XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Clearing Adaption 2004 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clearing Adaption 2004 xjr

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can get the software for the XJ? I have checked ebay but they are all overseas... Is there no where in the states? Or another way to clear adaptions?

Thanks,

Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM

anyone?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

What adaptation are you wanting to clear, transmission? If so, I believe you'll need the SDD to do so. What part of Texas are you in?

The following users liked this post:
JaguarVDP (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you defo need the SDD software. Good place to go is :

MHH AUTO

JaguarVDP (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 AM

JBzXj40, in Fort Worth, TX

Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by gacksen
you defo need the SDD software. Good place to go is :

MHH AUTO

Will this work..

AutoEnginuity Windows EOBDIV EOBDV OBD2 Scan Tool Scanner (USB) | eBay

and then the software? I don't know which software I need. there is software that says v135, etc...

there is also this one..
MERCEDES BENZ SPRINTER Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS ENGINE iCarsoft MBII i980

Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Read that thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/
Beware however that in order to do safe reprogramming, you better purchase an original Mongoose from e.g. Drew Tech or, better, an original used VCM (diificult to source).
Many threads describing possibilities and issues in the forum.

JaguarVDP (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I can perform the CLEAR ADAPTATIONS from the ZF 6HP26 Mechatronics if that is what you want to do. SOMETIMES when choosing that function from the config menu the software will want to include the ECM in the update. (this takes a little longer)

I have not done this in a while but I believe the gearbox needs to be COLD (well below operating temp) for the procedure.
By this I mean that it will need to sit for a long time (usually overnight) to cool.

I am running IDS version 118.5 with a VCM. I did not switch to SDD because I don't work on cars newer than 2009 anyway. (mostly up to 2006)
I also have a few WDS units version 43 for the older cars.

I am about 40 miles Northwest of Fort Worth if you want to contact me.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
BobRoy (04-20-2017), Don B (04-19-2017), JaguarVDP (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

+1 on the gearbox has to cold in order to clear adaptation

JaguarVDP (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Just curious as to why you want to clear the current adaptation.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Take it to motorcarman

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
Don B (04-19-2017), JaguarVDP (04-20-2017), motorcarman (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

If you do want to get a 'clone' Vehicle Communication Module of some sort I can provide you with the SDD software on DVD.

SDD 125 is the earliest that will work with the Mongoose type VCM. I have most SDD versions from 125 to 131.

Some clones are not reliable for configuring modules but are fine for read/clear DTCs in modules.

Maintaining voltage (power supply) to the battery while performing configurations is VITAL.
Many sad stories of module faults with low voltage.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
BobRoy (04-20-2017), Don B (04-19-2017), JaguarVDP (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarVDP
Does anyone know where I can get the software for the XJ? I have checked ebay but they are all overseas... Is there no where in the states? Or another way to clear adaptions?
Hi JaguarVDP,

You've received a lot of excellent advice already, and I echo Cambo's advice that you should take the car to Motorcarman. In my opinion, clearing the transmission adaptations should not be your first experience with SDD.

But that leads me to ask, what exactly are the symptoms that have prompted you to want to clear the adaptations?

Cheers,

Don

JaguarVDP (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM

I created a Thread long time ago regarding tranny not going past 3rd. Since then I have done a lot of work on that tranny, (oil, filter, valve body in and out, etc) I want the software so once I am done I can clear the adaption to see if anything changes before I purchase a tranny. If I comes down to that, then I will have software to still. I would like to have the software and cable period though. I drove it about an hour in limp mode and parked it. did work on valve body swapping and such now, it seems to be slipping all over the place in first now. with that being said, I now noticed there is some liquid/oil on the tranny connector housing where the pins are....smh

long story short, I would like to have the software for this car period if possible

thank all of you for all the info you have giving. :-)

would like the latest software that works for this car as it more than likely has updates and the cable

Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarVDP
I created a Thread long time ago regarding tranny not going past 3rd. Since then I have done a lot of work on that tranny, (oil, filter, valve body in and out, etc) I want the software so once I am done I can clear the adaption to see if anything changes before I purchase a tranny.
Thanks for the additional information. I haven't gone back to check your old thread but if you don't mind, can you tell us if the transmission was shifting 1-2-3 and then not shifting further, or was it stuck in 3rd gear all the time? If you had Reverse and 1-3, but not 4-6, it could be an internal issue such as the E-clutch or MV solenoid. If you're stuck in 3rd gear all the time, that is probably Limp Home Mode and the cause may be electrical/electronic (such as oil in the electrical connector).

