XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SDD Caution!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Glad you have fixed it kbeachy.

I have spent a lot of time(but not a lot of money) in trying to have a working

Mongoose clone and after a number of failures have now abandoned it.

I would hate to "damage" my Jag and have to go cap in hand to a dealer.

I admit I am out of my depth and too old to "swim to the surface" LOL

I have a new clone on my desk which has never been used and anyone who wants

it can have it for the postage cost.

Last edited by meirion1; 07-04-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Up!

Reading this other thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-etc-166791/ and the statement by Cambo:
Originally Posted by Cambo
British Diagnostics sell clone Mongoose with hacked/cracked SDD software, and jackra's experience is fairly normal, the clone interfaces stop working after a time.
Any info on the "preferred versions", "full clones", "earlier versions" that would work?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts

Jackra has a new one. After wasting time with a clone SDD, the computer needs to be cleaned and I may try it later. For now the i930 works and does not require old laptops and old software.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I have an Innova Electronics Corp ODBll hand held reader which I bought long before I purchased my XJR.

It will read the standard/basic codes on my XJR and will actually clear them as well.

The JLR SDD version 130 something that I used for a year on the XJR worked well while it worked. It did take up a lot of memory as well as disk space on my Toshiba laptop that has a 50 something Gigabyte drive and a 1.6 Ghz Intel processor.

The laptop is dedicated to the diagnostic software nothing else so loading Windows 7 was no issue for me since I had the Microsoft Disk anyway. So running "old" software is no issue at all for me.

This new clone software does take a long time to load but takes less disk space.

Just like the old JLR SDD this new one takes quite a while to do a full diagnostic and goes way beyond the hand held reader.

Its also very "nice" to have a 16" screen to view a lot of information and be able to pick and choose items for a detailed view of a highlighted issue along with remedy advise.

The only area I might risk doing a reprogram of is the suspension and thats only if I have a problem to start with.

I would not risk a reflash of the ECU or anything like unless of course there was a very serious issue where I had nothing to lose...maybe.

Last edited by jackra_1; 08-15-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
Up!

Reading this other thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-etc-166791/ and the statement by Cambo:

Any info on the "preferred versions", "full clones", "earlier versions" that would work?
This forum is filled with threads of people having issues with cloned versions. I have the autoenginuity software with the Jaguar extension as well as the Mercedes extension (and up for sale currently). Runs on windows 7. Upgrades are relatively cheap and you don't need a subscription.
I've had no issues whatsoever with the autoenginuty software when I had my x350. It will let you clear all codes and you can make many adjustments (such as fuel trims). You cannot reflash ECU with it however. For that you need the real deal as Cambo notes. (VCM or SDD).

Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by kbeachy
My $45 replacement FEM arrived today. The hardest part of the installation was getting enough flexibility from the firm, thick padded floor mat underneath the pedals in order to get at the FEM bolts.

The replacement FEM immediately removed by "config f" message, and without going through a reconfiguration routine at that. I checked all the functionality physically and then with my SDD. Everything checked out, including access to my dealer options menu.

Needless to say I'm very pleased! Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments and advice. I think I'll either give up completely or be very selective when it comes to doing anything more invasive with my SDD.
I think it's great that you found a fix , but I can not belive you pluged that clone
Back in to your car after the repair . I'd be binning that thing!

I also had a modual , in my case recm in my car crap itself a wile back , and through reading many posts , I found that the general consensus was that a replacement modual would also would need to be programmed for the car ,
I purchased a recm from eBay with the exact part no# and from the same sub model and year of car . I pluged it in and every thing worked perfectly . Probably
Very fluky !

Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

You can't "brick" a module really, 99% of the time they can be recovered ...
Precisely. And it is not every certified Jag tech who can do it.

The shop foreman at one of the local dealerships is the go to guy
when other techs have failed. He knows and understands the
module sequence when a whole vehicle has to be recovered.

