XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

C2303 c1424

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2303 c1424

I have a 2004 XJ8 with 53,000 miles. Right after (within a week or two) I had the 50,000 miles service in October, the CAT System Fault light came on. The car is driving very well and I didn’t take it to the dealer until December. Codes C2303 and c1424 came up on the computer and Paretti Jag has suggested I replace both air springs and suspension pump—-the “kit”. ($3,770)
Also, codes p1647 and p1646 came up and it is suggested that both front O2 sensors be replaced for about $1,000.
I don’t want to put $5,000 into this car. Is Paretti just replacing everything without trying to fix anything?——usual modus operendi for this particular dealer.
For now, I’m just driving the car and we bought another car to share but I do love the ride of this jag. It is running perfectly smooth and fine. This is the first problem I have had ever with this car—original owner.
Thoughts? Many many thanks, y’all!
Kristin

Old 01-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

C1424 is Left Front solenoid circuit open. The ASM module is looking to see the resistance of the internal coil in the damper so it can control firmness. When the CATS light is on, all shocks will default to firm mode. You should be feeling a very firm ride.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-fault-70576/

Pull the electrical connector from the top of the shock and measure the resistance between those two pins. Should have something like 10 ohms between the pins. If it's open, then yes, your shock is bad. If you measure approx 10 ohms, then you have an open circuit somewhere between the connector and the ASM.

The dealer will only replace parts wholesale. You can replace the spring assemblies for far less with aftermarket options. You can rebuild the suspension pump yourself. And you can replace the O2 sensors with the OEM Denso brand for about $80 each (see www.rockauto.com).

Last edited by mhamilton; 01-17-2018 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

It's highly unlikely that both front shocks leaked or both had internal damper damages.

Jaguar alway recommended to have pair shocks replaced and not one side. It's a $ business.

I would say that your air compressor is still in good condition with 50K miles.

Did Jaguar dealer reset the C codes? I am wondering if C codes came back after reset.

Assuming that you have one bad shock, I would recommend buy just one used ($250-$275) ebay or one new OEM shock ($1,000.00 plus) and let a local mechanic changes one shock. I am weary on quality of aftermarket air shocks. I am no mechanic and it took me an hour to replace one front shock. There is a well instruct DYI video on youtube that you emechanic can view.

Compressor can be rebuild or replaced. Ebay has brand new unit for less than $300.00. I would not worry about compressor yet until replaced one shock.

Same on 02 sensor which can be replace by any local mechanic.

I highly recommend you to purchase a code reader (specific for Jaguar) first before buying, fixing and or replacing I have Icarsoft 930 and purchased for $130.00. $130 = one trip to Jaguar dealer.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for your replies. Here’s the deal: I’m wondering if the C-codes relating to the suspension/shocks simply need to be reset. There does not appear to be any problem with the shocks from a driving standpoint. She drives like a dream as usual. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a “firm” drive.
I don’t mind spending a grand or two but it looks like the car is only worth about $4,500. The dealer admits only one side is faulting but recommends replacing both at once due to cost which I understand.
Many thanks,
K

Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hmm, I would say that for a 2004 car on 53k miles the compressor could well be on the way out, because on my last car, it started to fail at 35k. Much later on I was told by the head technician in the independent that serviced my car that early Wabco compressors were not long lived, and some didn't get through the warranty period. Improvements were made later, but I don't know what year, however my own experience confirms this. I replace the original compressor at 35k miles in 2010, and the replacement was still on the car in 2016 and working perfectly at 115k miles

Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Kertinny
Thank you both for your replies. Here’s the deal: I’m wondering if the C-codes relating to the suspension/shocks simply need to be reset. There does not appear to be any problem with the shocks from a driving standpoint. She drives like a dream as usual. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a “firm” drive.
The C code will reset itself immediately as soon as the fault is resolved. You could put in a resistor and the CATS fault would go away immediately.

You would know if you had all 4 shocks in firm mode. It would ride like there were 2x4s in place of your shocks. Have they already been replaced with aftermarket units? Those would not have the variable damping ability, but have coils to simulate the OE shock solenoids to keep away the CATS fault. So it would not make the ride any different.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Kertinny
I have a 2004 XJ8 with 53,000 miles. Right after (within a week or two) I had the 50,000 miles service in October, the CAT System Fault light came on. The car is driving very well and I didn’t take it to the dealer until December. Codes C2303 and c1424 came up on the computer and Paretti Jag has suggested I replace both air springs and suspension pump—-the “kit”. ($3,770)
Also, codes p1647 and p1646 came up and it is suggested that both front O2 sensors be replaced for about $1,000.
I don’t want to put $5,000 into this car. Is Paretti just replacing everything without trying to fix anything?——usual modus operendi for this particular dealer.
For now, I’m just driving the car and we bought another car to share but I do love the ride of this jag. It is running perfectly smooth and fine. This is the first problem I have had ever with this car—original owner.
Hi Kristin,

Your dealer is telling you in so many words, "We aren't interested in diagnosing the actual causes of your fault codes, assuming our technicians even could, but if you're willing to pay us for work you may not actually need and which may not resolve the issues, we'll be happy to take your money." I strongly suggest you find a local independent mechanic who is knowledgeable about Jaguars and willing to diagnose the actual causes of your diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), preferably one who has the diagnostic system to read proprietary Jaguar B (Body), C (Chassis) and U (Undefined, mostly network-related) DTCs in addition to the standard P (Powertrain) codes that generic OBDII scanners can read.

As mhamilton and Fraser have mentioned, C2303 typically means the piston ring/seal in the suspension air compressor is worn or simply hardened from age, preventing the compressor from fully pressurizing the suspension within the time allotted by the air suspension control module (ASM). The solution for many of us on the forum has been to rebuild the compressor with an inexpensive new piston ring from our member Andy at bagpipingandy.com. In a few cases, owners have also required a new compressor cylinder head at additional cost. Any competent mechanic can rebuild the compressor in a couple of hours.

C1424 can be cause if the electrical connector on top of the front right air spring is bumped or disconnected, something that could easily happen while the vehicle was being serviced. The electrical connector is small, and the two pins are tiny and sit down in a small cylindrical recess in the top of the air spring-shock assembly. Shine a bright light into the recess and confirm that neither of the pins is bent. Then examine the wires at the electrical connector for any signs of damage. Re-seat the connector in the air spring and confirm the connector fits properly and sits straight up in relationship to the top surface of the air spring.

P1646 and P1647 indicate a problem with the heater circuits for both the Bank 1 and Bank 2 upstream heated oxygen sensors (HO2S). Causes can include failure of the heaters, but it seems unlikely that the heaters in both sensors have failed simultaneously. Another potential cause is that the engine control module (ECM) has failed, but that seems unlikely since your Jag runs smooth and fine. Other potential causes of these codes include various faults with the electrical wiring to the HO2Ss. Since the battery power to the heaters of both sensors comes from the HO2S relay, that would be a suspect. The relay is R12, built inside the front power distribution fuse box (FPDFB), which is mounted in the front right corner of the engine bay. The relay is not easily replaced, but a good mechanic can test the relay for signs that it is operating properly and providing the correct voltage to the HO2S heaters.

Note that low battery voltage can trigger spurious DTCs, so if you're still using the original Varta silver-calcium battery that came with the car, it may be time to replace it with an Exide Global Extreme calcium-technology battery (available from Home Depot for around $119). Other standard lead acid or AGM batteries are not capable of handling the higher-than-normal charging voltages in an X350 and will age prematurely.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (09-08-2020)