XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 XJ vanden Plas bluetooth error

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 XJ vanden Plas bluetooth error

The 2008 jaguar xj vanden Plas that I just got has a bluetooth error.

I followed the instructions and when I hit the "telephone" button instead of "discover me" it says

"PHONE NOT FITTED"
"This system does not have a phone fitted"

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

May well have no phone & no BT.

The following users liked this post:
tkeeling (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
May well have no phone & no BT.
the previous owner said it did and so does the original window sticker

Old 01-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

The first thing to do is verify that your radio works. If it doesn't, then the D2B fibre optic cable may be unplugged at the head unit or not getting a clean signal. If that is the case, I would try carefully reseating the D2B connection on the head unit. If the radio works, and when you press the Mode button you see a slider for "SUB", then the D2B network is OK, and it's time to see if the PTI (Personal Telephone Integration, fancy Jaguar-speak for BT) module is present and plugged in. The module is located in the trunk, below the nav DVD module on the left side. You'll need to remove the trim panel to get to it.

Dave

Old 01-17-2020, 05:38 PM

the window sticker says it has bluetooth and so does the previous owner

Maybe the module went out? does anyone know where to get this module

Old 01-17-2020, 08:40 PM

I don't doubt that it came with the module, but any used car can have a number of repairs and such that can interfere with things. When I got mine, one of the rear foot well lights didn't work. I thought it was a burned out bulb, but it turned out that someone had been into the seatback and left it disconnected. The seatback was also not properly seated all the way around. Modules rarely go bad, although not entirely unheard of, so I was suggesting some easy things to start with that are more likely. Does it have front and rear parking sensors? If they are present, but also not working, then it could also be a matter of a blown or removed fuse, fuse 32 in the cabin fuse block.

Dave

Old 01-18-2020, 11:08 AM

Most of the signature data was there, I just updated it with miles etc. TKS

Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM

So the radio works, the PTI module is there and plugged in, I now am just assuming that it is not working.

Where can this module be purchased, part number etc?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM

The front and rear parking sensors DO work, and the module is in the car. Now, I think I am down do just a bad module. Where can I buy one and part number if anyone has one?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2020, 10:47 AM

Do you have any idea where the Bluetooth module can be purchased or a part number? I also want to get the voice module if it can be purchased too but I am at a loss as to where to start shopping for them?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Tina

Old 02-03-2020, 12:39 AM

Tina,

I appreciate the kind words. I don't have a lot of experience with these cars other than my own, but so far I have been able to resolve issues as they have come up. I have a long history with MGs that has taught me a lot about electrical gremlins and their remedies. I also have a background in computers and networking that seems to apply to cars more and more with each passing year. I have found that auto modules are similar to other computer systems: either they fail within 24 hours, or they go for almost a lifetime, especially if they don't have any moving parts like traditional hard drives and such. I have found that it is more likely that a connection to the module is loose or not quite seated, or there is slight corrosion on the connection (it doesn't take a lot). Bad grounds can also play havoc with modules as the power searches for the next path of least resistance.

I would start with pulling the fuse for the audio system to reset it and see if things come back. If that doesn't change things, then the next thing would be to look at the ground point G25, which is right next to the CD changer. After that, I would look at pulling the head unit and checking the D2B fibre optic connection on the back to see if it is seated properly. You never know who has been into where for previous repairs.

A good site I have found for information is JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource . There some invaluable texts in there, like the 2008 Electrical Update (http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Y%20Update.pdf) , and the 2008 Electrical Guide (http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf). The Electrical Update has a good description of the entire infotainment system. That's where you'll find some answers to your questions about Satellite Radio and HD Radio (it's not a really easy thing to add, though not impossible).

When you say the buttons are dead on the touch screen, is it just the radio buttons, or are the buttons for climate control and such not working either?

Dave