He has recovered vehicles where they had to swap every module
to another vehicle to get it delivered and he recovered the
donor vehicle showing as every module dead.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

When I tried to program the used FEM with my SDD it gave an error and again showed the config f message. So I installed another used FEM, which again removed the config f message. I was satisfied with it (without programming it to my vehicle) until I recently tried my seat heater, which would not work.

So today I took my car to my local Jag dealer to reprogram the FEM with a real SDD outfit. However, the same thing that happened to me also happened to them. They tried every manner of reprogramming (configure new, configure existing) and always got an error and then the config f message. It also turns out the seat heater runs through the FEM. Apparently my car was limited to whatever options were programmed into the used FEM I installed. As a matter of fact, my seat heater now works since the FEM crapped out.

What I understand is that the SDD writes a vehicle-specific configuration to the control module. Once the VIN has been verified, the application will upload the VID block to the SDD. However, if the data in the VID block is incorrect, then the replacement control module will also be incorrect. Is it possible that my VID block is corrupted somehow? If so, how can the VID block be corrected? The bulletin link found earlier in this thread describes one option of using the old control module to copy the original data in the relevant section of the VID block (unfortunately, I threw the original one away). A second option involves rebuilding the VID block by sending the data to Technical Helpline for editing.

Dealer said there is no way to reprogram a used FEM. And of course new FEMs are no longer made. So what I hope to do at this point is find a used FEM from a VDP like mine with seat heaters, and then not try to reprogram.

Any further thoughts or ideas would be appreciated?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is some info from Jaguar about the VID block. More reading is recommended before attempting the procedure.

Talk to the Jaguar Dealer if Jaguar Technical help line is to be involved.

Use this at you own risk, be sure to choose the correct file for the operating system.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VID_Block_Manager_install.pdf (17.3 KB, 879 views)
File Type: pdf
VID_Block_Manager_usage.pdf (337.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: zip
w98.zip (36.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: zip
wXP.zip (19.7 KB, 192 views)
The following 9 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Aarcuda (08-06-2020), AD2014 (04-19-2019), Cambo (10-15-2016), dsetter (10-13-2016), kbeachy (10-13-2016), kkurulak (02-04-2024), plums (10-12-2016), Sean W (10-13-2016), veffremov (10-15-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you very much! I'll take a look and see what makes sense.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:41 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@motorcarman
Thanks for the great info. I have a question though. The WDS doc describes several procedures. "Configure new module", "Configure existing module" etc. There was a lot of info on the "new module", but very little on the "existing module" procedure.

When one tries to replace an existing module with a used part from another car, do you do the "Configure new module" or "Configure existing module" procedure?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Generally speaking, you should use the Configure Existing Module option only if there is an updated software version available for that module. Because the IDS/SDD will take any configuration data in the module and apply it as part of the flash. But since these are all old cars now, there are no software updates anymore...

This is where things go wrong if you take a 2nd hand module that contains VID block data that's not a match to the rest of the car, there's a clash of data and the VID block can then get corrupted.

Configuring new modules takes the VID or VCATS data from the WDS/IDS/SDD as-built files, not reading it from the VID block in the car. So less chance of corruption. However you need to make sure any changes made to the VID block since the car left the factory are corrected in the "vehicle overview". This is where WDS/IDS is better than SDD, because you can correct any mistakes in the overview with WDS/IDS, but that was dropped in SDD...

Just to give you an example, one of the gents here in the local Jaguar club bought a cheap S-Type to race in the club series, but the reason it was cheap is that someone had replaced the ABS module on it and not programmed it correctly (or at all?). It had a heap of faults up on the dash and so on. When I connected to the car with IDS and read the configuration from the car, it said the car did not have Dynamic Stability Control, even though it actually did. I had to change that postion in the vehicle configuration overview in order to make the option available to configure the ABS module as a "new" module. Once the specification was corrected in the overview, it could be reflashed and the faults were gone, everything working correctly.

