XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

DEI remote start/Smart Start installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default DEI remote start/Smart Start installed

I wanted to share this with you guys since Ive seen some people express interest in a remote starter, but there didn't seem to be a lot of experience or support from installers. I searched on here and Google, and only a couple of results popped up. Even my installer had to do a lot of research on how to do this, since there is no direct kit or interface available from anyone yet.

So it is a DEI/Clifford 7941X remote start unit with the Smart Start module. I can start the car from the main remote, secondary remote, or from the app on my cell phone. The app lets you lock, unlock, start the car, also you get text alerts if anything goes off, like the shock sensor, or if the battery is running low. You can also use it to track GPS location and speed, so you can see if the dealer is screwing around in the car.

The main remote has a range of over a mile, and its a 2 way remote, so you get confirmation back when the engine starts. The secondary remote has less range, but I can still be out of sight of the car and have it work. The app can send the commands anywhere you have cell signal, and as long as the car can receive cell signal, it will start up for you. Mine is set to run for 25 minutes before it times out and shuts down. Ive had this DEI system in my last 4 cars and I love it.

There are a couple of caveats, because there isnt a real interface yet, all this was cutting wires and splicing and some trial and error:
  • The remote start will run until you get in the car and press the brake or the start button, then it shuts off. You have to fire it up again once you are in. This has something to do with how the Jag sends signals between ignition and brain and such (i dont fully understand).
  • The DEI remote is just for the remote start and some monitoring, it doesnt unlock or lock the car because it is always in Valet mode, once again due to how Jag's security and ignition system works. The Jaguar remote still works for all functions, except:
  • When the car is running via remote start, you have to get in using comfort access at the door handle. Hitting unlock on either remote wont unlock the door, again because of the OEM security.
For me, these are small issues compared to the benefits in winter and summer for the remote start. I carry around both big *** remotes, but i could just use the Jaguar remote and my cell phone, if I wanted to. If any of you guys are interested, I seriously recommend it. The shop that did the install is called Unexpected Creations in Edison, NJ. I've gone to them for years and they said they are definitely up for doing this again. I expect with some fine tuning some of these little issues will be worked out, but being that this was the guinea pig car, if you will, the challenge was to make it work in general, then work out the small stuff later.

Ill post a video later showing how it works and such, for those who arent familiar.

Attached Thumbnails DEI remote start/Smart Start installed-resized_20180104_153253_4386.jpeg   DEI remote start/Smart Start installed-2018010595141358951515179749316.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Hank Scorpio:
1 of 19 (01-06-2018), Angus (01-08-2018), reyesfam (01-16-2018), SunFlower (06-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM

I mentioned some little quirks that need to be worked out, and I experienced one today:

Remote started the car about 10 minutes before i left today. I tossed my bag in the back seat (with my keys in it) and opened the front door and hit the brake to shut off the car, with the intent of restarting it again after I moved some stuff into the trunk. I forgot that, for whatever reason, once you hit the brake or START to kill the engine, the car locks itself. Not quite sure why, but it does. So when i hit the brake and then instinctively shut the front door, the car locked, with my keys in it. It shouldnt be able to do that, but it was able to after this remote start install. I wasnt able to unlock using the Smart Start app either, assuming because the keys were in the car and the car was "confused". Weirdly, I was able to open the trunk, which obviously did me no good, and the mirrors did not fold in when it was locked.

Either way, I had to have my buddy bring my spare key over, since my keys were in the damn car and the door from the garage to the house was locked. So lesson learned, and next time I go to my installer we are going to look at what caused that little glitch in the matrix, but if anyone is interested in doing this, it is something to watch out for.

Interestingly, once I removed the keys from the car and tried to use the app to lock the car, it DID work this time, but the mirrors still did not fold in upon locking.

TL;DR - the car locks when you hit the brake to shut off the remote start. dont be outside the car when you do this.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you contacted DEI about trying to fix this on their end? I see potential with this but would not install it due to the issues you are describing. My car is garaged day and night so no real need for auto-start. And to be clear, are you saying you have to use the emergency key to get in?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM

He has been in contact with DEI yeah, and next time I go up we will continue to work on this, but I definitely agree that more kinks need to be worked out.

But no you don't have to use the emergency key. You use the factory fob to lock and unlock, and the app will lock and unlock. It's just the DEI remote is only used for remote start. Mine is garaged at home but not at work, so it comes in handy during extreme temperatures.

