XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Quicksilver Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quicksilver Exhaust

Hello folks!

I'm new to the forum so go easy if you don't mind...

I've read through some old threads but can't find a topic on adding a performance exhaust to the X350.

I've been on to Adamesh in the UK and they do the Quicksilver exhausts for a range of Jaguar models. There's a Youtube clip for the XK, but can't find any demos on the XJR.

jaguar x350 performance exhaust | quicksilver exhaust

Has anyone got any experience of the Quicksilver exhaust in the X350 or X358? I'm not looking for it to be too loud, but a deeper V8 rumble would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

No opinion Bob, but I've looked to make mine a little bit 'healthier' with the sound. I believe Arden sells a system too?
If you put it on a lift, there are several sets of mufflers under the 350, maybe 3 even? plus cats, which act like a third of a muffler. No wonder it's so quiet. I'd like to hear a little more of the glorious V8 sound, when I get on her.

I've inquired about removing one set of them, and that would of course make it louder, but I could not find anyone who had experimented or done the change. I've seen it on other luxury cars and some work, sometimes it makes an resonance in the vehicle, sometimes it's too loud.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Ive got a clip of my exhaust that i had made which deleted the front silencer and replaced with an x pipe then reduced the size of the silencers infront of the rear axle and put on a straight through silencer at the back on each side. I then put some sport cats on ;-)

I can get these exhausts made up if anyone is interested.

Name:  IMAG0153-1.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0156-2.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0160-1.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0163.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  34.4 KB

On cruise the v8 note is there but does not intrude into the cabin too much there is absolutely no booming or resonance (smaller silencers were put in for that reason), you can still hear the tyre roar etc but when you open the taps it sounds, i believe, spot on.

The following 3 users liked this post by caldoofy:
BlackKat (02-10-2015), Bobchuwah (02-10-2015), rosskuhns (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by rosskuhns
No opinion Bob, but I've looked to make mine a little bit 'healthier' with the sound. I believe Arden sells a system too?
If you put it on a lift, there are several sets of mufflers under the 350, maybe 3 even? plus cats, which act like a third of a muffler. No wonder it's so quiet. I'd like to hear a little more of the glorious V8 sound, when I get on her.

I've inquired about removing one set of them, and that would of course make it louder, but I could not find anyone who had experimented or done the change. I've seen it on other luxury cars and some work, sometimes it makes an resonance in the vehicle, sometimes it's too loud.
Arden does indeed sell a system, but it's ferociously expensive!

My fear about any exhaust mods is that I'm going to get the dreaded 'drone' on long highway journeys.

To quote Quicksilver, they say 'The system is designed to work with the engine, so at lower revs the sound remains relatively civilised and at higher revs it provides more presence and volume.'

Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 AM

@caldoofy - that does sound lovely!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM

It sounds like a german touring car going by! Nice. Looks like very quality work too Caldoofy.

I did find this thread, which is very interesting:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-system-95175/

on X308's, but looking at the pictures I think we have the same set up -
cats, then center muffler, then two sets of mufflers on each pipe- no wonder it's so quiet.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...m-dsc_0573.jpg

Looks like Mina used to do an exhaust too, but I don't see it on their site anymore.

So some additional options from that thread are:

*do like water dragon did, "I deleted my resonators and added a straight pipe from the middle muffler to the rear mufflers" (this is more of what I had in mind)

*add exhaust cutouts like vector did on his xjr (novel idea; I didn't know they were variable so you can adjust the level of bypass; I recall him selling this car a year or so ago) Welcome to DMH Performance!

*replace cats/downpipes with high flow cats, like nameless, like smoggy did "I put the Nameless Performance High Flow Cats on my XJR - the rest of the exhaust system is box stock. These cats do seems to free up some horsepower, and the increase in sound is what I would term healthy without being overbearing or annoying." 2004-2007 Jaguar XJ/XJR Downpipes - Nameless Performance

*install an x pipe like vicent661983 did, I'm not sure where exactly he is talking about, but he also did straight pipes "I did the straight pipe at the first place, the sound was a bit too loud and raw and lack of power at low RPM and too much at high, switched to x-pipe for now and sound is more refined and power gain (at least a little bit) is more balanced. "
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...6_172007-1.jpg

Is that the single central muffler he replaced?

Note that these are all XJR's.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by caldoofy
Ive got a clip of my exhaust that i had made which deleted the front silencer and replaced with an x pipe then reduced the size of the silencers infront of the rear axle and put on a straight through silencer at the back on each side. I then put some sport cats on ;-)
Awesome set up! Caldoofy, if one where to replicate your setup in stages, x pipe, small resonators and straight through resonators, which order would you recommend doing? Also, if you don't mind sharing where you got your resonators and what models they are.
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I have a completely stock exhaust on mine, except for the final "resonators" (the ones at the tailpipes) which were changed for some aftermarket mufflers. I only did this because one of them had collapsed internally.

This made this car a bit louder and with more of a bassy V8 rumble. No drone but you do hear the exhaust more at highway speeds than the stock ones.

Have a look in the S-Type forum for what people have done with their STR's as well, same driveline as the XJR and very similar exhaust setup too.

Whatever you do, don't delete the rear resonators and go for straight pipes, it will drone like hell...

The following users liked this post:
BlackKat (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Cambo, what model mufflers did you go with? Also, you happen to has a sound clip? Would love to check out your sound.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 PM

No idea what brand (can't see any logo on the cans), just some generic "performance" muffler from an exhaust shop.

The factory fitted cans at the back are HUGE, these are much smaller/slimmer.

I don't have any video but I have to go out later so i'll try to get something with the iphone...

EDIT

Here you go

Last edited by Cambo; 02-11-2015 at 05:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
BlackKat (02-10-2015), Panthro (01-08-2017)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

@blackcat the full exhaust was custom made and this included the resonators so there are no 'off the shelf ones' to replicate what I have. The company I used do a lot of custom work including full race cars so their advice was invaluable in working out exactly what to put on. As I stated even though you can hear the exhaust note on cruise it does not boom ( I don't like having a headache when I get to my destination!). As for the order if one were to do in stages I would probably start with the second set of resonators, then rear straight through then front and x pipe. Doing them in this order should give a staged increase in volume from the least to most. Putting the sport cats on did make quite a difference to the volume too but it is still very civilized when not on wot.

Panthro (01-08-2017)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Call me crazy but my xkr has stock cats (NOONE WANTS TO TOUCH THEM) removed center resonator and removed rear resonators. All that's left are the two tiny before rear mufflers. At idle its very quiet and when I get on it it gets loud....Now I wanted to redo the entire exhaust but everyone seems to love the way it sounds....Go figure. Worst case is you can always ad back a high flow resonator or rear mufflers if its to loud. Rear section was the Mina Gallery delete pipes..I cant believe those little mufflers actually do anything but they do. When I had those and the rear mufflers with no center resonator it had a little sound but not all that loud at all

Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
....my xkr has stock cats (NOONE WANTS TO TOUCH THEM)....
You know you can buy off-the-shelf 200 cell cats for your car that bolt straight in and fit to the stock exhaust?

Jaguar - Nameless Performance

nycturbovr6 (06-03-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Although vey nice looking the hp per $ is just not there with those cats.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM

yes, they are viable if you need as new cat....as the stock jag one is something like the price of this pair.