XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Those cunning extended warranty companies

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs down Those cunning extended warranty companies

So, as some may have read my 2012 NA car fell victim to the water pump issue. I have an extended warranty on the car with a $300 deductible. My service adviser tells me yesterday that the company are paying for the new pump, serpentine belt and all the labor BUT they will not cover the required new hoses to fit the new style of water pump.

Of course, I await results of the compression and block tests so I may yet find other things they don't cover. Such are the joys of Jag ownership.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I suppose if that's unreasonable you could sue.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Many extended warranties exclude hoses. May even be true for the Jag one. It also excludes eg bushings and other items that are considered wearable over time
Check the exclusions / conditions of the warranty. My guess is that’s in the terms unfortunately

Old 11-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I only know one guy that made money off of an extended warranty. He bought a nicosil motor. They changed it with a new one under that warranty.
That is, after they flew in a technician from Jaguar first to confirm it needed a new motor.
That motor was way more than the cost of the warranty.
He had bad luck with cars for a while. First his old engine died. Then he bought one with a Wankel. It died right after he bought it. Then he got another car and wrecked it on a patch of ice. Then he bought the 1998 Jag. That warranty saved him though.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 413 Posts

I purchased my Jaguar recommended extended warranty through the Jaguar dealer and they cover failed hoses and hoses and tubing as necessary to replace if they are needed in conjunction with a covered repair. They have also replaced several suspension bushings. I paid $3700.00 and am ahead of the game as far as warranty repair expenditures versus cost to buy the warranty.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

"Extended warranty" is actually a huge misnomer.

These are underwritten insurance policies. They often cover many of the same items as the original warranty....and sometimes they don't. But literally and legally speaking they do not 'extend' the warranty.

Anyhow, like any other type of insurance coverage, the policies come in umpteen different colors and flavors. Reading the 'exclusions' disclosures is often more revealing than reading the 'coverages'.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My Premier Warranty thru USWC also excluded hoses which does feels like a "kick-in-the-pants" but at 70000K on the odometer, I was still happy to be saving over $1400 on the water pump replacement.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The key to purchasing an extended warranty or service contract, whichever you prefer to call it, is reading the actual contract before purchasing. Don't consider anything other than an exclusionary contract, ie: there will be a list of items and/or conditions it will not pay for. Also make sure you know what the maximum labor rate is for the contract. It will usually be lower than the going rate. Hoses are normally considered wear items and not covered and usually they will not pay for replacement coolant.