XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ vs. QP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default XJ vs. QP

I went to the car wash today (don't blast me, it's a hand car wash) and they pulled a brand new Maserati Quattroporte up next to my XJ at the drying area. It was black with a dark tan interior, about as close in color as you can get to mine. Side by side, the XJ looked so much better than the QP from every angle. I owned an '07 QP Sport GT for 2 1/2 years before I traded it in on the XJ. It had an MSRP of $135K (I didn't pay quite that much) and I only got $56K on the trade in (and I shopped it hard) even though it was in pristine condition with only 24,000 miles. While I owned it I thought it was the best looking sedan on the road, but compared to the new XJ it looks a little dated--not nearly as stylistic. They just have horrible resale value--probably because most people that want one can afford to buy a new one, they don't use them as daily drivers like I did so they usually have very low mileage when they get rid of them, and, consequently, there are quite a few used ones on the market. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful cars, very exclusive, and have a certain panache with the "MASERATI" plaque plastered across the trunk, but it just goes to show how much car you get for the money with the new XJ. And, yes, it had a few squeaks and rattles plus an oil change cost $1,700 at the Ferrari/Maserati dealer!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't know present gen qp never grown on me and never will . However I used to like in the mids 90's Maseratis mey be they were less reliable but I liked the way their headlights looked

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I went to the car wash today (don't blast me, it's a hand car wash) and they pulled a brand new Maserati Quattroporte up next to my XJ at the drying area. It was black with a dark tan interior, about as close in color as you can get to mine. Side by side, the XJ looked so much better than the QP from every angle. I owned an '07 QP Sport GT for 2 1/2 years before I traded it in on the XJ. It had an MSRP of $135K (I didn't pay quite that much) and I only got $56K on the trade in (and I shopped it hard) even though it was in pristine condition with only 24,000 miles. While I owned it I thought it was the best looking sedan on the road, but compared to the new XJ it looks a little dated--not nearly as stylistic. They just have horrible resale value--probably because most people that want one can afford to buy a new one, they don't use them as daily drivers like I did so they usually have very low mileage when they get rid of them, and, consequently, there are quite a few used ones on the market. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful cars, very exclusive, and have a certain panache with the "MASERATI" plaque plastered across the trunk, but it just goes to show how much car you get for the money with the new XJ. And, yes, it had a few squeaks and rattles plus an oil change cost $1,700 at the Ferrari/Maserati dealer!
Wow that resell value is horrible. I could pick one up as a second car and still have money to go eat.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Total Cost of Ownership is always a deciding factor for me. It's hard to think of the Jag as a value car but by all standards in its class it certainly is. I know my Cost of Ownership will be essentially zero for the probable life of the car. And Trade In Value is good.

Yes. We are all smart consumers. LOL

Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm sorry. I'm a total Jaguar nut. But the Maserati QP is a stunning car. Especially the new GTS. Maserati for the win, in this case at least.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I love the post from HouTexJag. One of my neighbors has a '07 QP. Looks good and has a great exhaust note. I do like the Jag styling far better, but the QP (though a bit dated) still has a nice look to it. BUT why did I never get one you may ask. Read the reviews, drive one. Comes in a bit short in so many categories that it simply doesn't justifiy the price tag. (Completely overpriced for what you get if you asked me).
But just like with us Jaguar lovers, I can see people just liking their QP's as much. But I wouldn't want to put up with the "always a bit short" and "always just a tad too slow" when comparing handling and engine to other contenders.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought that the QP was the hottest sedan out there.

Until I saw the new XJs. I agree the Jag XJ blows the QP away.

The Maserati may still have more cachet just from the nameplate, but I love the Jag, and it can even comfortably fit four or five Americans in the car.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 PM

One of my biggest disappointments with the QP ownership experience was the Ferrari/Maserati dealer. They had absolutely no sense of urgency since most of their customers were owners that didn't care how long it took to fix their cars since they were just weekend toys, not daily drivers like mine. Actually, the service manager told me one time that his biggest problem was getting owners to pick up their cars after repair! They had my car for almost 2 months once to fix an elusive camshaft problem that was causing it to hard start. Never again.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I think if Jaguar is trying to sell the same kind of level of cars that the Big 4 are doing they definitely need to get their dealers sync. I would prefer to see them put themselves between the Big 4 and Aston but I know their goals are loaftier than that.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I will have to disagree with the OP. I am not a huge fan of the front end of the QP, but it does seem to look better overall to me than the X351. Has much more of a classic sedan stance which I love.

The X351 might be more striking, but I think the X351's looks really only appeal to a certain number of people.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
Total Cost of Ownership is always a deciding factor for me. It's hard to think of the Jag as a value car but by all standards in its class it certainly is. I know my Cost of Ownership will be essentially zero for the probable life of the car. And Trade In Value is good.

Yes. We are all smart consumers. LOL
I agree that cost of ownership is probably better than some cars in this class, but how on earth is cost of ownership zero for the life of the car? What happened to fuel, maintenance, insurance, repairs? Washing/detailing?

Historically, Jaguar resale values have been absolutely horrendous. I don't know about the new generation of Jaguars, but for X350s, you could regularly find 3-4 year old XJs with under 40k miles in the low $20ks! Definitely couldn't do that with Mercedes S-Class, or even the Lexus LS, although the S-Class has a much higher initial MSRP.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Historically, Jaguar resale values have been absolutely horrendous. I don't know about the new generation of Jaguars, but for X350s, you could regularly find 3-4 year old XJs with under 40k miles in the low $20ks! Definitely couldn't do that with Mercedes S-Class, or even the Lexus LS, although the S-Class has a much higher initial MSRP.
Now I know why I can never afford a Merc !

Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM

I would expect the value of my XJ to be in the 50% of MSRP range after 3 years since that's what the residual was quoted on a 3 year lease. This is pretty normal and in line with MB and BMW. I can live with that. My QP was closer to 40%.

The look of the new XJ is just more sleek and modern than the QP and that's what appealed to me--the QP is due for a major makeover just like the XJ was. I was definitely one of the proponents of ditching the classic Jaguar look that was just getting a little tired IMHO.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM

In the past Mercedes had one of the highest residuals around. Not so much anymore.
I completely agree that the QP is due for a major make over in the design AND technology area. Otherwise the price can't be justified at all.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I will have to disagree with the OP. I am not a huge fan of the front end of the QP, but it does seem to look better overall to me than the X351. Has much more of a classic sedan stance which I love.

The X351 might be more striking, but I think the X351's looks really only appeal to a certain number of people.
Good Point. I love my XJ but I have to concede that the rear end isn't to everyone's taste. I wasn't sure about it myself at first. Very polarizing which I guess is a good thing at a time where cars start to look alike too much.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by gears
In the past Mercedes had one of the highest residuals around. Not so much anymore.
I completely agree that the QP is due for a major make over in the design AND technology area. Otherwise the price can't be justified at all.
In the past, most of the high end car manufacturers were raising their residuals to lower monthly payments to move more cars and then lost their shirts when they had to dump the cars when they were returned at the end of the leases. They have since wised up and the great lease deals are over along with the unrealistically high residuals.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My sister owns a 2008 QP and when she got into the BACK seat of my 2011 XJL she looked over at my mom next to her and said "This is nicer than my Maserati". She couldn't see the slight smile on my face..........