As for kbeachy's problem, if you really cannot flash a used module that has already been programmed, as in it's a one-shot only deal, then the only remaining option is to open it up and wipe the EPROM/S that are containing the configuration data, hacker-style, that would make the module blank, virginise it, so to speak, then you could flash it as a new module, because it's now blank.

There are tools which can do this, but they need a bit of know-how, in some cases you are just soldering wires to the EPROM, in other cases it needs to be removed completely. A device like an X-Prog might be able to do this. But like I said it's next level with soldering and so on...

I couldn't find a video on youtube in English which shows this process, but here's one in Spanish, the guy is wiping and then programming the EPROM in an instrument cluster, it's a similar thing except you are only wiping it, then it needs to be programmed with IDS/SDD.

The following 7 users liked this post by Cambo:
AD2014 (04-19-2019), dharry078 (04-15-2019), Don B (04-15-2019), kbeachy (10-16-2016), motorcarman (10-15-2016), paydase (10-15-2016), Sean W (10-15-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, you should use the Configure Existing Module option only if there is an updated software version available for that module. Because the IDS/SDD will take any configuration data in the module and apply it as part of the flash. But since these are all old cars now, there are no software updates anymore...

This is where things go wrong if you take a 2nd hand module that contains VID block data that's not a match to the rest of the car, there's a clash of data and the VID block can then get corrupted.

Configuring new modules takes the VID or VCATS data from the WDS/IDS/SDD as-built files, not reading it from the VID block in the car. So less chance of corruption. However you need to make sure any changes made to the VID block since the car left the factory are corrected in the "vehicle overview". This is where WDS/IDS is better than SDD, because you can correct any mistakes in the overview with WDS/IDS, but that was dropped in SDD...

Just to give you an example, one of the gents here in the local Jaguar club bought a cheap S-Type to race in the club series, but the reason it was cheap is that someone had replaced the ABS module on it and not programmed it correctly (or at all?). It had a heap of faults up on the dash and so on. When I connected to the car with IDS and read the configuration from the car, it said the car did not have Dynamic Stability Control, even though it actually did. I had to change that postion in the vehicle configuration overview in order to make the option available to configure the ABS module as a "new" module. Once the specification was corrected in the overview, it could be reflashed and the faults were gone, everything working correctly.

As for kbeachy's problem, if you really cannot flash a used module that has already been programmed, as in it's a one-shot only deal, then the only remaining option is to open it up and wipe the EPROM/S that are containing the configuration data, hacker-style, that would make the module blank, virginise it, so to speak, then you could flash it as a new module, because it's now blank.

There are tools which can do this, but they need a bit of know-how, in some cases you are just soldering wires to the EPROM, in other cases it needs to be removed completely. A device like an X-Prog might be able to do this. But like I said it's next level with soldering and so on...

I couldn't find a video on youtube in English which shows this process, but here's one in Spanish, the guy is wiping and then programming the EPROM in an instrument cluster, it's a similar thing except you are only wiping it, then it needs to be programmed with IDS/SDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpiXSyxC2Cw
This is some good life saving piece of work. Thanks mate

The following users liked this post:
XJR_hunter (03-24-2022)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is some info from Jaguar about the VID block. More reading is recommended before attempting the procedure.

Talk to the Jaguar Dealer if Jaguar Technical help line is to be involved.

Use this at you own risk, be sure to choose the correct file for the operating system.

bob
good stuff

Old 06-18-2021, 11:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Outdated computers and knock off parts

Originally Posted by kbeachy
I was in the SDD (Mongoose) dealer options trying to instruct my car to not automatically engage the park brake if the ignition key is removed, when the software blanked out on me and wouldn't move. I instructed it to escape, and I was given the customary warning that doing so might cause damage to the car. I didn't know what else to do, and the result was that I got a "config f" flashing error message on the instrument panel. And any subsequent attempts to change ANY of the settings in the dealer options resulted in a message that I hadn't selected anything.

