XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ not starting after Eco Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJ not starting after Eco Stop

I really hope this is just the battery. Stressing while the shop clears a spot to look at my 2014 XJL. Got the following error codes from a shop that didn't have the equipment to do a software update. So I took it to a different indie who can if needed. Essnetially the first shop said they couldn't fix it but seems like the car doesn't think the key isn't present so it will allow it to start. No messages about FOB not being found though and just putting the key in the spot under the dash didn't work.
codes
P162F starter motor disabled
P0A0F engine failed to start
V0402 invalid data from TCM
V0001 High speed CAN Communication bus
V0010 Medium speed CAN communication bus

not sure if can should be cam from the writing of the mechacic who couldn't fix it.
Both batteries are less than a year old. Small battery is Jaguar. I couldn't find an AMG but put in a Pep boys main battery with specs that find CCA, etc. I remember now on my old mercedes I did this once and while it could handle the car brand new, even a little degradation of the battery and it wouldn't handle the demands of the car.
Engine has recently been replaced and timing adjust due to fault in engine install or a loose timing chain from the factory. Not sure which one.
After several thousand dollars over the last month to get this boat running, I am praying it is just a bad battery or a software upgrade needed.

What is happening.
Car went into eco stop wouldn't restart. Interior lights can on and radio wouldn't go off when pushed the button. Probably due to my bluetooth wanting to route the call to the tow truck through the car. A few minutes started up with no problems and no CEL. Stopped the car restarted. Stopped at a red light eco stop did its job would not restart afterward. Sometimes the Jaguar logo came up like it does when the key is in range. Sometimes just saw the indicator for emergency lights and mileage. Did she a eco stop start/stop fail when I turned it off. Sometimes park in red came up on the screen. Found the lever to put in neutral when the tow truck came up. Started after that. The first shop got it started but couldn't get it started again. Not sure if it is something about eco stop not coming out of park and stop mode when it engages or something else. Not sure if putting in neutral manually with the lever in console reset it and made it work or if it is a coincidence. It has been in the shop for 3 months and now it is back in less than a week. Getting sick of this. Just want it to run long enough to sell it at this point.

I did have the park light flash and the knob retract a couple of times a few months back, battery was maybe 2 months old then but it hasn't happened in a long while. Then I could just turn the car off and back on and everything was fine. Possible electronic component failure or maybe a battery problem? Now I thinking the cheaper battery might have had the juice brand new but barely and isn't keeping up with the car after normal degradation. I did feel that weird air shock adjustment that shouldn't happen that happened when the battery was almost dead last time. So I am hoping its a battery issue and a only a few hundred compared to a few thousand repair. Fortunately extended warranty covers electronic components.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

My dealer uses an Interstate MTX-49 H8 AGM battery for XJ replacement. I would think you can find that in Houston.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

You got it right.
CAN-Controller Area Network. All modern cars use this. Just one of many protocols the different modules use to talk to each other. There is more than one for back up/redundancy purposes and because they carry different types of data.
Since your batteries are both pretty new that shoots down the most common cause for crazy electrical problems?
Hope you can post back because I would have bet the battery was/is the root cause here?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
You got it right.
CAN-Controller Area Network. All modern cars use this. Just one of many protocols the different modules use to talk to each other. There is more than one for back up/redundancy purposes and because they carry different types of data.
Since your batteries are both pretty new that shoots down the most common cause for crazy electrical problems?
Hope you can post back because I would have bet the battery was/is the root cause here?
I hope you are right about the battery. Hopefully, just because my Pep-boys battery is new doesn't mean it was up to snuff. I ran into that problem with my old Merc. The battery worked well on install but died way before it should have. Even a nine month old battery could be bad. So I am really hoping that is what it is and not a electronic failure. Then again my extended warranty covers electronic components so it shouldn't be a ton of money. I will post back the diagnosis when motorcars gets to look at it. There are only about 3 places in the Houston area that know what they are doing with Jags and they always have a backlog.

"It's ok, I own a Jaaagggg!" Jeremy Clarkson

Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
My dealer uses an Interstate MTX-49 H8 AGM battery for XJ replacement. I would think you can find that in Houston.
Thanks I might look there next time. Maybe NTB was just out of stock of those at the time. I had an interstate in my old CLK 350 but it wasn't AMG and didn't last long. Come to think of it Pep Boys only had the AMG for that one when I checked last time. Well a 5 or 10 mile radius check. Near downtown isn't the best place for auto parts.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Absorbed Glass Mat is the OEM-specifed main battery technology. Your new conventional "wet cell" battery won't work properly and you should replace it with a new AGM battery, preferably the Interstate MTX-49 H8 recommended by XJsss, above.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have used Motorcars and I never like to give up and take it somewhere! Top Notch people.
They know their stuff and very honest.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

If you go to this site https://www.interstatebatteries.com/ and put in your zip code then enter the proper information on make and model it will tell you where the battery is offered. I'd call first to see if they have it in stock.

The following users liked this post:
jjweatherby (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Diagnosis was the starter was out. My auxiliary battery was also dead luckily that was under warranty. Motorcars thinks it was the bad auxilarly that probably killed the starter as the charged dropped the amps might have gone up. Also found Pep Boys installed too weak of a battery and I need a new battery. I have looked at NTB, Pep Boys, and Firestone and can't find the interstate MTX so I might just bite the bullet and go to the dealer to make sure it is the right battery installed. I would have never done that before but knowing how much not having the right battery in can mess things up I am not sure I want to go with a battery that specs right but may not be good enough. I did find a champion AMG with 900 CCA at pep boys for about $150 on current special but after the dashboard going out on the freeway when my old jag battery was dying I am not sure I want to chance it.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you found it but odd the starter would work and then not work?
No warranty on the starter?
Of course on old cars this was common and the temporary fix was to bang on the starter with trying to crank the engine.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Extended warranty covered part of it. $1,500 total I will owe about $600. $135 towing, $250 deductible, $125 diagnostic I believe. So not too bad they picked up about 60% of the total, cost of the part and labor to replace it minus deductible. After several thousand to fix a timing problem back in September, I am glad it was only this much. Will need to spend $300 to $400 on a new battery to get it to specs. Pep boys might swap it out if I ask but they don't have any interstate MTX batteries and while they have a couple of AMGs with the right CCA, one is wet so I am leary about possibly putting in another battery that might not be up to standards. It looks like Pep boys sold me something that fits but was below standard.

Did get lucky the small battery was under warranty so Jaguar swapped it for free. That saved at least $300 dollars.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
If you go to this site https://www.interstatebatteries.com/ and put in your zip code then enter the proper information on make and model it will tell you where the battery is offered. I'd call first to see if they have it in stock.
Thanks I was able to find the battery but not a place that had the battery and the diagnostic equipment to reinitialize the system after install. The shop I have it can get the battery though and have the equipment to let the car know the battery has been changed, calibrate, reinitialize or whatever the term is. I may just end up having them do it. I think it is going to be around $400 after install no matter what route I take. It really isn't worth the hassle to try to save on this, it could cause more long term problems.