XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Coolant leak from plug-in connector in front of water pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak from plug-in connector in front of water pump

This is 2011 Jaguar XJ Portfolio 5.0 (Supercharged)

I reently had the water pump replaced and have been since noticing very faint coolant smell. After quite a bit of searching, I found the leak in this small diameter connector that attaches to the front of the water pump. The plastic "socket" part that is inside the pump feels quite loose, and the male connector seem to have cracked a bit.

Does anyone know part number for this connector or the hose assembly?

Jaguar parts diagrams are very cryptic and I simply can't identify the hose or the part number. Somewhere in Land Rover forums somebody mentioned that hose feeds into oil cooler, but who knows.

I find this super annoying because cost of this kind of connector is like $0.01 for manufacturer. Somehow Japanese manufacturers are able to make these parts last 30 years.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take it back to the shop, they should've made sure there were no leaks after replacing the water pump.

The following users liked this post:
Erhead64 (03-15-2023)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Well maybe but I have yet to see ANY plastic last 30 years regardless where it's made???

It's just a wear item that will fail and needs to be replaced. Plastic is on every modern car and all cars suffer from plastic degradation.

Brutal (11-27-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but that connector attaches directly to the water pump so it was disconnected when it was being serviced. As long as it was not leaking before, the shop needs to fix it.

Erhead64 (03-15-2023)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I agree the shop should fix it. Surprised they did not see the leak?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

It's surprising how some mechanics go blind instantly.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Water Pump Leak.

Originally Posted by Juha Lystila
This is 2011 Jaguar XJ Portfolio 5.0 (Supercharged)

I reently had the water pump replaced and have been since noticing very faint coolant smell. After quite a bit of searching, I found the leak in this small diameter connector that attaches to the front of the water pump. The plastic "socket" part that is inside the pump feels quite loose, and the male connector seem to have cracked a bit.

Does anyone know part number for this connector or the hose assembly?

Jaguar parts diagrams are very cryptic and I simply can't identify the hose or the part number. Somewhere in Land Rover forums somebody mentioned that hose feeds into oil cooler, but who knows.

I find this super annoying because cost of this kind of connector is like $0.01 for manufacturer. Somehow Japanese manufacturers are able to make these parts last 30 years.

I am having the same problem. How you were able to fix it - Did you get the part number to replace it? Thank you for sharing

Old 11-26-2018, 03:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonfry
I am having the same problem. How you were able to fix it - Did you get the part number to replace it? Thank you for sharing
The OP Juha Lystila posted the question on February 5th 2018 and has not been logged onto the forum again since that day.

Graham

Old 11-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Gonfry, I had issues with the same connector (due to my own issues) and what I was told by the dealership is that in order to get that connector, I would have to buy a complete water pump. They do not sell just the connector.

With that being said, you could remove the connector (be ready to catch about a gallon of coolant) and there is a small o-ring inside that provides the seal. You could find another o-ring to go in there and get things to seal up again. I would also look at the tube that goes in and make sure that this surface is free of nicks/cuts. Otherwise, no amount of o-ring replacing is going to fix the leak.

Sabrinaservicewriter (01-24-2023)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Default Water Pump Leaking O Ring

Originally Posted by Thermo
Gonfry, I had issues with the same connector (due to my own issues) and what I was told by the dealership is that in order to get that connector, I would have to buy a complete water pump. They do not sell just the connector.