Have you scanned for diagnostic trouble codes? You probably have at least some Powertrain (P-prefix) codes flagged, but also possibly some Network (U) and Chassis (C) codes that can only be read by scanners capable of reading proprietary Jaguar codes.

I recently serviced the transmission on an '05 XJ8L that was shifting roughly up to about 4th gear. I flushed the fluid and things improved noticeably, but not completely. I cleared the adaptations and then updated the firmware to the latest file in SDD v. 131.03 and the owner says the transmission now shifts perfectly (after he drove it for a few days to adapt to his driving style). I think if you clear the adaptations it would also be worth updating the firmware.

I also have SDD v. 134, but have found that for some reason the v. 131.03 package has more update files, so that's the one I use whenever I need to try an update. Version 131.03 also reverts to IDS when I need to work on older cars like X100s and X308s. The v. 134 package will not revert to IDS. All that to say, if you can find a copy of SDD v. 131.03 with all the update files, that will be a good choice for your car.

In terms of interface cables, I have a Ford VCM and a genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose. I initially purchased a Mongoose clone but decided I didn't want to risk performing module updates with it after all the horror stories involving clone interface cables.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.
paydase (04-21-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Thanks for the additional information. I haven't gone back to check your old thread but if you don't mind, can you tell us if the transmission was shifting 1-2-3 and then not shifting further, or was it stuck in 3rd gear all the time? If you had Reverse and 1-3, but not 4-6, it could be an internal issue such as the E-clutch or MV solenoid. If you're stuck in 3rd gear all the time, that is probably Limp Home Mode and the cause may be electrical/electronic (such as oil in the electrical connector).

Have you scanned for diagnostic trouble codes? You probably have at least some Powertrain (P-prefix) codes flagged, but also possibly some Network (U) and Chassis (C) codes that can only be read by scanners capable of reading proprietary Jaguar codes.

I recently serviced the transmission on an '05 XJ8L that was shifting roughly up to about 4th gear. I flushed the fluid and things improved noticeably, but not completely. I cleared the adaptations and then updated the firmware to the latest file in SDD v. 131.03 and the owner says the transmission now shifts perfectly (after he drove it for a few days to adapt to his driving style). I think if you clear the adaptations it would also be worth updating the firmware.

I also have SDD v. 134, but have found that for some reason the v. 131.03 package has more update files, so that's the one I use whenever I need to try an update. Version 131.03 also reverts to IDS when I need to work on older cars like X100s and X308s. The v. 134 package will not revert to IDS. All that to say, if you can find a copy of SDD v. 131.03 with all the update files, that will be a good choice for your car.

In terms of interface cables, I have a Ford VCM and a genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose. I initially purchased a Mongoose clone but decided I didn't want to risk performing module updates with it after all the horror stories involving clone interface cables.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,

Don
First it was going 1-3 very smooth, hung up at 3rd and after a few attempts of trying to shift went into tranny fault until restart of car. Changed out the valve body after I got it to destination and has not been the same since, it was slipping in first and then going into neutral until I turned off and restarted. Took apart old valve body and notice some of the springs were not there anymore as if they disintegrated. Replaced springs and put it back together and put old one back in car no change.

If I start the car and let it warm up, I can go through all the gears sitting still no problem. If I start and shift in reverse before it warms it goes into tranny fault. It still does not drive in 1-3 like it did before, but last time I tried it, it appeared to go through gears with slipping and lack of power, but no tranny fault and it would go into neutral sometimes. This is when I jacked up car and checked connector and notice fluid on pins. Could be a combination of that and possible valve body rebuild and or.....tranny replacement. I can get a tranny from a 2005 and up xj8 same body still but don't want to if this one is not damaged and is simple to fix.

Last edited by JaguarVDP; 04-23-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Honestly I don't think clearing adaptations or flashing the TCM is going to solve these problems.

It sounds to me like the transmission has some major mechanical issues, and no offence to your capabilities with a wrench, but slipping, swapping valve bodies and missing springs sounds like things have gone wrong in a big way.

A professional rebuild or an exchange unit is going to solve your problems, you will just be putting time and money to waste with band-aid fixes otherwise.

JaguarVDP (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

If the vehicle shifts 1-2-3 properly, but no 4-5-6, then you have to look to E clutch. The stator bushing seals the front of the E clutch drum, applying it. When it wears, E clutch loses it ability to apply, burning the E clutch, and dropping internal line pressure. If there is any one shortcoming of the 6HP26, the stator bushing at the E clutch input shaft would be it.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Box:
Don B (04-23-2017), jackra_1 (04-24-2017), JaguarVDP (04-23-2017)