XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help ! Battery Dead ! Car Locked ! How do I access the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help ! Battery Dead ! Car Locked ! How do I access the battery?

hello,

I am sure you guys are thinking why not call the dealer, well I am in Bangladesh with no Jaguar dealer anywhere within a 3000 mile radius. Anyway I need to gain access to the trunk to gain access to the battery .How to access it ? The car from day one had the issue saying CHARGING FAULT. But it drove fine and the battery guys said its getting OK voltage and no issue. So how do I get the key fob to unlock the doors ? Any solutions ?
Thanks in Advance

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I assume because you have posted into the X351 forum that your car is one of those, i.e the current on-sale model of the XJ saloon constructed of aluminium.

Normally on Jaguars the boot can also be opened with the key but you first have to find the lock entry point. This is normally somewhere at the rear of the boot lid on the number plate light plinth, but that is my car which is the previous model of XJ saloon. If your car has this facility have a good look round the boot lid. On my car it is on the underside of the number plate light plinth, so hard to see.

Hope this helps you

Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Open your key fob by depressing the button on the side. Inside the fob is a blade like key you are supposed to use to pry off the driver door lock cover, then insert the key into the key slot, turn it toward the rear of the car to open the car door.
If I recall correctly, you then have to open the hood to get to the battery charging posts that will allow you to power the cars electrical system enough to open the truck to get to the battery. Good luck with your predicament.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 AM

I just opened my key fob, and there is a small cartoon diagram of what to do, with the blade key on the right side.

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Snkpkp,

I hope this has helped, you need to give the details of your car, year, model etc, so that people can help you efficiently.

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I assume because you have posted into the X351 forum that your car is one of those, i.e the current on-sale model of the XJ saloon constructed of aluminium.

Normally on Jaguars the boot can also be opened with the key but you first have to find the lock entry point. This is normally somewhere at the rear of the boot lid on the number plate light plinth, but that is my car which is the previous model of XJ saloon. If your car has this facility have a good look round the boot lid. On my car it is on the underside of the number plate light plinth, so hard to see.

Hope this helps you
The x351 does not have a mechanical key lock to open the trunk as in previous cars. It is electronic only. Only the driver-side door has a mechanical lock for emergencies. Gostratusgrey is correct in that the sequence is

1. open driver door with key-fob key
2. open hood with release lever
3. remove the cover from the fuze box on the passenger side of the engine compartment
4. attach jumper cables to the charge point in the fuze box - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR!!!
5. go back in the car and hit the trunk release button
6. remove the jumper cables and re-attach to the battery/charge points in the trunk to re-charge the battery

All this is detailed in the manual but the first time it happened to me, I was at a store and the manual was in the trunk! Thank god for smartphones and mobile internet!

The following 3 users liked this post by another_geek:
Bobcat 888 (01-14-2021), CRAWSHAWS (03-13-2018), Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

SNKPKP - 3000 miles from a Jag Dealer and I complain about 40.

And better yet, You, The Gentleman of Jag Forum, helping him
from half way around the world.

~Outstanding~
BILL--------------------------------->

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sorry my "help" was no good, but at least it included use of the key, but not in the place I expected !

Really, the way modern cars are engineered sometimes make me hanker after the older ones.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Sorry my "help" was no good, but at least it included use of the key, but not in the place I expected !

Really, the way modern cars are engineered sometimes make me hanker after the older ones.

I love my 2011 XJ, but I have to agree. I have to wonder, which is more complicated and time consuming:

1. A 2011 XJ owner recharging a dead battery from a lockout-start like our unfortunate friend in Bangladesh, or

2. US Air Force officers performing a missle-launch sequence?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gostratusgray
I love my 2011 XJ, but I have to agree. I have to wonder, which is more complicated and time consuming:

1. A 2011 XJ owner recharging a dead battery from a lockout-start like our unfortunate friend in Bangladesh, or

MISSLE-launch sequence

~That's funny~

Bill--------------------------->

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Open your key fob by depressing the button on the side. Inside the fob is a blade like key you are supposed to use to pry off the driver door lock cover, then insert the key into the key slot, turn it toward the rear of the car to open the car door.
If I recall correctly, you then have to open the hood to get to the battery charging posts that will allow you to power the cars electrical system enough to open the truck to get to the battery. Good luck with your predicament.
Pry off the driver lock are u f*ing kidding me, for a car of this stature u have to pry it off. Why not just put a damn keyhole in the Doors and trunk?

The following 2 users liked this post by aceeg:
Jesse James (05-02-2013), Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg

Pry off the driver lock are u f*ing kidding me, for a car of this stature u have to pry it off. Why not just put a damn keyhole in the Doors and trunk?

LMAO welcome to british engineering

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not a big deal--just a little plastic cover so you don't have to look at a keyhole. Personally, I think it's a nice touch since chances are you'll never need to take it off.

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pa.Bill
MISSLE-launch sequence

~That's funny~

Bill--------------------------->
Originally Posted by Jffcurt
+1

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
LMAO welcome to british engineering
Originally Posted by HouTexJag
It's not a big deal--just a little plastic cover so you don't have to look at a keyhole. Personally, I think it's a nice touch since chances are you'll never need to take it off.

Thank you all so much, well got the door open with the key fob, replaced the battery with new, but it still says CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT, but the battery guys are saying it is getting full charge. Any other 2011 XJ 3.0 LWB Portfolio has this issue ? again thank you so much

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering.....

.....if you ever got a solution to your Charging System Fault?

Apologies for resurrecting this post after such a long time.

Thanks very much in advance!

Old 03-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
The x351 does not have a mechanical key lock to open the trunk as in previous cars. It is electronic only. Only the driver-side door has a mechanical lock for emergencies. Gostratusgrey is correct in that the sequence is

3. remove the cover from the fuze box on the passenger side of the engine compartment
4. attach jumper cables to the charge point in the fuze box - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR!!!
6. remove the jumper cables and re-attach to the battery/charge points in the trunk to re-charge the battery

All this is detailed in the manual but the first time it happened to me, I was at a store and the manual was in the trunk! Thank god for smartphones and mobile internet!
Thank you for these instructions! When this happened on my 2011 XJL Supercharged, I had the driver's manual in the glove box...which ALSO has an electronic opener and therefore doesn't work with a dead battery!
I hooked up the jump leads to the charge tab in the under-hood fuse-box (and the ground on the chassis). The car lights came back on and then...I made the mistake of ATTEMPTING TO START THE CAR!!! Pooof, all dead again and the trunk/glove box still closed!
Luckily no long term damage...I didn't even blow that 100 amp fuse on the charge tab. I came back to the car the next day (after reading your post) and all worked well. Got into the trunk, changed the battery and all is well!
Thanks again!

Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shut down and engine smoking. HELP.

Originally Posted by another_geek

Hi,
My car shut down everything.
All lights were flashing inside, smoke coming from engine.
All power lost. Put oil into engine.
Opened bonnet and put charge through to open boot.
Key wouldn't open boot. Internal boot button wouldn't open boot.
Lights in car coming up with all warnings.
Thinks all car doors and boot are open.
Any advice to get boot open?
2011 XJ L 3L Diesel. No special access near number plate to open boot.
Please advise.
Thanks.