General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
New laptop windows 7 pro 32bit = $390
JLR IDS v129 w/user&password = $280
Mongoose = $260
_______
$930
You did well! Did you get the pro or an earlier version?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I was in the correct area with in the "diagnostic" section but got confused when I couldn't find any codes, I know I have a great running car but I thought there should be at least a few old codes to come up.

BTW
What car are we talking about?? Your handle is 03Xtype, cars listed are S-Types. Could be pertinent.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ooootis
You did well! Did you get the pro or an earlier version?
the old version.

I could of done better after I saw the link to the $1$$ mongoose, also the cable came with IDS/SDD with user/password info.

I think some one could get away with having this set up for around $600

Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
BTW
What car are we talking about?? Your handle is 03Xtype, cars listed are S-Types. Could be pertinent.
I was scanning my 05 S-type

Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Why are you advocating that?? What do you have against using the updater and drivers for the MongoosePro??? That makes even an early device much more compatible.

Just curious.
His device should work with the mongoose drivers, if not he has another problem. If he can upgrade then he should do it, haven't said he shouldn't, unfortunately for mine this didn't work (the upgrade that is).

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Get the drivers from drew for the Mongoose JLR, not the MongoosePro JLR.
Why are you advocating that?? What do you have against using the updater and drivers for the MongoosePro??? That makes even an early device much more compatible.

Just curious.
Ah right, at first I didn't realise the difference between the two. Drew Technologies : Introduction
So if you've got the blue case with black cable, it's a Pro, the older versions had the clear plastic case & cable with silver braid.

Funny that Drew don't mention the JLR version for the upgrade.

BTW mine is with the blue case, but it doesn't say Pro anywhere on the label, just JLR...

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Mine is the later version as well (at least the blue case0 , but you get firmware upgrades with that. If you have installed the toolbox you can see which version you have now, of you can also see it in the device driver list.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Ah right, at first I didn't realise the difference between the two. Drew Technologies : Introduction
So if you've got the blue case with black cable, it's a Pro, the older versions had the clear plastic case & cable with silver braid.

Funny that Drew don't mention the JLR version for the upgrade.

BTW mine is with the blue case, but it doesn't say Pro anywhere on the label, just JLR...
Well, now I'm a little confused.......

I never had the clear case, my first interface was blue, with a black cable and was called MongooseJLR. That's what Windows called it when it installed, and that's what the gateway manager installed with SDD/IDS called it. I'm in a habit of checking with support on all devices I have looking for updates, drivers, firmware, whatever I can find. After several months I saw the MongooseJLR relegated to "Discontinued Devices" and the MongoosePro JLR being available. I was sort of ticked and fired off an email to DrewTech Support. They answered that they would shortly have an updater, firmware and new drivers available to download and install to make my MongooseJLR a MongoosePro. A couple of weeks later they showed up, just like they said. I installed the updater and did the firmware update, then installed the new drivers and voila, I have a MongoosePro JLR.

Now, we had a VCM die and needed to do something about an interface. SPX wanted $985 to repair the VCM, so we bought another Mongoose. I saw the receipt they emailed for the purchase and noticed it said MongooseJLR. I fired off an email to THEM saying the current device is a MongoosePro JLR and wanted to be sure that's what we were getting. Their response was that the stock they had was all less then two weeks old and would be the latest version. It arrived and sure enough, it installed and was a MongoosePro JLR. But it's case and labeling is NO DIFFERENT than the first device I bought, the only difference was the serial number.

Anyway, I was not charged anything to upgrade the device, I didn't have to send it to them, it was very simple to do. I guess only the clear one has to be sent to them. I just know that the blue case does not mean you have a MongoosePro, necessarily; but if you have one of them, it can be upgraded if it's not a Pro.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Sean B (08-02-2012), tuborg (09-05-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlovt
Would you mind sharing your experience with getting your Mongoose JLR working?
I prefer to use virtual PC's for installing this sort of software so that my day to day PC doesn't get cluttered. Virtual PC's are also great for experimenting with as you can easily roll them backwards and forwards between snapshots. e.g. I can roll one PC between an old version of WDS, IDS 125, IDS 129 and IDS 130.

When I first got the Mongoose I was playing around with IDS 125 as that version allows you to run SDD or the legacy software directly whereas with later versions you have to run SDD then it drops back if SDD doesn't support your car. It looks like 125 has issues with the Mongoose so I decided to start from scratch, build a new virtual PC and use 129. Once I did that I had no issues.

All I did was install XP, add the latest service pack, install the Mongoose driver then plug the Mongoose in. A window popped up offering to look on the web for a driver to which I said no, it then looked locally and found the driver I had just loaded. I was then able to use the util (J2534 Toolbox) that came with the driver to talk to the Mongoose to confirm it worked.

After that I loaded IDS 129 and after a reboot, a message popped up from the little green VCI gateway manager on the task bar to say it had found the Mongoose. I have had no problems since then.

I use Oracle Virtualbox to run my virtual PC's. I had been using VMware for years but found it got slower and slower after each upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
Ounce (03-28-2013)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 AM

Alright when i plug mine in it says "The Mongoose JLR device is connected and ready for use" no mention of Pro

I'm downloading the Full CD of the MongoosePro JLR, V01.1.4, lets see how it goes.

