new drain valve, and not for want of trying - I found these Land Rover diagrams on a Russian parts website that didn't mention this valve on the Supercharged Block diagram, but did have it on the NA block:

You can see it labelled as part 6C751which appears to have a part number of LR012974 - but I can't find any reference to this part number anywhere it might matter.

It's obviously an anti-drain valve but I couldn't find it being used anywhere else in the Jaguar or even FoMoCo range, so I was at a loss and figured I couldn't risk trying to remove it without being able to locate a replacement so I just left it where it was.

Out of interest, how did you remove it? Are there any other identifying marks/numbers/logos etc on it?

Last edited by davetibbs; 01-28-2020 at 12:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tallman177 (11-02-2023)
Old 01-28-2020, 12:10 AM

No problem with the PM's just couldn't tell if you were getting them and since you're one of the few who's had the motor apart, I wanted your input. That's not my engine. I was working with a parts guy from Jaguar Columbia and he couldn't find reference to the part and none of their techs where aware it existed. They were replacing an engine in the shop so he asked them to take a look and that's what they found. I've got a request in to Jaguar CRC in the UK but I don't hold out much hope - worth a try though. Do you happen to recall how it worked (flap, diaphragm, etc.)?

Old 01-28-2020, 12:14 AM

Ha!, just searched for that Land Rover part number and low and behold there it is in you rebuild thread. I should have read the whole thing before asking!

Old 01-28-2020, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Out of interest, how did you remove it? Are there any other identifying marks/numbers/logos etc on it?
The dealership who pulled the part told me there was a Manufacturer’s part number 8W93-6K8O6-AC on the valve but again I can't confirm it's correct.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well if the dealership themselves can't get it I guess we're SOL!

I searched for a very long time to try and find a replacement for this but had to draw a blank. Maybe try some companies that rebuild LR engines, as there seem to be more of these, and they may know?

Old 01-28-2020, 01:04 PM

I need to pull the supercharger and take a look but I think mine is not working correctly. I have a suspicion that this may be one of the root causes of the timing chain and bearing failures people are seeing with these engines. Or I'm just incredibly unlucky and mine has failed.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well, as far as the timing chain failures their cause is pretty well-documented: the metal backing on the earlier timing guides was too soft, and so over time was deformed by the harder metal of the tensioner pin, causing slack in the timing chain - and in the case of my engine, so much slack that it wore burrs into the aluminum block and presumably into my oil as well.

In terms of bearing failures, they are likely almost all due to oil starvation and my guess for the prime contributor is low oil level in the sump due to lack of regular checking and no proactive warning from the car if it gets too low, though if you had a faulty oil anti-drain valve it could cause issues if it got (for example) jammed shut and wouldn't allow oil to pass in either direction, though I don't know enough about the design of the valves and if this is likely or even possible. I know I was able to manually lift the top of my valve to drain any liquid above it back down into the sump, mimicking how oil could pass the other way if there was pressure, so it might be worth seeing if the valve looks damaged or stuck in any way.

Great to get the part number, but sadly I can't find anything on it so I guess you'll need an insider at Ford to look it up, and if you're able to even find that, you may end up finding the answer is "Sorry, we had a run of them made and won't sell them outside of a new short block".

Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 PM

I noticed the issue on my car when I changed the oil a week ago. After removing the filter I saw that the oil in the filter housing all drained away back down the feed hole. This implies that the valve is staying open after engine shutdown, This means that on each startup, the oil has to be replenished in the oil filter feeder gallery in the block (and the filter housing) before it starts to circulate to the critical parts. Since the chains are tensioned by oil pressure, any delay in the tensioners receiving oil pressure would impact the chain tension. That's my theory anyway but I'll know more once the supercharger is off and I can see what's going on.

The following users liked this post:
tallman177 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi am new to this, did anyone locate that part am in need of one.