XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Programming keys with SDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Programming keys with SDD

Good evening forum members.

I purchased a gorgeous 2008 VDP last month which came with only one semi functional key. The dealer who was 2000 miles away sent me another newly cut key but explained that the keys would have to be programmed by a dealer. I've read here that this is possible using VCM with the proper IDS software. What I see when I connect the VCM to the car is a basic diagnostic menu, but no access to creating a set of keys. There is a gold key on the main page which I believe leads to coded functions. However it is asking for a password to a specific seed number. Is there a calculator available for this, or can anyone who has godlike access, please help me?

Many thanks -- I have attached a photo of the seed screen.

Cheers all!
Chris

Attached Thumbnails Programming keys with SDD-codejag.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Hi Chris,

This should probably go in the main thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...e5/#post602124 you should have a read through that thread before getting too deep into SDD. If something goes wrong you could have a very immobile pile of aluminium & plastic sitting in your driveway!

Forget about the Golden Key that's the engineering mode & it's not what you are looking for....

But first things first, does the new key the dealer sent you start the car? If it does then you only need to reprogram the remote, and that can be done without SDD, have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2005-a-34092/

If the key does not start the car, then I have to wonder why the dealer even bothered....

To reprogram the key transponder (in the key itself, not the remote) you need to open a "Service Session" in SDD, after going through all the scans I think it's under Extras or Service Functions, you should see the option to program a new key.

Or maybe you will have to go through a "Diagnostic Session" and select a symptom of key not working or something like that, which will then bring up a recommendation to reprogram security or something similar. Sorry I don't remember exactly where it is now.

You will have to reprogram any other keys for the car at the same time, or the others will no longer work.

Make sure you have a battery charger hooked up to the car, and your laptop is running off mains power.

As I said there is always an element of risk while playing around with these things, if the software crashes or locks up in the middle of programming, it can mean having to reprogram the whole car.

Be careful!

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
nyfilm (11-03-2013), perfwise (05-21-2022), PigletJohn (12-24-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 AM

Thanks so much for the heads up! No, the key the dealer sent me will not start the car, He told me it needed dealer level programming since I only had one functioning key, not two, which would have made it doable. Programming the remotes I figured out by reading some informative posts here on the forum. I'm always a tinkerer, but I guess I may just have the extra key cloned by my local auto locksmith. I just can't see taking it to Manhattan Jaguar for a $500 key job.

Thank you again for responding and leading me towards the right direction!

Cheers!
Chris

Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Default Resolved

So I took the long shot of programming my transponder key fob PATS chip today using JLR Version 131 and a cloned VCM tool, I was able to successfully erase and reprogram my two keys. If anyone wants the steps I will gladly repost. It is quite scary when you hit the "erase all transponders" button!

Saved a trip to Manhattan and about $400.

Cheers!
Chris

The following 3 users liked this post by nyfilm:
Cambo (11-10-2013), Norri (11-10-2013), Pete M (06-19-2023)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Well done!

The following users liked this post:
nyfilm (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Well done, please post the details.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

@Cambo
You say "Make sure you have a battery charger hooked up to the car, and your laptop is running off mains power."
I have carefully read the thread on the cloned dealer scan tool and I understand why a battery charger has to be hooked up to the car.
What I do not understand is why you recommend not running on main power: if the cell battery of the laptop runs out during the process you would be stuck! So why?
@nyfilm
Could you tell which was the cloned Mongoose seller you used?
Thx

Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Serge, I think you have misread Cameron says "and your laptop is running off mains power"

Meaning it should be plugged in to the power supply.

paydase (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Hello all --

Please understand I am not an expert in JRL IDS software or using the VCM tool. I was simply experimenting to avoid an expensive trip to the dealer to get a key programmed.

I used a VCM clone purchased off eBay for $299 along with Version 131 of the JLR software. There is no need to use the standard Panasonic Toughbook, any decent Windows XP Pro laptop with functional USB ports will work. I used an 8 year old Sony Vaio and it ran fine. You need to keep the battery charger attached to the vehicle because when you start the "data collection" process on your vehicle, the software had to identify and put the car through many tests. The switch must be in the on position for all of this to happen and not be running. The procedure takes about 5-10 minutes using the software and hardware I have, it may go faster for others.

Once everything is hard wired to power, your battery and your laptop. Start up the laptop with the usb connected to the VCM and the VCM to the OBD port under your driver side footwell. My OBD port was to the extreme top right of the footwell, it may be in a different place based on your model, not sure, my 1st Jag.

This next step is assuming you are using "loaned warez" or software that is not "licensed" to you. Once the software is up and running, it will ask to connect to the internet, ALWAYS decline. Just to be safe, if you have a wireless connection, turn it off before launching the JRL IDS software.

