XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Non Continuous Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Non Continuous Monitors

Dear Forum,
Please can anyone tell me what these mean?
Regards,
Ray

Attached Thumbnails Non Continuous Monitors-non-continuous-monitors-04.01.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Probably nothing. Do you know for a fact they're supported?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Probably nothing. Do you know for a fact they're supported?
Thanks for replying JagV8 - I don't even know what being supported means in this context, or how to find out either! There are loads more of these 'Monitors', all show as passed. Previously, the last of them also showed as a fail, but now that one shows as passed?
To be honest, JagV8, I am clutching at straws trying to find some sort of explanation for why my car is occasionally but still spewing huge clouds of gray smoke into other motorists field of view from time to time? I have no DTC's; the pending P0783 from yesterday has disappeared of its own accord today.

Last edited by EsRay; 01-08-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Did you ever clean/check the PCV valve?

Difficult to remember as you do not continue a thread.

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Did you ever clean/check the PCV valve?

Difficult to remember as you do not continue a thread.
Hello John,
Thanks for your post - Don't know how you can say that I do not continue a thread when the only thread I have solved and finished with was my EGR Valve and all my other threads are still ongoing?
Anyway, here is the link to my PCV post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-valve-193333/ and as you can see I did not get a reply? I also followed Michael Hamilton's PCV post and in the end I believe we concluded that as long as the valve shut when you sucked at it, it probably did not need replacing.
Regards,
Ray

jackra_1 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Ok Esray.

Just my opinion that if you keep just the one thread dealing with the issues you are having it would be easier to keep track.

Just saying. No offense meant.

EsRay (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

John, No offense taken.
Regards,
Ray

jackra_1 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I have read in this forum where smoke conditions as you describe have been cleared by either cleaning the PCV valve or replacing it.

You might have an intermittently sticking PCV valve giving smokey conditions when it sticks.

EsRay (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you John, my PCV valve was spotless and (from what I can understand) behaved the same as the new PCV valve that M Hamilton bought (which behaved exactly the same as the valve he replaced.
However, since I am at a loss to understand what is causing this problem, it may well be cheaper to replace this valve than to keep replacing everything else, so again, thank you - Something for me to look into again, although my smoke (whilst plentiful) is grey, not blue (wouldn't it be blue if oil was being burnt)? Having said that, can burning oil smell of pungent burning rubber, cos that's what it smells like?

John, I took another look at my previous reply and I did not mean to appear so testy - I apologise!! Here may well be the post you are referring to: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lating-193136/

Not my post, just one I replied to?
Regards,
Ray

Last edited by EsRay; 01-08-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

I was not thinking of that thread however I note I did not reply to your question about the oil catch can.

The oil catch can catches oil vapor on my supercharged car that would otherwise be fed back in through the elbow below the throttle body.

It is in the PCV valve pipe.

It can really "gunk up" everything it touches. This is especially true on SC cars not so much on NA cars.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

I was not thinking of that thread however I note I did not reply to your question about the oil catch can.
The oil catch can catches oil vapor on my supercharged car that would otherwise be fed back in through the elbow below the throttle body.
It is in the PCV valve pipe.
It can really "gunk up" everything it touches. This is especially true on SC cars not so much on NA cars.
Thanks John. The pipe from my PCV Valve goes to the top of the Throttle Body? Bank 2's Breather goes to the air inlet pipe just before my TB? To which of these pipes should I consider fitting an oil catch can, please?. I ask, because I have had another look at my PCV Valve, and I think it is okay. When I pulled it out of my Bank 1 Cam Cover it had a strong vacuum at idle and if I suck on it with my finger over the Cam Cover end I can hear and feel the diaphragm operating? However, there was a fairly good supply of oily smoke coming from the open hole in the Cam Cover and the valve, pipe and TB interiors all have a nice film of my really clean new oil, so I can easily believe that this may be what is being burnt, even though my smoke is a light grey not blue? Obviously what I do not understand is why (for example, today) there is absolutely no smoke at startup or at idle; revving produces none, yet when it wants to it can (occasionally) fire out a cloud that covers everybody around me and then continue to be smoky for some time? Perhaps even stranger is the pronounced smell of burning rubber which accompanies these episodes(one or two times it appeared to precede it - In other words I smelled the burning rubber before I saw the smoke) and on a couple of occasions a gearbox fault has joined in for good measure??
Beats me!!!
Regards
Ray

Googled burnt rubber smell and apparently that is what modern fully-synthetic oils smell like when they burn!