I plan on updating people when I go back. It's by no means an inconvenience at the moment tho.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any update on this?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Hey Roket,
No update on this unfortunately, but its mostly because those little quirks never really got to me enough to pursue it, and after that one incident, it never repeated itself. I dont even really notice them as inconveniences.

That being said, the inability to lock the car from the DEI remote seems to be unique to my car. It should be working, but something in my door was not sending or receiving the correct signal.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Like you I'm not really interested in the DEI remote and just looking for a remote start system that works and can be used from my phone. If this system accomplishes that without issue and keeps the factory remote functions intact then I'm good with that.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 PM

Thats exactly how it works. Factory fob still has full functionality. I dont even bring the DEI remote with me, cuz the only thing I would use it for can be done from my phone. Once you remote start, you have to unlock the car via the handle, not the remote, to get in, but thats the only quirk there.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
Thats exactly how it works. Factory fob still has full functionality. I dont even bring the DEI remote with me, cuz the only thing I would use it for can be done from my phone. Once you remote start, you have to unlock the car via the handle, not the remote, to get in, but thats the only quirk there.
Not really a quirk since we have the smart key system and don't really have a need to manually unlock with the fob anyway.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, not sure if this thread is still working but was wondering how thi gs ended up coming out? Everything still working somewhat correctly. Thx.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:25 PM
Default Remote Start

Originally Posted by Klou85
Hi, not sure if this thread is still working but was wondering how thi gs ended up coming out? Everything still working somewhat correctly. Thx.
Yes it's still working your post was on there, I am also vey interested in getting remote start for my 2014 xjl as the car and I get older the mornings seems to be getting colder here in the Boston area.
I have stoped in at a few shops that offer remote starts but have procrastinated in commiting to get one because when I mention it to my mechanic he said "opening a can of worms with the Jaguar electrical system"
I keep hoping tho. If anyone have had success with a remote start please let us know. Happy New Year to everyone.
Maria

Old 10-05-2023, 02:24 PM
Default Hey there, anybody got a link or something where I can buy the product?

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
I wanted to share this with you guys since Ive seen some people express interest in a remote starter, but there didn't seem to be a lot of experience or support from installers. I searched on here and Google, and only a couple of results popped up. Even my installer had to do a lot of research on how to do this, since there is no direct kit or interface available from anyone yet.

So it is a DEI/Clifford 7941X remote start unit with the Smart Start module. I can start the car from the main remote, secondary remote, or from the app on my cell phone. The app lets you lock, unlock, start the car, also you get text alerts if anything goes off, like the shock sensor, or if the battery is running low. You can also use it to track GPS location and speed, so you can see if the dealer is screwing around in the car.

The main remote has a range of over a mile, and its a 2 way remote, so you get confirmation back when the engine starts. The secondary remote has less range, but I can still be out of sight of the car and have it work. The app can send the commands anywhere you have cell signal, and as long as the car can receive cell signal, it will start up for you. Mine is set to run for 25 minutes before it times out and shuts down. Ive had this DEI system in my last 4 cars and I love it.

There are a couple of caveats, because there isnt a real interface yet, all this was cutting wires and splicing and some trial and error:
  • The remote start will run until you get in the car and press the brake or the start button, then it shuts off. You have to fire it up again once you are in. This has something to do with how the Jag sends signals between ignition and brain and such (i dont fully understand).
  • The DEI remote is just for the remote start and some monitoring, it doesnt unlock or lock the car because it is always in Valet mode, once again due to how Jag's security and ignition system works. The Jaguar remote still works for all functions, except:
  • When the car is running via remote start, you have to get in using comfort access at the door handle. Hitting unlock on either remote wont unlock the door, again because of the OEM security.
For me, these are small issues compared to the benefits in winter and summer for the remote start. I carry around both big *** remotes, but i could just use the Jaguar remote and my cell phone, if I wanted to. If any of you guys are interested, I seriously recommend it. The shop that did the install is called Unexpected Creations in Edison, NJ. I've gone to them for years and they said they are definitely up for doing this again. I expect with some fine tuning some of these little issues will be worked out, but being that this was the guinea pig car, if you will, the challenge was to make it work in general, then work out the small stuff later.

Ill post a video later showing how it works and such, for those who arent familiar.

Could someone please provide a link for the product? Thanks forward