XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tpms

Hey Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the question because I know TPMS has been brought up a lot in the past. I have gone through prior threads but can't really find what I am looking for.

I just bought a set of winter rims from TireRack and will buy the tires and TPMS separately and get them mounted as it is a bit cheaper.

My question is: Are all 315 mhz TPMS all sufficient? Do they have to be certain part numbers? Other than installing and letting the car sit for 15 minutes and then driving for 20 minutes is there anything that needs to be done? Are there any ways to test the TPMS before installing them? If I buy them online are there any concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks for all the help again!

Aaron

Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

On my car, I bought OEM equivalent TPMS valve stems because I didn't know whether it mattered or not. I'd had leaking issues with the original factory TPMS which were then upgraded by Jaguar. I bought the upgraded ones also fir my winter wheels. The ones to buy are Ford spec.

There is no special programming, the system is a self learning system.

Because of the safety critical nature of these parts and because I can't install them myself I asked my tire professional to select and buy these for me.

Last edited by jagular; 07-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM

So is there any difference between the 4 pictures below and will they all work? They all look like the pictures of the TPMS I have seen in the past but don't want to purchase before I know 100%. Is there an online store that sells genuine parts so I could compare or check prices. Thanks again!

Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Tpms-jag-tpms.jpg   Tpms-jag-tpms-2.jpg   Tpms-jag-tpms-3.jpg   Tpms-jag-tpms-4.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

You want the upgraded shoulder version, top left picture. The top right picture shows the older superseded model which caused leakage and breakage problems for Jaguar. I can't see if the lower two pictures have the taller shoulder you need. OEM quality are dark anodized preventing corrosion issues and with that taller shoulder protecting the threads from sideways stress. Anything less is likely to cause you problems.

If you're planning to fit them into the wheels yourself then make sure you use an inch pound torque wrench and fit them exactly to the specified torque, it is low.

If you're planning to have a tire professional install them he'll be able to get a better price than you can. He will just charge you extra labour if he doesn't get his parts mark up. That's just the way the tire business works in Canada.

Last edited by jagular; 07-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jagular:
AaronW (07-15-2013), BigCat09 (07-15-2013), RoonieQ (08-04-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
You want the upgraded shoulder version, top left picture. The top right picture shows the older superseded model which caused leakage and breakage problems for Jaguar. I can't see if the lower two pictures have the taller shoulder you need. OEM quality are dark anodized preventing corrosion issues and with that taller shoulder protecting the threads from sideways stress. Anything less is likely to cause you problems.

If you're planning to fit them into the wheels yourself then make sure you use an inch pound torque wrench and fit them exactly to the specified torque, it is low.

If you're planning to have a tire professional install them he'll be able to get a better price than you can. He will just charge you extra labour if he doesn't get his parts mark up. That's just the way the tire business works in Canada.
By shoulder I assume you mean the threads? I am unsure if I will fit them myself or not. I do not have a pound torque wrench but if I end up getting my hands on one do you know the torque they are to be set to? I am getting tires and rims separately and the tires will have to be mounted obviously so I will have a shop do that and maybe they will mount the tpms at the same time.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, on the updated TPMS the lower threads of the stem are supported by a taller smooth shoulder giving more bending resistance. These stems are made from aluminum unlike older stems made from nickel plated brass.

If I were you I'd let the tire mounter install the TPMS valve stems. That way if any are damaged during the instal you know who to blame.

I don't recall the inch pound torque setting but it is published info. If your tire guy can't look it up then maybe you need a different installer! Seriously, my expert tire guy asked the Jaguar dealer here for this spec and was told "there's a spec for that?" . It seems this requirement may not b common knowledge out there yet. It is essential though to use correct torque. If your guy can't find it let me know and I'll ask my tire guy.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

And to add to the complexity...I mounted what I was told were Jag oem rims with oem sensors and they do not get picked up by the car. I have another set that I will be putting into the winters (Ford branded) to see if there is a difference this winter.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular

Great info in this thread. Really appreciated.

I just purchased some Jag OEM rims for my XJL SS from a seller in Europe that I intend to use for winter rubber, and the vendor included four brand new TPMS monitors with them at no charge that are identical to the left-most picture as you note. Nice to have this confirmed.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
Great info in this thread. Really appreciated.

I just purchased some Jag OEM rims for my XJL SS from a seller in Europe that I intend to use for winter rubber, and the vendor included four brand new TPMS monitors with them at no charge that are identical to the left-most picture as you note. Nice to have this confirmed.
Be sure to report back if they were recognized. I have had no luck on my 2010 SC XF

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Will do. I haven't bought the winter tires yet, but will update once they're mounted.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

The handbook has a description of the learning procedure. The new TPMS must be on the car while stationary for 30 minutes. Then you must drive at at least 24 km/hr (I think that speed is specified) for ten minutes or more for the TPMS module to read the codes and assign them to the correct corner of the car. I believe the wheel speed sensors tell the module where each TPMS sender is, so possibly city driving is best, corners will speed up the recognition process.

That's what I did and no issues.

We'll see whether it works for my new XF in October this year. Same wheels, new car.