XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My 2005 XJ8L won't start, 14 CODES! Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2005 XJ8L won't start, 14 CODES! Please HELP!!

Greetings My Fellow Jaguons!

I have a 2005 XJ8L that recently threw me a false reading of Overheating and Limited Performance while on a road trip. I pulled over and let it sit for about 20mins and was able to start her up with no issues and drove for about another 30 miles and same thing happens. I did the same as before, let it sit a bit and restarted her and was able to go about another 15 miles and same thing. This time, after letting her sit, she wouldn't start so I waited about 30 more mins and she did. Then I was able to drive about 15 miles and got the same codes. After this time, she wouldn't start. I pulled up Jag forums on my phone while waiting and saw that someone suggested getting a jump and I did and she started and I had no issue for about a month. Last week, after a short drive, she threw the same errors for Overheating and Limited Performance; I pulled over and sat for about 5mins and she started up and I went home. Since then, I have not been able to get her to start. She SOUNDS like she wants to start but won't. I put the battery on the charger and let it get a full charge and same thing and the next day, I tried to jump it and nothing. Now she just clicks. All the lights and sounds work properly, nothing is dimmed. I used the code reader a few mins ago to see what codes I would get bc the check engine light is on and I got the following codes, some of them listed twice. Here are the codes:

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0128 Coolant thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
P0442 (TWICE) Multiple Misfire
P0456 (TWICE) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 Misfire Detected (Cylinder No.2)
P0303 Misfire Detected (Cylinder No.3)
P0307 Misfire Detected (Cylinder No.7)
P1316 Misfire Excessive Emissions Fault
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance
P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected
P1111

I am really hoping you experts can help me figure out the issue. I haven't tried clearing the codes and I don't know how too. I am not to comfortable doing too much under the hood myself because I don't know what I am doing. I am hoping a sensor or something needs to be replaced to resolve this or something not too major. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!.

Last edited by mrkaine; 11-16-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

It's likely to be the battery. That's a lot of codes out of the blue.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Torrid
It's likely to be the battery. That's a lot of codes out of the blue.
Ok, I had been wondering that but since charging and jumping it didn't start it, I was thinking otherwise. I will take it and have it tested tomorrow. My charger is analog, so I can't really tell if it's 12 or 12.9, which will make a difference. I will post what the result are tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Hi mrkaine,

I agree with Torrid that a weakening battery is known to trigger multiple spurious fault codes in an X350, and is one of the prime suspects in a no-start condition. You should have your battery load tested, and if it is the original Varta, consider replacing it as a matter of course. Our member Box has tracked down perhaps the only battery currently available that will work with the high charging voltages the X350 was designed to use for the original Silver Calcium battery. This Exide NASCAR Extreme L5/49 battery is affordable and available at Home Depot:

Exide Extreme L5/49 Auto Battery-L5/49X - The Home Depot

However, I am not aware of a weak battery having been associated with triggering Restricted Performance, which is a mode that helps prevent serious damage to one or more components.

It is possible that your car is suffering from more than one malfunction, so it's going to take some good diagnosis to resolve matters. A good basic tuneup would help eliminate some possible suspects (air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaning the engine bay ground studs).

My first question for you is, how do you know the Overheating warning was false? Is it possible the engine was overheating due to low coolant, a faulty coolant thermostat, a broken impeller in the water pump or some other problem? If the overheating warning was false, a prime suspect would be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS).

You can download the Jaguar X350 Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Summaries manual at the link below. The manual includes a column that lists Possible Causes of each DTC which can be very helpful. Note that Jaguar's suggested possible causes do not always match possible causes listed on generic OBD2 code websites.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...03388427,d.cWw

In addition to the P (Powertrain) codes you have listed, it is likely that some U (Network) codes have also been triggered. To read U codes requires a scanner capable of reading the proprietary Jaguar codes (in addition to U codes there are C (Chassis) and B (Body) codes). Jaguar dealership service departments use a proprietary system such as Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD). Many independent mechanics who work on Jaguars may have SDD or a third-party system like AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar extension module.

One approach would be to clear all the codes, then see which ones recur. The fact that you've had the Limited (Restricted?) Performance warning means that for some reason one of the control modules thinks something is seriously wrong, or that something really is seriously wrong. You really should not drive the car until you know which is the case.

Three of your codes, P0442, P0455 and P0456, can be caused by a loose or improperly fitted fuel filler cap.

Since it is unlikely that multiple ignition coils have failed simultaneously, having misfires in multiple cylinders (the P0300 series of codes) is often traced to an air leak in the intake plumbing somewhere between the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) and the intake manifold gasket. The P0101 code can also be triggered by an air leak.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-16-2016 at 11:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (11-25-2016), mrkaine (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi mrkaine,

I agree with Torrid that a weakening battery is known to trigger multiple spurious fault codes in an X350, and is one of the prime suspects in a no-start condition. You should have your battery load tested, and if it is the original Varta, consider replacing it as a matter of course. Our member Box has tracked down perhaps the only battery currently available that will work with the high charging voltages the X350 was designed to use for the original Silver Calcium battery. This Exide NASCAR Extreme L5/49 battery is affordable and available at Home Depot:

Exide Extreme L5/49 Auto Battery-L5/49X - The Home Depot

However, I am not aware of a weak battery having been associated with triggering Restricted Performance, which is a mode that helps prevent serious damage to one or more components.

