XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

oil drain vs fill volumes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts
Default oil drain vs fill volumes

First oil change for the XF. This the first car I've owned that doesn't have a dipstick (which seems like a dumb idea) and the first time I've used an extractor (which I must say on the other hand is the first time I didn't get a single drop where it shouldn't be). Now to the question. Says 7.65 quarts refill. The extractor siphoned out 6.5 quarts and not wanting to overfill it, I put back 6.5 quarts. Then I ran the engine for a few minutes, shut it off, waited ten minutes and checked the idiot gauge on the dash and it seems to show full and says "oil level Ok". Would have been so much more useful if it said, "oil level 6.5 quarts" or whatever but no, it seems to function the same as the temperature gauge on the x308. So does the extractor start sucking air with still a measurable volume left in there? Is the 7.65 valid only for the old fashioned bottom drain method? I expect it would have burned some, but since I have no experience with this engine (the Acura dealer that I bought it from did the previous oil change and I have no idea how much they put in), I'm trying to figure out how much to top it off. Or am I absolutely always supposed to put in 7.65 quarts no matter how much comes out?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

If it's full on the digital dipstick, don't add anymore.

It's just like a regular dipstick in that sense. Regular dipstick is usually a quart between low and high levels.

Why would you need it to tell you how much oil you have in the engine by quarts? You don't get that with a dipstick.

Over filling is a very bad thing.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

The oil change on my 2011 XF was the first time I had ever used the extract method. Very convenient, don't have to get under the car and, as noted, not messy at all. Mine extracted just under 7 quarts.

The ease of use negates any excuses I have for doing this on a regular schedule. (not that I cheated on my cars before, just that I will not grumble so much about it now.)

However, I do worry about any residual "stuff" that might be left in that last little bit. Guess that's why there is a filter.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
The oil change on my 2011 XF was the first time I had ever used the extract method. Very convenient, don't have to get under the car and, as noted, not messy at all. Mine extracted just under 7 quarts.

So how much did YOU put back in?

Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm not sure how accurate the electronic gauge is. I drive to work every day and park in the same place. Some days when I check the oil, the indicator is in the middle, and a few days later it shows full. This is always after the car sits 8 hours.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mghirsch
I'm not sure how accurate the electronic gauge is. I drive to work every day and park in the same place. Some days when I check the oil, the indicator is in the middle, and a few days later it shows full. This is always after the car sits 8 hours.
The electronic gauge is extremely accurate when the instructions are followed, I think 8 hours sitting is not exactly what they say. At any rate, if it fluctuates back and forth between down a pint and full then it means you are in between, a few ounces less than completely full. You should NOT add any oil in this case.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
…..Why would you need it to tell you how much oil you have in the engine by quarts? You don't get that with a dipstick.
Because in an "old fashioned car", where you have a drain plug, and gravity will drain all of the oil out, assuming you allow enough time, you know that ALL of the oil pan's capacity is out. You then refill, using the manufacturer's recommended refill quantity, and you're good to go. If there's any question, you use the "mechanical" dipstick for verification.

Using the oil extractor, you HOPE that it has enough vacuum to suck the oil up the 16-18" tube that goes into the oil pan, and also remove all of the oil in the pan. If, for some reason, the extractor is a little weak, and you don't remove ALL of the old oil, you've created a situation where A) there's old oil left in the engine; therefore B) when you refill with what the manufacturer says is the correct quantity, you're actually overfilling the engine.

I readily admit, that at 66 years of age, rolling the car up on the ramps, and crawling under the car to drain the oil, isn't the "picnic" it used to be. But I'd still prefer that, to the extractor method. One other thing....I'd much rather have a dipstick that I can actually see, to gauge the actual oil level, rather than trusting yet another electronic "gizmo", to tell me about a CRITICAL function of my car.

Just my $0.02 worth....

Last edited by leadfoot4; 06-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Because in an "old fashioned car", where you have a drain plug, and gravity will drain all of the oil out, assuming you allow enough time, you know that ALL of the oil pan's capacity is out. You then refill, using the manufacturer's recommended refill quantity, and you're good to go. If there's any question, you use the "mechanical" dipstick for verification.

Using the oil extractor, you HOPE that it has enough vacuum to suck the oil up the 16-18" tube that goes into the oil pan, and also remove all of the oil in the pan. If, for some reason, the extractor is a little weak, and you don't remove ALL of the old oil, you've created a situation where A) there's old oil left in the engine; therefore B) when you refill with what the manufacturer says is the correct quantity, you're actually overfilling the engine.

I readily admit, that at 66 years of age, rolling the car up on the ramps, and crawling under the car to drain the oil, isn't the "picnic" it used to be. But I'd still prefer that, to the extractor method. One other thing....I'd much rather have a dipstick that I can actually see, to gauge the actual oil level, rather than trusting yet another electronic "gizmo", to tell me about a CRITICAL function of my car.

Just my $0.02 worth....
If you have ever sucked on a straw and made slurping noises when the cup was empty, you will know your statement of not getting all the oil out due to weak suction is a completely false concern.

As for "electronic gizmos" that are threatening the very existence of the seniors on this forum, there is a special insurance to protect you from robot attacks, called Old Glory Insurance

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...surance/n10766

Last edited by lotusespritse; 06-15-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
So how much did YOU put back in?
The extractor I used had measure marks. I put back in what was taken out and then checked it around driving it to the store. Registered as OK and the bar icon was all the way to the right.

Best I could do without a dipstick. Subsequent checks on weekly basis show everything is fine.