XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My transmission removal & rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stham
Does anyone else have rusty subframes on their cars? The edges of mine in certain spots are rustier than I care to see. I scooped some POR15 and went to town with a tiny hobby brush. I focused on the front subframe arms and the rearmost bar of the front crossmember/cradle assembly.
Yes, mine was quite bad. I scraped as much rust off as I could, used naval jelly on it, and then painted it with some Rustoleum.

Here is my thread on it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...member-199299/

Thanks for sharing your transmission replacement. I'm hoping I don't have to do it in the future. My car is pretty jerky around town when just puttering around, but pulls hard when I get on it. I'm hoping its not a transmission problem, but I haven't investigated much.

The following users liked this post:
paydase (05-23-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Restored the front x-member in my XJ40 with POR. At the time, the dealer thought it was a new one installed. Your x-member will now be there long after the car is gone. Years of road salt will not affect the POR. You have to grind it off to get it off. Great stuff.
It's been over a week - it's still on my arms and hands, lol.

Progress goes on.. The trans is in. This was one of the easiest transmissions to line up and bolt in, even with doing it by myself. My makeshift wood & duct tape trans jack worked great

I also rebuilt one of my brembo calipers - what a disaster. The seals I bought made the pistons too tight and they got stuck in the caliper. I ended up using the old seals for the smaller 2 pistons. PITA!

I should be finished up this week..... My transmission mount is broken and leaked blackberry juice everywhere. Im waiting for another one to show up.

Last edited by stham; 04-01-2019 at 07:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stham:
AD2014 (04-01-2019), NDW (04-01-2019), paydase (05-23-2020)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Transmission mount is in, transmission fluid is in (took 10.5 quarts) I used Mercon SP.

The old transmission mount was oil filled. some nasty black stuff came out of it. The new mount is an all rubber design and much beefier

I went into SDD and cleared the adaptations and took it for a spin.

Transmission is extremely smooth, and shifts wonderfully. The engine feels incredibly smooth, that mount must've been bad for a while.

the 3-4 shift is occasionally met with the squawk noise on up shift. SERIOUSLY??
I just started driving and have only put 10 miles on it, so ill be monitoring closely. I wonder if the adaptations will slowly adjust the shifting...

Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Small update.

My rebuilt transmission has 'The Lurch' - It never did this before the rebuild. Im beginning to think the Mercon SP may not be up to the task with this transmission.
The 3-4 squawk is still there, albeit much less then before the rebuild.
I'm trying to scoop up more LG6 fluid and flush as much Mercon SP out as I can.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 800 Likes on 672 Posts

Don't believe the fluid is your issue.
Mercon SP works fine, in both of mine.
It's supposed to be the same, except for the color.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Either the rebuilder sucks - or you need to get your adaptations cleared for the transmission. I would hope it's just the latter.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

+1 on the above however I note you did clear adaptations already.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 AM

The squawk and lurch only occurs when transmission is fully warmed up (aka driving 10+ miles) Hot florida days definitely aid in warming up the transmission faster.
I agree this doesnt seem like a fluid issue, however Im at the mercy of the shop who built the damn transmission, and they are saying that Mercon SP isnt correct. Ive dropped the car off to them so they can replicate the issues.
I know they are gonna tell me to flush the trans out and put LG6 in.. Id rather them just do it so i can come back later and show them the noise is still there.

Or I could be wrong and maybe the LG6 will solve all of my life's problems?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 800 Likes on 672 Posts
Red face

Sounds like you just may have chosen the wrong shop to do your rebuild.
Sad state of affairs when people either have no idea of W T F their doing.
Or worse yet they do, and just do a poor job.
Blame anything, or anyone, for your mistakes, or fork ups
What are you going to do, just how can you prove that they are wrong, hire a liar?????????????
Main reason i learn to my own work, i trust NOBODY, i can't watch do the job.
To them it's another chore to accomplish before time to go home, but I have to live with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Transmission mount is in, transmission fluid is in (took 10.5 quarts) I used Mercon SP.

The old transmission mount was oil filled. some nasty black stuff came out of it. The new mount is an all rubber design and much beefier

I went into SDD and cleared the adaptations and took it for a spin.

Transmission is extremely smooth, and shifts wonderfully. The engine feels incredibly smooth, that mount must've been bad for a while.

the 3-4 shift is occasionally met with the squawk noise on up shift. SERIOUSLY??
I just started driving and have only put 10 miles on it, so ill be monitoring closely. I wonder if the adaptations will slowly adjust the shifting...
When you say you cleared the adaptations and THEN took it for a drive how did you do that?

I was under the impression you do that with SDD while driving.

Also what is the sate of your transmission now?

Old 05-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The squawk and lurch only occurs when transmission is fully warmed up (aka driving 10+ miles) Hot florida days definitely aid in warming up the transmission faster.
I agree this doesnt seem like a fluid issue, however Im at the mercy of the shop who built the damn transmission, and they are saying that Mercon SP isnt correct. Ive dropped the car off to them so they can replicate the issues.
I know they are gonna tell me to flush the trans out and put LG6 in.. Id rather them just do it so i can come back later and show them the noise is still there.

Hello I have the same transmission and the same plan you had also. I’m very curious to know if you got down to the issue. Did you get your valve body rebuilt as well?

Old 05-19-2020, 02:09 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a part no or modle information for the mercedes pigtail? Not having much luck with mercedes here in the UK

Old 05-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MCFastybloke
Do you have a part no or modle information for the mercedes pigtail? Not having much luck with mercedes here in the UK
I used this one, also works on the auxiliary pump as well.
https://zzperformance.com/products/b...oler-pump-plug

The following users liked this post:
MCFastybloke (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 AM
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

It's not the Mercon SP. I've been using it for over 5 years, it meets the Shell M specs needed. Did they replace your solenoids and valvebody seals? Although you cleared the adaptations the transmission is relearning to adapt to solenoids and new parts. I recently replaced my solenoids and seals, didn't do an adaptations clear; had all my previous symptoms that slowly went away the more I drove. Keep driving it, but not aggressively, like a grandma; keeping it between 1200 to 1500 rpm to shift for 500-700 miles. After start driving more aggressively for another couple hundred miles, it should get better. See my thread posted yesterday: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oblems-232872/

Last edited by BlackKat; 05-21-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added thread