Once up and running, follow the instructions on the screen. Turn your key to the ON position, and continue by pressing the "Identify Vehicle" tab on the screen. Your vin and car should appear within a minute on the screen. From this point, the IDS may ask you to update the VCM to newer software, press OK and the IDS system will send whatever data it requires the VCM to have before proceeding. Once that is done, you will press the "SERVICE FUNCTION" tab. This may be located in different places according to the version of the JRL IDS software you are using.

The program will go into "Data Collection" mode and put the car through many tests. The radio will turn on and off a few times and the car will appear to come to life much like "Christine". Once data collection is done, you press the "service function" tab. This menu gives you a huge variety of programming options.

You are looking for the option button for PROGRAM NEW TRANSPONDERS. After pressing this tab, you will be guided step by step for inserting and removing "cycling" each key to be programmed. Make sure to follow each step slowly and correctly because once you proceed with "erasing all transponders", you are essentially the proud owner of a car without a key.

You are basically erasing your old key's credentials and reprogramming and starting fresh with a new series of codes. Once you have two keys programmed, you will not need the IDS to do a third key, as there is a manual procedure for this. You are also offered the option within this service window the ability to program the remote transmitters. I did mine manually so I did not choose this option.

Please be careful and good luck!

Cheers!
Chris

The following 5 users liked this post by nyfilm:
Cambo (11-12-2013), carlos corcuera (09-30-2020), Lady Hirsel (04-19-2014), Norri (11-11-2013), paydase (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thank uou Chris for this very well explained process!

nyfilm (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A very interesting post - has anyone had any disasters with the cloned tools? From what I have read the worst thing is that they stop working but that seems to be as bad as it gets. I am considering using one to read codes and I was just wondering what the worst case scenario is?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Go to the relevant thread, you'll see that with a bad clone (or maybe a bad installation or bad use, difficult to know sometimes), many unpleasant outcomes may happen, christmas tree and the rest...even when you only plug in (not reprogramming!)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/
I'm currently balancing the pros and cons of the original vs the clone.
Usually you find the clones for less than $100 so that maybe the one purchased by nyfilm at $299 may be an original, albeit non Pro version of the Mongoose. The original Pro is currently sold for about $600.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 AM

This tool was not a Mongoose clone. It is a clone of the Ford VCM device. Although the seller is not representing it to be original, they are claiming it is new. It is extremely high quality. The main giveaway that it is a clone is that the VCM sticker on the device is in the kit but not attached, it is up to you to attach the sticker for authenticity appearance. Also note, for US buyers, the device is located in New Jersey, not China, so there are no long wait times for delivery. They also throw in the latest version of the IDS/JRL software, for both Ford/Mazda and Jag/Land Rover -- and there are special tools on these discs that will allow you to play God with the program .

Here is the link to the item:

New VCM IDS Diagnostic Equipment for Ford Car Code Scanner 16pin Cable | eBay

Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I saw the reference to having two working keys, what is the relevance of that?

My car came with two working keys, I subsequently bought one new aftermarket one which allegedly has a new transponder chip inside, and one used Jag key which has a previously used transponder. I have had blades cut to fit my locks for both, so now I want to get the two additional key transponders married to my car.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

For PIGLETJOHN, since you are adding to additional keys, you can do the programming without SDD. Simply go to the top of the forum under the "XJ8 HOW TO quick links and see the articles on Key_fob_facts_all_you_need_to_know
Program Key Fob Instructions #1
Program Key Fob Instructions #2

This will show you how to program your two additional keys.

carlos corcuera (09-30-2020)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I don't know for sure about the X350 but the earlier cars had a feature that the additional keys can never be used to add more additional keys.

The only keys that will add more keys are the MASTER KEYS.
Keys programmed with the Masters will be slaves and will not be accepted when adding more keys.

To add keys you need to insert key 1, then key 2, then 3 (the added key).
To add a 4th you need to use 1 and 2, then the 4th will be added and so on...............

bob gauff

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

lcmjaguar

yes, I have read those, but they refer to programming the remote fob.

Are you saying that the same instructions learn in a new passive transponder chip as well? It is a separate part, although the two parts clip together.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I've used motorcarman's procedure on some Ford cars with Tibbe keys to add keys (not fobs, they're usually a separate easier process). Worth trying. Exactly as he says, you need 2 keys the car already knows. I had to turn each to ign II but not start the car, wait a short time, then remove, overall keeping the time fairly short.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

Please re-read the articles as I know the article "Key_fob_facts_all_you_need_to_know" talks about programming both the remote portion AND the transponder portion.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyfilm
So I took the long shot of programming my transponder key fob PATS chip today using JLR Version 131 and a cloned VCM tool, I was able to successfully erase and reprogram my two keys. If anyone wants the steps I will gladly repost. It is quite scary when you hit the "erase all transponders" button!

Saved a trip to Manhattan and about $400.

Cheers!
Chris
Please send steps or video