XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The transmission can be drain by a drain plug at the rear of the pan. However because you may have coolant in it and because odds are yours hasn't been done before you need to replace the pan since it has a built in filter. There is no dipstick for the transmission nor a fill tube. There is a port on the side of the transmission where you pump fluid into it, then pump more while car is on and shifted through each gear for 5 seconds each; all while the car is level and fluid can't exceed 35 or 40 degrees celsius (can't remember which at the top of my head) You can shoot a laser thermometer at the pan or pan bolt heads to measure temperature.
Also, the pan has go be bolted back in a sequence at about 7ft/lbs, careful not to break the pan bolts as I did one.
The process is not as bad as it sounds once you have all the tools handy. Just requires a little patience. There are a few youtube videos on how to fill the ZF 6HP26 tranny which is used in BMWs Rovers among a few others.
Mercon SP can be used as fluid for cheaper. Others and myself have used this fluid.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Check out this site for all the information you will need.
Videos on Youtube, from start to finish.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As the transmission may have forced oil into the radiator. When the engine is hot and turned off the pressure in the cooling system could cause coolant to contaminate the transmission. You could disconnect the transmission lines as described in the link, Use a radiator pressure tester ( Rent at most parts with adaptor kit for Jaguar ) pump no more than 15psi into cooling system and see if any coolant discharges from lines. Confirming radiator is bad and transmission will need to be flushed.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-diy-217150/

Good luck
Sorry to here of your Miss fortition

Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Thanks for this sbs. I guess its for changing/servicing the transmission oil. But did not understand a few things in it. PAN ? Can you please send a pic how does it look like ? Also the PAN bolts please.
Can you please send youtube link that i can refer to that you mentioned.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Which site.... ? there is no link given here. Please give the link(s).
Thanks.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

This is the link I found
Also I am not sure how the antifreeze/water mix will interact with transmission fluid but if some got in the transmission it would be the worst case.
I would want to know for sure that is why use Radiator pressure tester to confirm if it were a possibility, antifreeze/water mix is not going to play well in the transmission
hopefully one of the Teck's will weigh in on this

Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM

If you got transmission fluid in the your radiator you can almost bet you have radiator fluid in your transmission. There are two transmission lines at the radiator one pumps and the other draws. So if it's pumping fluid it's also drawing fluid. Cheaper to drain transmission than risk it. If you haven't drain your transmission before it needs to be done anyway as its overdue for this maintenance. Hopefully not of the coolant made its way into the torque converter since it doesn't drain all the way without removing it.

Last edited by BlackKat; 06-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Check out this site for all the information you will need.
Videos on Youtube, from start to finish.
I meant these links... where are the links for this pls.

Another thing I noticed is that the guys/owners are really lucky to have their own garage / parking bays where they can service or DIY repair their vehicles without much relying on the expensive mechanics charges. But here in this corner (UAE) it is not possible to have it that way, unfortunately dependent on the unreliable mechanics. So am trying to accumulate as much info as possible to be able to understand what the mech must do with my vehicle.

Finally, I think that the fluid from the transmision has to be flushed before the radiator is changed, and then refill with the new fluid. Please advice if this is correct. or any correction required in this process.

Thanks to all.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
If you got transmission fluid in the your radiator you can almost bet you have radiator fluid in your transmission. There are two transmission lines at the radiator one pumps and the other draws. So if it's pumping fluid it's also drawing fluid. Cheaper to drain transmission than risk it. If you haven't drain your transmission before it needs to be done anyway as its overdue for this maintenance. Hopefully not of the coolant made its way into the torque converter since it doesn't drain all the way without removing it.
There was a gearbox fault in the vehicle 2 years back that i got repaired, hence the fluid was changed at that time. Post that service, the car is driven only 10k KMS. So would it had been still due after 10K KMS, or it was fine with that mileage after the change.

I dont know if I have explained my doubt clearly. Please do let me know.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Stickys at the top of the page look there.
Many of the needed subjects are listed there

Last edited by Wingrider; 06-14-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Stickys at the top of the page look there.
Many of the needed subjects are listed there
Sorry, did not understand, what stickys, where on the top of the page. All I see is the menu and the thread links on the top of the page. Please guide.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Read the top of the page you spoke of, our site as well as the British Jaguar site have sticky's listed.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I am not totally sure however if the transmission cooler is embedded within the radiator and developed a leak within the radiator that would cause the transmission fluid to pressurize the coolant system quite dramatically and cause that mixture out of the coolant reservoir.

That mixture is exactly what a mixture of coolant and transmission fluid looks like.

as has been stated if that is the case then you have coolant and transmission fluid in the transmission.

Unfortunately a really bad problem to have.

Just checked my workshop manual and yes the transmission cooler is embedded in the radiator.

Last edited by jackra_1; 06-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Turns out Jagnew had mixed coolant causing the system to gum up and overheat.
They created a separate thread here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-close-219335/