"flapping" sound after new breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "flapping" sound after new breaks

Hi Folks,

Need some help.

Here's the play by play:

Break sensor indicated the need for new breaks. Brought car to Big-O Tires. They determined that only the front breaks needed to be replaced. I got new breaks and rotors. I also had them switch out my all season Continentals to my summer Yokohamas. Left the shop and drove away hearing a distinct "flapping" sound from the rear of the car (both sides) which seemed to come from the wheel well. Almost sounds like a rotating sprinkler head kind of sound ("thit, thit, thit, thit"). Brought the car right back. Three different mechanics drove in the car and also heard the noise. They took off the rear tires and inspected everything. There was nothing to explain the noise. The head scratching began followed by shoulder shrugs.

Drove it for a week to see if the noise would subside. It's still there. Went back and switched the rear right for the rear left. The sound went away for a few miles and is now back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum taskeyt,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to X250 forum. The Feedback & Suggestion Centre is for posts about the forum and NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

Assuming the Continentals and Yokohamas are exactle the same sizes, did they temporarily refit your Continentals to see if the sound disappeared? As they didn't touch the rear brakes there should be nothing twith the pads that could be contributing to the noise. Could be a balance weight catching one of the rear brake disc shields or even the shield bent against the disc whilst changing the wheels.

I'd get the rear of the vehicle off the ground so the wheels can be rotated by hand to help isolate when and when the noise is happening.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Thanks, Graham.

Yes, they've already gotten the car up and looked at the break sheild.

Tires are exact same size. Furthermore, these were the same tires (Yokohamas) I drove in on before putting the all-season Continentals on back in January. No flapping sound when the Yokohamas were on before.

One of the mechanics suggested putting new breaks on the rear. Easy for him to say!

Thanks again for your insight.

Tedd

Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Brakes brakes brakes

not breaks

Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Have you rebalanced the tires and did they balance out ok? Sounds like you may have a flat spot on the tire from storage?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. They did say the balance on the Yokohama's was fine.

If one of the tires did have a "flat" from winter storage, will it eventually work itself into a corrected state? Or is there a corrective measure that needs to be taken?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately no easy answer to that. It might level out with driving. But if the rubber really got deformed it might not

Read up about it - I'd guess inflation to max pressure (max allowed by tire, not max for driving use) then deflating back to jag approved pressure might help but just guessing

Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I brought the tires up to max psi and drove about 50 miles the past two days. (still making the metallic "flipping/flapping" sound). I'll drop the pressure back to normal today and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you possibly get the sound on camera? Post a video on youtube and link it here? Much easier to say what it could be if you can hear it in person.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can you drive precisely at say 20mph and count how many flaps per second / 10 seconds etc. then the same at 40mph

Then we can reverse calculate if it's a wheel side of gearbox, engine side or something else by the frequency