Last edited by EsRay; 01-09-2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Add details
Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

I would place the oil catch can in that oily pipe you see.

I spent a good while finding parts to install my oil catch can as I did not want to damage/cut existing pipes.

If your PCV valve is good then I do not know why you would get occasional clouds of smoke

Somewhere someone mentioned the possibility of brake fluid getting into the system thru a leak in the vacuum line where it fits into the throttle body "area".
This was mentioned as a very remote possibility but worth mentioning here.

If your foot brake function is nice and firm I would doubt a leak.

EsRay (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

John, again - Thank you for that suggestion; I don't think I have a brake problem, but there again I don't really know how my Jaguar brakes should feel? I very recently topped up my brake fluid to the max so a quick check tomorrow could help to identify/rule that out!

I am gong to look into this Oil Catcher business; okay, I do not have a supercharged version, but I do have an old engine with 100,000 miles on the clock, so blow-by is obviously going to be present.......I have nice new coils and plugs, so why subject them to burning any more oil than they have to?
After all, I would have thought that any engineer worth his salt would have fitted a filter system to remove the oil vapour from the reintroduced crankshaft air as a basic system?
Regards,
Ray

Last edited by EsRay; 01-09-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Having an issue that you cannot, for now, solve is infuriating I know!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Having an issue that you cannot, for now, solve is infuriating I know!
John, I have just started a new post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-valve-195032/

I am telling you this because it is still part of trying to solve the same problem, but is a completely different subject - Accordingly, I have started it as a completely different subject?
I didn't know whether to tag it onto this post, or onto my Fuel Trims post or what to do? I don't know the correct etiquette yet?
Regards,
Ray

jackra_1 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Supported as in "are the values returned guaranteed to be meaningful"?

They may well not be as they are not required to be.

EsRay (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Supported as in "are the values returned guaranteed to be meaningful"?

They may well not be as they are not required to be.
I think you are right JagV8; I don't think my very basic coder reader is enabled for these, whatever they are?
While you're available, I read somewhere that fuel trims, throttle positions, inlet manifold pressures etc, etc affect gear changes? Is there a vacuum driven system that could draw tranny fluid into the inlet if faulty, please?
Regards,
Ray

Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ray there is no physical connection between the exhaust system and the transmission.

"I read somewhere that fuel trims, throttle positions, inlet manifold pressures etc, etc affect gear changes?". Yes true.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
After all, I would have thought that any engineer worth his salt would have fitted a filter system to remove the oil vapour from the reintroduced crankshaft air as a basic system?
Regards,
Ray
Engines have been burning crankcase vapors since manufacturers got rid of the road-draft tube in the '60s. Excessive oil consumption through the PCV system is an issue, but in general the vapors in the crankcase are mostly gasoline and burned readily.

You may need to look at something as basic as a cylinder leakdown test to see if you have a cylinder with poor ring or valve sealing. In the old days you could test valve stem seals with vacuum gauge tools, but I'm not sure if you can get that for the Jag engine. It's not likely to be the issue. Valve stem oil leakage typically results in a cloud of smoke on startup or after a short trip, which clears after a few moments running.

Under what conditions does your smoke issue happen?

EsRay (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

'Under what conditions does your smoke issue happen'?
Michael, Thanks for your reply. Sporadically. A general pattern appears to be after a journey of reasonable length and perhaps after a stop and a resume (although we have had a couple on short trips too)? On occasions the event has accompanied a Gearbox Fault light yielding Electronic Restrictions and code P0783 (both of which disappear at next startup). Grey smoke is also accompanied by an acrid, pungent smell of burning rubber. Strangely, on a couple of occasions we have smelled this burning rubber before we see a huge cloud of grey smoke out of exhaust/exhausts (perhaps suggesting the event is occurring in the engine in front of us, before entering the exhaust; maybe pre-ignited in the inlet)? Sometimes the jet of grey smoke comes from one exhaust more than the other? The smoking continues, lessening over time and when it is gone, there is no smoke until the next 'event'!
The smoke seems too sporadic and too excessive to simply be oil trapped in the 'corrugated' pipe from PCV Valve to TB; however, I am going to post a video here (and in my ongoing Fuel Trims post) of the oil vapours exiting my Cam Cover when I (momentarily) remove the PCV Valve and perhaps you can tell me if you believe the pressure being released is excessive?
Regards,
Ray

Quick Reply: Non Continuous Monitors