XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cell phone mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cell phone mounts

Do you use a phone mount/holder? If so, which one, and where did you place it?
Please share some pics. I'd like to see what works good in the XJ before just randomly buying one.

Thinking of getting one that slides into the CD slot, as I rarely use it.

Last edited by GGG; 01-25-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Why would you want to mount your phone in a holder? Most phones connect wirelessly via Bluetooth

Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used Pro Clip mounts in a few cars, including the Jag. They make the mounts that are more expensive, but they also look like they belong and allow flexible placement. https://www.proclipusa.com/

The following users liked this post:
mrlovt (09-12-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Just put it in the cupholder.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by alphanstein
I have used Pro Clip mounts in a few cars, including the Jag. They make the mounts that are more expensive, but they also look like they belong and allow flexible placement. https://www.proclipusa.com/
Thank you for a constructive reply to my inquiry!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Matt, I am considering this in my car too at the moment. My requirements may be a bit different than yours as I am simply looking for something that I can turn on the bluetooth and also plug in a charging cord. I am contemplating mounting mine to the side of the center console, about where your knee would rest against the center console. This I think will make for easy access should I need it, yet keep it out of sight and out of my way. No pics yet, but there may be some soon.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Thermo,
I ask the same question of you as I asked Matt. Why would you want to mount your phone externally when it can be used through voice control via blue tooth connection. What are the advantages?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Right or wrong, I would because you can look at mapped locations or glance down at a notification. Some of us have phones that may be almost as big as a tablet, so for older model years this could be an immediate upgrade.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the ProClip, clever snap-in design on the centre console..

Matt Cox (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Thermo,
I ask the same question of you as I asked Matt. Why would you want to mount your phone externally when it can be used through voice control via blue tooth connection. What are the advantages?
I know it connects via Bluetooth. My query wasn't about that.
Bluetooth connect is fine for basic streaming of music, but there are those of us who use our phones for more than that.
The continuously updated mapping apps (Waze, Google Maps, etc..) are far superior to my 2014 version of the onboard nav screen, and I don't have to pay to update.
You can't switch what app your streaming from over the Bluetooth connection.
Placing a call is a cumbersome task over the hands-free Bluetooth system. Although the sound quality and mic pickup are good once the call is connected.
I have three kids and a wife, so the cup holder is often full of something else.
etc. etc...

Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

Langstraat, I am not connecting the phone via a cable to use the functions. The cable would be only connected when the phone needed charging. Otherwise, bluetooth on and all functions go through that.

One thing I did not mention is I have upgraded the rear power point to a dual USB power point. The one that I installed has a 2.0 and 1.0 amp USB port. The device also tells me the bus voltage inside the car. So, my cable comes out the back of the center console and then comes forward between the seat and the center console. The cable sits really nicely at the edge of the seat when not in use and is for the most part, just out of site. Yet, you reach down, find the edge of the track and the cord is normally right there. That makes it easy to find and if the phone is mounted to the side of the center console, should make for an easy plug in.

The 2 data ports inside the center console are for the most part used up in my car. The one right now has a 16GB memory stick in it that I keep about 300 albums on for listening enjoyment and I am about ready to add a second one for a different mix of music. If you ask why I don't simply use a 32 GB stick, put 16 GB of info on the 16 GB stick and see how long before you get music out of the stereo and then do the same thing with the 32 GB stick. There is a big difference in time. If I had my way, I would use say a 1TB SSD Drive and keep some movies on it for when I have kids in the car or the wife.so they have something to watch. But ,I can't imagine what that would take to let the radio sort out that kind of information.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I use the SCOSCHE ReVolt Compact Dual Port USB Fast Car Charger In the center console to fast charge phones and in ear headphones
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UWA4O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UWA4O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by XJsss; 01-08-2019 at 04:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
mrlovt (09-12-2019), XJ8JR (01-11-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Thermo,
Ref. I have the Bowers and Wilkins sound system.

Thanks for the explanation of your usage. Although my in-car music library is no where as comprehensive as yours I have my favourite albums downloaded to the cars HD, but generally now a days I use Spotify to access most of my playlists. My iPhone is generally in my pocket, the side of the door or in the central storage compartment. I rarely need to charge it up but agree that this function could be useful.
My Sat Nav updates when a route is chosen to the latest traffic news and provides alternative routes and detours accordingly to on road going conditions.
Here in the UK it is illegal to use a phone while on the go, hence my use of the safer, Hands free option.
I can also receive hands free text messages which can be spoken if I wish.
The T.V and DVD video playback option has only been used twice in the last five years so wouldn’t be missed but it could be a good selling-on point when that day comes.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Langstraat, use of a hands free phone is a mandate where I live too. So, I can understand your use. In my case, I hardly ever turn on the Bluetooth. My cell phone is a phone, not a "do it all" device. I tend to only turn on the Bluetooth on long trips just to make it easier to answer calls if needed. But then, only a select few people have my cell phone. Call me old school, but when I leave the house, I am trying to get away from the phone, not have it attached to my hip. But then, my job also does not require me to have continuous comms with them either. So, not having a phone with me is no issue.

What I could see being useful for you is mounting a charging puck in the door storage and then when you put the phone in the door, it would fall on to the puck and charge up your phone.

Langstraat (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Thermo,
Although I agree that a charging point in the car door could be useful, the effort required in providing an electrical connection and it’s wiring is too much trouble for me to bother with.
I can, if necessary use the charging points within the central console when need be.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

For what it's worth, I use one of these:
Amazon Amazon

I stuck it on the main console in the small blank area above the passenger climate control knob and below the ECO button. Blends in perfectly with the black plastic.

mrlovt (09-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
For what it's worth, I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stuck it on the main console in the small blank area above the passenger climate control knob and below the ECO button. Blends in perfectly with the black plastic.
Thanks!