My research didn't reveal what the config f was even referring to, but possibly the FETM or the FEM. I ended up in an email conversation with jlrsupport for a fix. They asked for my session files, which I sent. Next thing I knew they remarked that my session files were old, they couldn't find my username registered with TOPIx, and therefore I am not authorized to use the software. Busted.

Since I have the Chinese knockoff version of the Mongoose, I told them I'm using an outdated version (and hence the older date on the session files since I set my computer's date back in order to avoid updating conflicts) that is not supported by TOPIx. Haven't heard back since.

So I made a visit to my Jag dealer for a diagnostic. It turns out I must have scrambled the software in the Front Electronic Module. The dealer didn't think it's possible to reprogram the software (trying to reconfigure the FEM using the SDD fails), and Jaguar doesn't even stock the module anymore, but plenty of used ones are available on eBay for about $60 and up. So I'll buy one and run it through my SDD configuration protocols once it's installed.

Caution to anyone using the SDD that it can blink out on you and cause damage to electronic components.
you should never use knock off computer cables nor outdated computer OS… its not the SDD its your computer and mongoose fake.
MY2C

Old 06-19-2021, 06:52 AM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts

I have a lot of respect for people who can reprogram their X350 with a clone and ancient computer. I gave up on mine.
It was a huge waste of time. Continual lockup’s and crashes.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
you should never use knock off computer cables nor outdated computer OS… its not the SDD its your computer and mongoose fake.
MY2C
I use both Windows 7 and XP with JLR SDD, different versions 1.31 and 1.59, and a genuine mongoose cable with no problem over the years.

The different versions are on different HDDs which I simply swap as needed.

That includes programming the suspension and flashing the transmission on my now sold 2005 Jaguar XJR and programming a new EPB, which I rebuilt, as well as a tow hitch on my 2013 Range Rover Sport.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-19-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all, I have been reading up on this and want to see if it is worth the purchase. I have a 2013 XF 5.0 Supercharged, and would love to flash an XFR tune or XFR-S tune. Is this possible to do safely through the SDD/IDS? I also have something wrong with the parking system and seat module and would love for the computer to work for itself. I have a laptop with no CD drive with windows 10, is there any reliable software anyone recommends as to where I can purchase? I see a bunch of Chinese options and just not sure what to trust with what people are saying for what crashes and if anything works with windows 10 without fully wiping the drive.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:02 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by insomniac_driver
Hi all, I have been reading up on this and want to see if it is worth the purchase. I have a 2013 XF 5.0 Supercharged, and would love to flash an XFR tune or XFR-S tune. Is this possible to do safely through the SDD/IDS? I also have something wrong with the parking system and seat module and would love for the computer to work for itself. I have a laptop with no CD drive with windows 10, is there any reliable software anyone recommends as to where I can purchase? I see a bunch of Chinese options and just not sure what to trust with what people are saying for what crashes and if anything works with windows 10 without fully wiping the drive.
Hi insomniac_driver,

I'm no expert, but based on my own experience with SDD/IDS, I think it is highly unlikely that SDD would allow you to load a calibration for any other model of Jaguar into your Engine Control Module (ECM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), etc. SDD chooses available firmware update files based on the VIN of your car, which, when it is working properly, is detected automatically.

If I were you, I would pose your question in the F-Type forum. I believe some of those owners have had their ECMs tuned and they may be able to recommend companies you could talk to.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-20-2022), MountainMan (05-19-2022), XJRay (05-19-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:07 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Flash the ecu

Do not look for software on your own and never buy Chinese knock off anything.
this is a hob best suited fir a professional tuner which can do much more than just a standard XFRS tune. I had my XKR 5.0 SC tuned through a member called Alexjag from Alpha tune and it is amazing. Leave it ti the pros and you will be happier

Quick Reply: SDD Caution!