With that being said, you could remove the connector (be ready to catch about a gallon of coolant) and there is a small o-ring inside that provides the seal. You could find another o-ring to go in there and get things to seal up again. I would also look at the tube that goes in and make sure that this surface is free of nicks/cuts. Otherwise, no amount of o-ring replacing is going to fix the leak.
. Hi Thermo, thank you for your reply. I removed the O ring which has one of the four retainers broken. By any chance do you know where I can get a replacement O ring with those 4 retainers. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

Your best bet would be to go to your local auto parts store and see if they have the same part. Otherwise, like I stated, the only way to get it from Jaguar is to buy the whole water pump assembly. Of interest, you may want to look at the Ford Mustang and see if you might be able to find it that way. There are common parts between the two engines and this might be one of them. Never know until you try.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

IF that piece broke it is still under parts warranty for a year from jaguar so you get a new pump. AND the more common issue is the male piece that goes into to it usually breaks and if you are not experienced it what you are looking at you wont notice that the piece is half the length it should be and will then leak down the road. This piece is part of a updated routing and also includes the hose that goes to it and a new large coolant hose. This is a common issue happening every 5 or 6 pump replacements. and since I have yet to see through metal you cannot tell its broken off inside. Only when removed and then it is an additional parts request needed.

Erhead64 (03-15-2023)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Default Water Pump Leak

Your best bet would be to go to your local auto parts store and see if they have the same part. Otherwise, like I stated, the only way to get it from Jaguar is to buy the whole water pump assembly. Of interest, you may want to look at the Ford Mustang and see if you might be able to find it that way. There are common parts between the two engines and this might be one of them. Never know until you try.
Thank you for the advice, I'll take a look at Mustang parts.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Default Water Pump Leak Front Connector

Originally Posted by Brutal
IF that piece broke it is still under parts warranty for a year from jaguar so you get a new pump. AND the more common issue is the male piece that goes into to it usually breaks and if you are not experienced it what you are looking at you wont notice that the piece is half the length it should be and will then leak down the road. This piece is part of a updated routing and also includes the hose that goes to it and a new large coolant hose. This is a common issue happening every 5 or 6 pump replacements. and since I have yet to see through metal you cannot tell its broken off inside. Only when removed and then it is an additional parts request needed.
Thank you for your reply and additional information about male connector from the hose. Do you know the part number and name of the complete hose that connects to water pump. Thanks

Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gonfry

thank you for your reply and additional information about male connector from the hose. Do you know the part number and name of the complete hose that connects to water pump. Thanks
lol somehow i knew that was going to be the next question. No

Old 11-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Gonfry, there are a few different version of this hose out there. So, without knowing which version waterpump you have, it is hard to say what would be the correct part you would need. They are up to something like Version 5 or 6 (seem to recall my local dealership saying something to that effect). each one has its little changes and why Jaguar says that when you buy the water pump, you need to also buy a few other parts to ensure you have all the correct pieces to make it work properly.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
lol somehow i knew that was going to be the next question. No
This probably shouldn't be a question asked on the forums. Go out and talk to your dealer/shop and if they have a recommended coolant hose go with that. Usually I cut them to length.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Gonfry, there are a few different version of this hose out there. So, without knowing which version waterpump you have, it is hard to say what would be the correct part you would need. They are up to something like Version 5 or 6 (seem to recall my local dealership saying something to that effect). each one has its little changes and why Jaguar says that when you buy the water pump, you need to also buy a few other parts to ensure you have all the correct pieces to make it work properly.
Chris this is not true. while there are many changes to the water pumps. they are internal changes but still the same externally. The only external change is there is no longer "FORMOCO" cast into the back of the housings. Its blank. And while I DO NOT normally run down part numbers, prices, diagnosis I have to look up and spend my or parts dept time on for free I'll make an exception to this THIS time.
Part number for the hose and the pipe that BOTH must be changed is
C2Z28467
AJ813565

Last edited by Brutal; 11-29-2018 at 08:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
GoFaster (01-10-2022), Harley (07-07-2022), Reaxions (04-06-2022), TXFireblade (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Brutal for the part numbers!
The 5.0L water pump has had so many different part numbers I lost track at the 6th or 7th revision.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

As an owner that went through 3 pumps. They, finally, got reliable when they were went from the ford/German 3 piece pump to the JLR Italian 2 piece pump, IMHO...Trying to upload images is not working for me right now.

Last edited by XJsss; 11-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from plug-in connector in front of water pump