XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sat Nav Update on 2010 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat Nav Update on 2010 XJ

I've heard of problems being encountered when attempting to update the Sat Nav of the 2010 Jaguar XJ. The upgrade is via a Memory stick costing around £170.00 and issues I've range from; extremely slow to load to causing the cars electrionic to fail requiring very expernsive repairs. Undertsandably I am somewhat nervouse about buying an apgrade that will caase damage, does anyone have experince of these types of problems?

Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is being sorted under warranty, its a 2010 model and wont recognise the USB. Dealer has tried to fix twice now and has changed a couple of modules, I'm on holiday soon for 2 weeks so they are having it for that period to sort out.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Default sat nav

Thank you, I read a report dated 2015 that stated that when trying to update the Sat Nav system in a 2010 XJ it crashed the car's systems and a reqplacement screen was required at circa £2200.00, the report went onto say that Jaguar agreed to resolve the issue at no cost to the owner. Given that that was back in 2015 I'd hoped that the problem had been resolved, however I've been trying to update my system since July 2017 and, whilst the system hasn't crashed, the car will not accept the update. I understand from my Dealer that they have an ongioing discsussion between them and Jaguar Tech, but the process is very slow and I was hoping it would have been sorted by now. If you wouldn't mind saying I'd be interested undestanding how yours eventually gets resolved?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do and I will post in early December when its hopefully done. They changed 2 modules so far with no joy. My stance is they advertise an upgrade and if it does not work its their issue to fix (Jaguar that is and not the dealer)

Old 01-06-2020, 05:48 PM

I tried the usb stick update and the system just ignored the memory stick. tried just about everything. Did you get your upgrade resolved? and tips or tricks?
Mine is 2010 XJ and trying to update to 2018 maps maybe this is a jump too far!

Old 01-07-2020, 03:56 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Put it in one of the USB ports. Forget about it, and leave it there for a day or two whilst you go about your business. If nothing happens, try the other port (the one marked iPod) for a day or two.

... in my case I then tried it with the stick the other way around, a the USB ports were loose enough that I couldn't be sure that I had it in the right way the first time. Below is my post about it in another forum:

What I did was: 1) Turn the engine on. 2) Plug the USB stick into the USB port (the one marked "USB", not the one marked "iPod") and wait for ten seconds.

... when that didn't seem to have worked, I wiggled it about a bit, unplugged it, turned it around, swore at the bloke that sold it to me, and tried again. Several times, as I recall, with the swearing getting louder and more colourful each time. I may even have tried turning the engine off, plugging it in and then turning it back on. But eventually I grew sufficient patience to see the "insert code" screen. I'm not sure, to be honest, if I had left it a bit longer the first time whether it would have worked!

This led to the next issue: I put the code in and it said "check code, it doesn't match" or similar. Cue self-cursing for fat-fingeredness, and a retry. Same result. On about the fourth try, I put the code in, took a picture (to send to the vendor to prove that I wasn't a cretin), and pressed enter. Blow me if I didn't get the <<something is wrong, press "cancel">> message which indicated that it was about to start working. (When I pressed "cancel", I got a screen saying "map data loading 0% ...", which was the start of the successful load - I wasn't sure that was what it meant until four hours later - spread over 4 days - when I got to 100%). At this point (and only at this point!) I said a brief internal "sorry" to the vendor, thinking maybe it perhaps wasn't his fault after all.

So, in short, I found it a very stressful, error-prone, slo-o-o-o-o-ow process, but it did eventually work.
I also answered your other post on the subject, at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post2175722

Old 01-30-2023, 08:54 AM

Hey,
Was hoping someone could help, after a problem with the nav unit rebooting constantly I was looking at upgrading from a 2010 one to a 2015, the part number is almost identical except for the last digit. Is this possible or will there be any functionality problems like no massage buttons etc? The car is a 2010 Portfolio. Or am I better of just getting a replacement like for like? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help, please

Hi. Sorry to bother you with this. I cannot find a way to post here. I've read everything on the NEW POSTS page, searched everywhere. thanks Richard