It is possible that your car is suffering from more than one malfunction, so it's going to take some good diagnosis to resolve matters. A good basic tuneup would help eliminate some possible suspects (air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaning the engine bay ground studs).

My first question for you is, how do you know the Overheating warning was false? Is it possible the engine was overheating due to low coolant, a faulty coolant thermostat, a broken impeller in the water pump or some other problem? If the overheating warning was false, a prime suspect would be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS).

You can download the Jaguar X350 Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Summaries manual at the link below. The manual includes a column that lists Possible Causes of each DTC which can be very helpful. Note that Jaguar's suggested possible causes do not always match possible causes listed on generic OBD2 code websites.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...03388427,d.cWw

In addition to the P (Powertrain) codes you have listed, it is likely that some U (Network) codes have also been triggered. To read U codes requires a scanner capable of reading the proprietary Jaguar codes (in addition to U codes there are C (Chassis) and B (Body) codes). Jaguar dealership service departments use a proprietary system such as Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD). Many independent mechanics who work on Jaguars may have SDD or a third-party system like AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar extension module.

One approach would be to clear all the codes, then see which ones recur. The fact that you've had the Limited (Restricted?) Performance warning means that for some reason one of the control modules thinks something is seriously wrong, or that something really is seriously wrong. You really should not drive the car until you know which is the case.

Three of your codes, P0442, P0455 and P0456, can be caused by a loose or improperly fitted fuel filler cap.

Since it is unlikely that multiple ignition coils have failed simultaneously, having misfires in multiple cylinders (the P0300 series of codes) is often traced to an air leak in the intake plumbing somewhere between the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) and the intake manifold gasket. The P0101 code can also be triggered by an air leak.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks Don! Great post!

Ok, so to answer your question, how I knew the Overheating was false was I was able to open the radiator cap and stick my finger right in the radiator. Coolant wasn't hot nor low but I still poured some in just in case, and it immediately overflowed. Also, I had forgotten to mention that the week prior to this happening, I was hearing a winding noise under the hood and took it to my local repair shop and they said either belt or belt and belt pulley needs to be replaced. I think it was the fan belt. That hasn't been done yet and not sure if it would play a role here but I don't see how it would. Battery has been in there since 2012 at least, that's when I got her. She has 176k miles on the board. I appreciate the links and advice. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by Don B; 11-16-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Battery for the codes, but worry a lot about the overheating as I never saw a battery flag that!

Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 PM

Ok Guys,

I had the battery tested & its giving off 12v & says it needs a charge although i had it on the charger. Its the original Varta battery, so I'm going to replace it. Are there any suggestions or ideas on things to check after I get the Exide Don mentioned? Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Battery for the codes, but worry a lot about the overheating as I never saw a battery flag that!
What would send a false overheating alert?

Old 11-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Well it may not be false.

But things like a shorted out or bad ECT.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:25 PM

Got the new battery from Home Depot and had to charge it before usage and the car started. I cleared my codes and only the usual P1000 came up. I will drive it around tomorrow and see if the codes come back. Thanks for the help. DonB, thanks!

Don B (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

What battery did you end up going with? I had trouble finding the proper fit without just tracking down a Varta, but ended up getting an Energizer AGM from Sams that was a perfect fit. Most places don't stock this size here and the dealer wanted around $300.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Torrid
What battery did you end up going with? I had trouble finding the proper fit without just tracking down a Varta, but ended up getting an Energizer AGM from Sams that was a perfect fit. Most places don't stock this size here and the dealer wanted around $300.
It was the Exide Nascar battery Don B mentioned above. Just click the link he provided.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 PM

I want to give it a tune up...a diy tune up...but i need some direction...is there a link to a discussion on this? Is it simple enough to do? Thx guys.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

Please start a new thread AND put in car details!!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default X350 batteries

Sorry...posted link but my Advance Auto account info was still active. Stand by.

Last edited by rsa760041; 11-21-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Advanc Auto info active
Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Batteries for 2004 XJ-8 at Advance Auto: I have 850CCA. 2+ years. No problems.

Part No. 49H8....900CCA

Part No. H8-AGM...850CCA

Part No. 93-1...825CCA

Old 11-21-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by rsa760041

Part No. 49H8....900CCA

Part No. H8-AGM...850CCA

Part No. 93-1...825CCA
Ok yea, these are the ones I saw as well and was going to purchase until Don B told me about the Exide Nascar battery, which was $109 with core. If it turns out to be a dud, I will def follow up with Advance or Autozone.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 AM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa760041

Part No. 49H8....900CCA

Part No. H8-AGM...850CCA

Part No. 93-1...825CCA

I believe Johnson Controls makes most of the Advance Auto batteries, and as Box has reported in another thread, Johnson Controls is not currently manufacturing any batteries designed for the high charging voltages in an X350 (established for the original Varta silver calcium batteries). For similar reasons AGM batteries are not advised in an X350.

I'm currently running an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery by Johnson Controls but I suspect it is not performing as well as the original Varta, so I am going to try the Exide Extreme myself.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (11-25-2016)