For reference the old CD i had for the "non-Pro" was V01.02.12

Will (try to) update it to a Pro & let everyone know what happens...

The following users liked this post:
tuborg (09-05-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM

So I downloaded & installed the latest CD from the DrewTech site, and it seems that it's only the Windows drivers that are included in that update, I could not see where you upgrade the firmware on the Mongoose.

Installed the fancy new Toolbox, and registered (I hadn't done that before) but still only driver updates, no firmware update...

My laptop now has drivers installed for both the Mongoose JLR and MongoosePro JLR, but the device itself is still just a Mongoose, according to SDD and Windows...

How exactly do you update it to a Pro? It's not even in the list on the DrewTech website for updates to Pro....

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM

So I downloaded & installed the latest CD from the DrewTech site, and it seems that it's only the Windows drivers that are included in that update, I could not see where you upgrade the firmware on the Mongoose.

Installed the fancy new Toolbox, and registered (I hadn't done that before) but still only driver updates, no firmware update...

My laptop now has drivers installed for both the Mongoose JLR and MongoosePro JLR, but the device itself is still just a Mongoose, according to SDD and Windows...

How exactly do you update it to a Pro? It's not even in the list on the DrewTech website for updates to Pro....
There should also be what they call an "Updater" on the DrewTech site. That's what will make it a Pro. If you can't find it, send me a PM or email with a good email address for you and I'll see if I can't get you hooked up. It will have to be later tonight EST, I have to sign off now for a while.

I think SDD DVD 130 also incorporates the updater, if you have that.

Cheers,

Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright when i plug mine in it says "The Mongoose JLR device is connected and ready for use" no mention of Pro

I'm downloading the Full CD of the MongoosePro JLR, V01.1.4, lets see how it goes.

For reference the old CD i had for the "non-Pro" was V01.02.12

Will (try to) update it to a Pro & let everyone know what happens...
Hi guys!
Can anybody help me to get an old version of driver for Mongoose JLR - V01.02.12?
Please!!!
Seller forgot to supply an appropriate CD and a new version V01.1.4 from Drewtech.com does not seems suitable for me
Thanks!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM

I have it but i'm not going to post a link to it here, and since you've only 1 post your PM's won't be working either...?

I need an email address from you, try clicking on my name & sending me an email.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it but i'm not going to post a link to it here, and since you've only 1 post your PM's won't be working either...?

I need an email address from you, try clicking on my name & sending me an email.
Cambo351, I can't view even your public profile, no permissions
Please contact me by eizoinbox.ru or ukhlovgmail.com
Thank you very much!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM

No worries, check your email.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Enthusiasts,

As far as we know so far, distributions of the Updater application should be direct to all dealers via CD/Download Link from JLR. The updater application can be obtained from us for the Mongoose JLR to Mongoose JLR Pro by request.

We're working on a website update to allow the request to be more automated but haven't completed it yet.

In the interim, you may contact us directly by emailing support [@] drewtech [.] com. (Of course remove the brackets). And we lead you through the process of downloading the update, and, getting your device updated.

The JLR was discontinued quickly so there were a small amount of them with the new body and cable design that are original Mongoose JLR's. We do provide a service to upgrade the older case and cable which you may discuss with our team when contacting them if you so desire as well.

I hope this helps.
If you have any questions please reply to the thread. We'll do our best to check back but if we don't please feel free to contact us directly at the email above.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by DTSupport
Hi Enthusiasts,

As far as we know so far, distributions of the Updater application should be direct to all dealers via CD/Download Link from JLR. The updater application can be obtained from us for the Mongoose JLR to Mongoose JLR Pro by request.

We're working on a website update to allow the request to be more automated but haven't completed it yet.

In the interim, you may contact us directly by emailing support [@] drewtech [.] com. (Of course remove the brackets). And we lead you through the process of downloading the update, and, getting your device updated.

The JLR was discontinued quickly so there were a small amount of them with the new body and cable design that are original Mongoose JLR's. We do provide a service to upgrade the older case and cable which you may discuss with our team when contacting them if you so desire as well.

I hope this helps.
If you have any questions please reply to the thread. We'll do our best to check back but if we don't please feel free to contact us directly at the email above.
Thanks for jumping in on this! Nice to see the mfr. noting this and taking the initiative. There seem to be numerous folks here that have or soon will have a DrewTech interface. I personally have one of those few you referred to, but I was accommodated with the update quite quickly.

Again, thanks for chiming in, and please come back and notify us when the website update is online.

Cheers,

Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Quite a refreshing surprise to see a manufacturer take an active role on forums. Well done!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have bought from X431.com (Chinese producer) a VCM clone (lookalike original one)
First time I get for 690 US$ the apparatus but unreadable CDs
Then I paid other 15 US$ for the new CDS (masterized copies)
And now the software works

We tried this VCM on various Range and Land Rover cars and it works perfect like a diag tool
(read OBD error and reset the errors)
Now we are trying to recode various modules on a Jag S type R My 2003 and we are facing many problems in communication
We are not able to recode the modules and we are loosing the communication with some of them
Next week we are going to a Jag dealer to see if we have the same behavior by an original VCM
We will read in parallel the same car to see if the results are the same

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool