XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Which trickle charger / battery conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
CTEK MXS 5.0 is OK for batteries up to 110 Ah. I have one for my XJ8 X350, works fine for my Varta 95 Ah 850 A, even if it's heating substantially during charging. Croc clips are OK too.
Out of interest what gets hot? The battery or charger?

And I've bought the 5.0 and an extension lead for the low-voltage side

Didn't need any terminal adapters as the positive terminal on the battery has a smaller 'sub terminal' attached to it, don't know the technical term

But about the negative, I'm sure I'm right in saying it needs to be earthed to the car... Is this a suitable place? This black cable has 'AC' written on it on a sticker but by looking at it and reading the manual, I'm fairly sure it is an earth point... Just wanted to check. What do you think?

I know I might have issues with that bolt being too big for the crimped terminal, but I'll investigate that once I've got the stuff delivered

Attached Thumbnails Which trickle charger / battery conditioner-cc6juvvl.jpg   Which trickle charger / battery conditioner-lpqmvggl.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

You could use that terminal if you wish. I prefer to hook mine up directly to the battery terminals.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
You could use that terminal if you wish. I prefer to hook mine up directly to the battery terminals.
I thought you shouldn't do that? Same as when jumpstarting a car?

The Jaguar dealer actually said that previous owner had a similar charger fitted like that but they advised against doing it that way

Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

The cars body is basically an extension of the negative terminal of the battery.

If you choose to use a ground point and that point works loose or is dirty/ corroded, then you could end up drawing more current to charge the battery leading to possible damage in either the battery or charger.

My CTEK is hooked up directly to the battery and I have never had any problems.

You do what you think is right, it works either way.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
The cars body is basically an extension of the negative terminal of the battery.

If you choose to use a ground point and that point works loose or is dirty/ corroded, then you could end up drawing more current to charge the battery leading to possible damage in either the battery or charger.

My CTEK is hooked up directly to the battery and I have never had any problems.

You do what you think is right, it works either way.
Alright thanks

So actually connecting them to the battery direct, providing they don't touch each other (obviously) is probably actually the safer and better option

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Charger hot

@JAG_XJ
It's the charger that's becoming hot, during phase 3 of the CTEK process, when charging current is max and voltage increasing, but should be within the specs as CTEK recommends it up to 110 Ah batteries.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

O.K. dummy here! I was on the XKR thread and someone recommended the CTEK 3300 which I have on order. I plan on using it on my XJL probably the most. Is it going to work??

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default Ctek 3300

@Jffcurt:
Dunno if the 3300 is well suited. Seems to deliver a charging current up to 3 Amps, which would be on the low end required. Chargers generally used for the big Jag batteries are the MXS5 (up to 110 Ah, charging curent up top 5 Amps) and, if you want extra margins, MXS7 (up to 150 Ah, charging current up to 7 Amps).

Old 07-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

@Jffcurt:
Dunno if the 3300 is well suited. Seems to deliver a charging current up to 3 Amps, which would be on the low end required. Chargers generally used for the big Jag batteries are the MXS5 (up to 110 Ah, charging curent up top 5 Amps) and, if you want extra margins, MXS7 (up to 150 Ah, charging current up to 7 Amps).
I received this reply from CTEK this morning..... I guess I'll just have to test it out.

Jeff
Thank you for the email and your recent CTEK battery charger purchase. The
MUS 3300 is a great all around charger. I am not completely familiar with
the Jaguar XJL but I am going to assume that it only has one battery. If
that is not the case, please let me know and I will advise based on the
updated information you provide.

The MUS 3300 is for recommended for batteries that are between 1.2 to 120Ah
(amp hours). That is the factor needed for deciding what charger to use.
My guess is that your single battery will fall in this range. The charger
will repair, charge and maintain your battery. I am attaching a product
sheet for your review which contains additional technical information that I
believe you will find helpful.

If you have remaining questions, please feel free to contact us by phone or
email.

