XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replacement of headlight (moved)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replacement of headlight (moved)

2006 XJ8L. The manual in the glove compartment gives instructions for replacing the outside headlight bulb but warns that there are two types halogen and xenon. With much difficulty due to lack of clearance, I got the chamber opened but cannot extract the bulb. Then I noticed that it looks very different from the halogen replacement bulb I purchased. =left
Can anyone confirm if this is one of the xenon bulbs, and if so, can I get detailed instructions for replacement? There is no dealer within 300 miles, and no one in town will work on Jaguars. =left
=left

Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The xenon (HID) require ballasts (one for each light) to create the electric arc. I would assume that in the absence of the ballasts the bulb needed is a halogen.

The following users liked this post:
Mark McDonald (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

If what appears to be a box on the end of the glass capsule really is a rectangular box (in the RHS of the picture) then it's an HID lamp, not a halogen.

Mark McDonald (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The box is indeed rectangular, but the diagram in the manual shows a rectangular box for the halogen bulbs also.
My major issue is how to get access to the bulbs. There is little clearance behind the light assembly and no way I can see to remove it without removing the front bumper. I was only able to open it as far as I did by bending a support and disconnecting two sets of wires. Still wasn't enough to extract the bulb, let alone replace it.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

If you google "h7 bulb" (that's the halogen) and "d1s bulb" (that's the HID) you can see pictures of them, and compare them ?

Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Mark,
Looking at the photo you posted it does appear to be a Xenon bulb - they all have a brown bar that runs parallel to the glass section. Jaguar began introducing Xenon headlamps as options across the model range around 2000/1. The problem is that the extra space needed to install them, the HID ballast pack and igniter make them impossible to replace without removing the complete headlamp - not enough room between the rear of the headlight and the front sub-frame.

To change these out you will need to remove the front bumper, front splash guard and perhaps also the inner front wheel splash guards - it can be a bitch of a job if the speed fasteners securing the splash guards are heavily rusted.

I had to do this recently on my S Type to fix a droopy headlight problem so have some recent and unhappy experience.

PM me if you think I may be able to help further.

Cheers,
Cubist

Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark McDonald
The box is indeed rectangular, but the diagram in the manual shows a rectangular box for the halogen bulbs also.
My major issue is how to get access to the bulbs. There is little clearance behind the light assembly and no way I can see to remove it without removing the front bumper. I was only able to open it as far as I did by bending a support and disconnecting two sets of wires. Still wasn't enough to extract the bulb, let alone replace it.
Replacing the headlights is a big job. I just did mine this weekend (took about an hour and a half) but on my car the large pan underneath the engine and the front splash guard were already off the car. You need to remove the grill (easy), splash guard and bumper cover. Then remove the three headlight bezel screws, wiring harness and wiggle the bezel out of the car. I lowered only one side of the bumper cover at a time making re-assembly much easier. I suggest replacing the bulb with the whole unit on a work bench. None of this is particularly difficult but a bit much just to change a bulb. As others have said, It's much easier the second time around. And remember, don't touch the new bulb with your bare hands. Oil on your skin will shorten the life of the new bulb. Seriously, you can do it!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

You should not have to touch the splash guard. There is a screw that looks like it goes thru to the bumper but does not.

My car is 2005 I doubt that 2006 MY is any different.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Replacing the HID bulbs is easy as pie. Bumper stay on, so does the grille, the headlight stays in the car, too. Here is my write-up, I've just done it a few weeks ago, took maybe ten minutes per side.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bumper-211443/

Originally Posted by cubist
To change these out you will need to remove the front bumper, front splash guard and perhaps also the inner front wheel splash guards
Originally Posted by genec
Replacing the headlights is a big job
Mates, you've done it the hard way.

Last edited by thmsrbr; 01-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
cubist (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thmsrbr
Replacing the HID bulbs is easy as pie. Bumper stay on, so does the grille, the headlight stays in the car, too. Here is my write-up, I've just done it a few weeks ago, took maybe ten minutes per side.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bumper-211443/

Mates, you've done it the hard way.
Good to know that there is an easier way for the XJ, clearly theres sufficient clearance between the sub-frame and rear of the headlight unit. Sadly, your method will not work for the S Type, only about an inch/2cm clearance so no way to get the HID Igniter and bulb out. More importantly replacing the power supply wire to the igniter, which pops out of its socket automatically when the igniter is released from the bulb, would be impossible. That said I'll keep a note of your thread for referral to other XJ drivers.

Cheers,
Cubist

Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cubist
Good to know that there is an easier way for the XJ, clearly theres sufficient clearance between the sub-frame and rear of the headlight unit. Sadly, your method will not work for the S Type, only about an inch/2cm clearance so no way to get the HID Igniter and bulb out. More importantly replacing the power supply wire to the igniter, which pops out of its socket automatically when the igniter is released from the bulb, would be impossible. That said I'll keep a note of your thread for referral to other XJ drivers.

Cheers,
Cubist
It works brilliantly this way with the XJ. I haven't a clue about anything S-Type. It's unfortunate a similar simplification of procedure doesn't work for the S as it's a proper time and labour saver on the XJ.

Cheers