XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Stereo "rebooting"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo "rebooting"

I'm having a very intermittent problem with my XJL. Every now and again, without any noticable pattern, the radio in the car totally shuts down. It picks back up again and goes through the "booting" process (showing the Jag on the screen) and then everything works again without issue. Even picks up the song where it left off (as if I had turned off the car and back on). Speedo screen unaffected by this issue.

Anyone have some ideas where to tell the dealer to look?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RippedPuma
I'm having a very intermittent problem with my XJL. Every now and again, without any noticable pattern, the radio in the car totally shuts down. It picks back up again and goes through the "booting" process (showing the Jag on the screen) and then everything works again without issue. Even picks up the song where it left off (as if I had turned off the car and back on). Speedo screen unaffected by this issue.

Anyone have some ideas where to tell the dealer to look?

Mine does this as well - probably about once a week and usually when I'm sitting in the car after I've shut it off for about 5 minutes or just started going (again, within about 5 minutes of turning it on). It also disconnects my bluetooth blackberry and reconnects accordingly.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

(Totally shut down and reboots.)
Was it a loss of power or is the 'radio' (computer) rebooting on its own, for some reason?
I wonder if the use of a USB port and what is downloaded would effect the system.
I would think the dealership could run a fast check.

GOOD LUCK
Bill------------------------>

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this problem as well. At first I thought it was being caused by the bluetooth connection with my iPhone 4. I had the car in for service and told them about it and the dealer made sure I had the latest software updates for the car (I do have the latest software on the iPhone as well. That did not solve the problem and the dealer said that the iPhone 4 is "not supported" for the XJL radio. Funny, because the iPhone 4 works flawlessly in my wife's 2009 Ford.

Late, I turned the bluetooth off in my iPhone to see if the radio problem still occurred. The problem still happens with the bluetooth off so that has nothing to do with it. Also, it is not the same as the satellite radio shutting down due to a lost signal. The whole radio clicks off and comes back on again after about 5 seconds. I am going to be taking my XJL in for service shortly so I will have them look at it again.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Mine is doing the same thing, just took it in for service and the dealer said it needed software updates which were installed. I have not driven a lot yet to see if this works. The rebooting for me usually took place when driving 1 or more hours and it would reboot. They also asked about my iPhone 4 which works fine in my Jag, but just in case I have a Blackberry that I tested it with too. The system still rebooted using a Blackberry. I hope the software updates work for me, but Jaggy said they did not work for them. So please keep me posted as to what happened when you went back to the dealer for a second time.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Update: After software updates my Navigation and Radio etc. still powers down and re-boots. Please update us if anyone finds a way to correct this.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Mine is in the shop right now. The dealer gave me a 2012 loaner and the LCD screen interface has been significantly upgraded. I linked my phone and have had no re-boot problems in the day that I have been driving the loaner. I wonder if the 2012 version of the software can be loaded on the 2011's. The hardware appears to be the same.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There has been a thread on this already and the bottom line is NO.

Jaguar is not upgrading the 2011s yet. Got a lot of bs from the dealer and Jag Central but they are not doing the lower VIN numbers yet.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM

The service advisor just called and said that there is a service bulletin relating to the reboot problem. Apparently it is related to the amplifier and they have ordered me a new one. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM

I got my car back yesterday after they put in a new amplifier and the rebooting problem appears to be solved. Apparantly, the rain channels in the roof can allow a few drops of water in to the rear of the car where the amplifier is mounted (behind the trunk liner?). They replaced the amplifier and installed a metal shield that should prevent the problem from recurring.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggy
I got my car back yesterday after they put in a new amplifier and the rebooting problem appears to be solved. Apparantly, the rain channels in the roof can allow a few drops of water in to the rear of the car where the amplifier is mounted (behind the trunk liner?). They replaced the amplifier and installed a metal shield that should prevent the problem from recurring.
Lets get this right!
Water get into the trunk effecting the amplifer.
( They say--------Rebooting is caused by water?)
They replaced the amplifier and added a metal shield.

All do respect to you but that sound very strange.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The audio amplifier is located at the rear of the trunk behind some panels and due to an initial design flaw some water intrusion could occur and get into the electronics and do some damage. There is a TSB out that addresses the problem by installing a shield to prevent the water from coming in and it was done on my car at one of the routine service visits. It is really important that your dealer performs all of the current TSB's whenever you take your car in for service and that they keep a record for your car to track that these are done.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
The audio amplifier is located at the rear of the trunk behind some panels and due to an initial design flaw some water intrusion could occur and get into the electronics and do some damage. There is a TSB out that addresses the problem by installing a shield to prevent the water from coming in and it was done on my car at one of the routine service visits. It is really important that your dealer performs all of the current TSB's whenever you take your car in for service and that they keep a record for your car to track that these are done.
Very good to know.
But my first reaction, Its one hell of a design flaw.
I would guess water to electronics would do much more then cause it to reboot.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM

I have driven the car for several days now and no rebooting problems so I think they found the problem. It does sound weird but i don't suppose it was a ton of water getting back there. I have never seen any sign of water in my trunk so it must have been just enough to damage the amplifier.