XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Overhead console wood trim fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overhead console wood trim fix?

So, pretty simple problem, but a workable solution defies me thus far.

I should start with the fact that I live in Phoenix, AZ... if you've never been here, it's hotter than a blast furnace on the surface of the sun...

The battle, is to get the overhead console's wood trim to stick to the plastic bit that it fits into... The stock sticky tape stuff has completely lost its sticking power, and what I can only assume are plastic clippy things that should hold it in also are bent just enough to mean they don't grab the plastic...

I've tried industrial strength (via Home Depot) double sided exterior house tape, but it isn't holding it... I don't want to glue it, as that piece is obviously SUPPOSED to be removable to some extent, but not such that it just falls off.

Does anyone know what the factory sticky stuff is? I would like to try and replace the stuff on there...

Anyway, I'm open to ideas... it's always fun to have that "sky is falling moment" every couple days where it falls down on my lap or the passenger's while driving, very embarrassing when it's someone else in the car...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

If you do give in and glue it, CA or "super" glue is pretty resistant to heat. If the trim piece doesn't cover up any screws, etc., I think I would glue it. If I recall, that overhead unit just pops in to the headliner without using screws.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SaturnV
If you do give in and glue it, CA or "super" glue is pretty resistant to heat. If the trim piece doesn't cover up any screws, etc., I think I would glue it. If I recall, that overhead unit just pops in to the headliner without using screws.
It does just pop in or out, definitely wouldn't be gluing over anything... I guess I'm just a purist and would like to avoid gluing something that wasn't previously glued...

Thanks for the input though, I'll use it if glue ends up being the way to go.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I will be interested in hearing a resolution to this, as my overhead console wood trim is coming unstuck too.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3M Trim Tape

I have the same exact problem on my XJ 2008 VDP, but my piece is only hanging on the drivers side. I can see the slot for the clip latch, but it is useless. There also appears to be some sticky residue when pressing it back into place.

I used 3M Bumper/Trim tape picked up at AutoZone. There is a wide variety of widths and types.

I used the same tape in my overhead console as I used on my chrome rear lamp bezels.

Here is the link to selections of the 3M tape. I used the 3M™ Pressure Sensitive Primerless Acrylic Foam Tape 5849, Gray, Red Printed Liner, 20 mil

3M Automotive Trim & Accessories : 3M

Just use a small piece in a spot(s) you will remember, so if you need to remove, you can pry at that spot and will not crack the trim.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by nyfilm
I have the same exact problem on my XJ 2008 VDP, but my piece is only hanging on the drivers side. I can see the slot for the clip latch, but it is useless. There also appears to be some sticky residue when pressing it back into place.

I used 3M Bumper/Trim tape picked up at AutoZone. There is a wide variety of widths and types.

I used the same tape in my overhead console as I used on my chrome rear lamp bezels.

Here is the link to selections of the 3M tape. I used the 3M™ Pressure Sensitive Primerless Acrylic Foam Tape 5849, Gray, Red Printed Liner, 20 mil

3M Automotive Trim & Accessories : 3M

Just use a small piece in a spot(s) you will remember, so if you need to remove, you can pry at that spot and will not crack the trim.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris
I'll give this a try and report back soon...

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Any idea what the screw looks like that goes on the inside of the sunglass holder. When you open the sunglass holder, there is a screw at the top of the cavity. Mine is missing ��. I don't want to put the wrong sized screw in for fear of puncturing any wiring up there.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overhead wood

Have same problem on 2008 VDP. Guess it's a common problem.