Sincerely
Debra Sue

DEBRA SUE TOBAK
CTEK POWER, INC | 2374 EDISON BOULEVARD
TWINSBURG, OHIO 44087, USA
PHONE: 330.963.0981. | FAX: 330.963.0982
WEB: CTEK Battery Chargers - The World's Smarter Battery Charger
MAIL: debrasue.tobak@ctek.com

Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone ever used the cigarette lighter attachment with the Ctek chargers?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a point about where to connect the earth wire to, with the new shape XJ there is a battery monitor system, if you connect the earth direct to the battery terminal then the monitor cannot detect the battery is actually having any charge going in, this then causes the Low Battery indicator coming up on the screen.
By connecting the earth to the bodywork of the car the monitor can detect the charge and is then able to monitor the charge going in.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM

@JAG_XJ
It's the charger that's becoming hot, during phase 3 of the CTEK process, when charging current is max and voltage increasing, but should be within the specs as CTEK recommends it up to 110 Ah batteries.
Alright thanks

Originally Posted by roviw
Just a point about where to connect the earth wire to, with the new shape XJ there is a battery monitor system, if you connect the earth direct to the battery terminal then the monitor cannot detect the battery is actually having any charge going in, this then causes the Low Battery indicator coming up on the screen.
By connecting the earth to the bodywork of the car the monitor can detect the charge and is then able to monitor the charge going in.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info

I've connected it to a bare metal part of that black 'AC' cable I've posted a pic of, there's a part where it is attached to the car and bare metal is visible so I've connected it there

Tested the charger quickly and it seemed to work, haven't left it on for a while yet as I just want to be around the first time I use it to make sure everything is okay

Does anyone know what to do about the boot light? In the time I was testing it (maybe 10 minutes), it seemed to stay on ... But I was opening and closing doors (cleaning the car) and it was on charge for maybe 10 minutes but it actually said "low battery, please start car" when I got in. The charging process probably never started properly so this is maybe why, but even when it does I'm guessing having the boot light on doesn't really help so is there any way of turning it off? Or will it turn off automatically after a set time?

I did try flicking the latch on the lock closed but the light still stayed on

Can't think of anything to do other than maybe replace the bulb with an LED one?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

The Ctek will deliver up to 5 Amps (for the Mxs 5) when in full charge. If your boot lights are on, it will suck a few Amps so that the charging process may not work well and if your battery is already low you will get the warning message. Only way is to force the lights shutting down by pushing the trunk latch mechanism to let the system see a closed trunk. I dunno for the X351 but for the X350, you can't shut down the trunk lights.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 AM

The Ctek will deliver up to 5 Amps (for the Mxs 5) when in full charge. If your boot lights are on, it will suck a few Amps so that the charging process may not work well and if your battery is already low you will get the warning message. Only way is to force the lights shutting down by pushing the trunk latch mechanism to let the system see a closed trunk. I dunno for the X351 but for the X350, you can't shut down the trunk lights.
I did actually try manually putting the latch into the closed position but that didn't seem to work so I think the sensor may be somewhere in the hinge mechanism possibly?

Will speak to Jaguar and see what they say

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Spoke to my Jaguar tech yesterday on where to hookup a tender. They suggested one lead on the battery and the other off the spare tire restraint bolt.

May be a little weird to wire in such a Y, but should work.

I use a CTEK MUS4.3 and it works great on the Ferrari. The cigarette lighter attachment would be cool, but that requires an always on direct path, which none of my cars have.

I will post pics of my install once I am done (may take a bit).

Best,
dsd

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Spoke to my Jaguar tech yesterday on where to hookup a tender. They suggested one lead on the battery and the other off the spare tire restraint bolt.

May be a little weird to wire in such a Y, but should work.

I use a CTEK MUS4.3 and it works great on the Ferrari. The cigarette lighter attachment would be cool, but that requires an always on direct path, which none of my cars have.

I will post pics of my install once I am done (may take a bit).

Best,
dsd
What I went with in the end was positive on the battery, and the bare metal point you can see in my picture in the previous post (above left hand side of the battery, on top of the Jaguar sticker)

And I couldn't work anything out with the boot light so I took out all the boot lining and ran the cable (extension cable for the CTEK) through a tiny hole in the 'parcel shelf' (hole is already there) and tuck the cable in between the seat and the side of the car when not using it, can't see it at all. Then when I use it I hook the charger on to the window and get the cable out from next to the seat

Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,815 Likes on 12,176 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
Jaguar list a 'Battery Charger Kit' for the X351 which is a CTEK unit badged as Jaguar. The fitting instructions enclosed with this kit are:

X351 - Battery Charging Kit.pdf

Illustration 3 on Page 5 clearly shows the recommended connection method:

Which trickle charger / battery conditioner-x351-battery-charger-kit.jpg

Whether you purchase your tender from Jaguar or CTEK, the connection locations used should be the same.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
XJL (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 AM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

I found that the trunk light shuts off after about 10 minutes on my car. The same as if I leave a door open.