XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed thermostathousing as well as multiband . Plastic housing completely turned to dust. Probably a good tip for you fellows: it is quite a small operation, parts not expensive (about 60$) and it could save you a lot of annoyance.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

replaced a bad oil pan gasket and stopped the puddlemaking on my garage floor. while at it , did the supercharger oil

Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Drove a few extra miles to try a self service VEIP kiosk in Owingsmills yesterday.

Had to edge around a big backlog of cars in line for the standard attendant test and was 3rd in line for the single kiosk.

Trouble is even after a 2nd attempt at the kiosk the remote reader would not read anything and it was seated properly in the ODB port.

Went to one in Westminster today, no self service kiosk there, and I was the only one there. In and out in 5 minutes and passed.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced the solenoids in the ZF with fresh fluid. Hoping it cures my fifth gear flare and occasional fault.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

(Sunday) Had my X358 entered in the Ellerslie Classic Car Show (New Zealand). Jaguar Drivers Club had a complete lineup of XJ's (with a Series 1 at centre stage) to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the XJ. We won "Best Club Display".
Photos here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-10feb-213800/

(Monday) Took it for a Warrant of Fitness. Some guy runs out "Is that your Jag? Beautiful! Beautiful!". I didn't tell him it had just been groomed for free by the official Jaguar agents who sponsored the stall.

In case you're wondering, I'm in the Chauffer outfit. But it didn't work...I still can't find anyone to pay me to drive my Jag LOL

Last edited by ChrisMills; 02-11-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
Default test

Over the past week she's had all four marker lamps repaired ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ps-out-214359/ ), air filter, pollen filter, fuel system treatment, both knock sensors replaced, LED headlights and LED city lights installed, Hella yellow foglamp bulbs installed, and heritage centercaps for the Sepangs.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Looks great, nice work.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Now that's PURTY car 310jag shows a lot of pride of ownership.

I've been toying with selling my wife's 2004 for the past couple of months but whenever I gat a good look at a clean well maintained one, or stand back after giving hers a thorough cleaning, I realize what a damn good looking car the X350's are. Once you address the normal bugs you'll find in any 10-20 year old car there's not much reason to think you can't get 200,000 or more miles out of one. My odd job Dodge van has 280,000 on it now and the heads have never been off.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Leaking thermostat housing, thermostat, water pump, belt, tensoner, with idler pulley bearing.
Front disks Brembo;s, still waiting to be put on the 04
No hurry on disks, the ones on the car have a good sized lip, but still work well.
Found a set of fronts for under $ 77 delivered, so i bought them.
Productive day, all the parts on the shelf waiting for a leak to start things off.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Did the following over the past few week:

Bonnet/Hood would not shut - just bounced back up most of the time when trying to close it. Eventually it would close but not completely flush with the grill. And sprung open whilst driving home on the motorway ! Greased and lubricated the catches and now it closes really easily and closes flush with the grill.

Fixed 'Failed Front LH Indicator' random warning fault message. New ground point installed and old ground point left in place with nothing connected to it. Cleaned up the headlight electrical connector on the wiring loom and problem solved.

Evicted a mouse from making more of a home in the boot/trunk. Also cleaned the boot of the little deposits he had left behind. Found a large round hole at the back of the spare wheel well. Can see the ground through it? It has the air suspension pipes running through it but the hole is very large. Plugged it temporarily. Now trying to find a rubber gromet to put in the hole as I can't find the part that Jaguar would have possibly fitted originally in the hole.

Tried to investigate my minor misfire at the 1.5K to 1.8K RPM range. Purchased an ELM327 OBDII Wifi code reader. Total failure. My iPhone would not connect properly to it and my Android tablet and phone also had a problem maintaining a connection to it. Then when it would connect it could not connect to my car or read anything from it. Got to find another one now to try.

Topped up my coolant as I've found a coolant leak from the thermostat housing that connects the feed pipe to the EGR valve housing and throttle body. It's only leaking a little but I think could be causing a problem with the temp sensor. I think the housing a small crack in the plastic upright pipes but I can't see it. This might be the cause of my misfire as the car might be overfuelling as I'm getting fault code P0172 at the moment which I'm trying to get a reader to look into further.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

When you replace it, the will crumble if it is like my 04's was.
Slight leak where you described, took hose loose.
Squeezing the plastic slightly while looking for cracks, it crumbled.
The 07's was replaced, so the part was sourced for when needed on the 04.
Big plus, the thermostat housing was held on by bolts with 8mm heads on them.
The lower torx bolts can be an issue to get out.
Bolt heads are easier to work with, I M H O.

The following users liked this post:
JX350 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Hi wingrider, Looks like the thermostat housing for mine has been superseded by a newer version of it as the temperature sensor is now on the other side of the pipework. Need to check that the wiring loom connector will reach to the other position before I order one in case it won't reach and then I would have to change that part of the wiring loom. I've not checked that yet. Thanks for the great advice.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure yours looks like the replacement.
The 07's, is not the same as the 04's.
There is also one that is available in aluminum as well as plastic.
That will not fit either of mine.

JX350 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanks Wingrider. I can see that the later models have a different version but even on my 03 they superseded the original versions. I checked with my local dealer who confirmed replacement part now has the CTS on the opposite side of the housing. Cheers for the advice.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you find this system to purchase? Did you do the install yourself or have it done? I am really interested I have an 04 Vanden Plas and want to do this.

Thanks, Brian

Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Brian M Williams

autohausAZ
Eurospare thermostat housing complete assembly with thermostat
$65.42 delivered, ordered 6/3/18, installed last week.
Was installed on my 04 XJ8

Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Brian M Williams

Complete unit housing,thermostat, for $65.42 delivered.
From autohauseAZ, it fits my 04 XJ8
Hope this helps you, it sure did me.
Installed it with water pump,tensioner, & idler pulley.

Last edited by Wingrider; 03-17-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Talking Optimum Gloss Coat & 10.5" SCREEN (Tablet)

Hey fellow Jag XJ owners; ok, so I had been checking out this new Optimum Gloss Coat, along with some of their other products, for some time. A guy that's been doing Custom work for me about 6 yrs, who owns a Custom shop, showed me a bit of cars he had done with it, not knowing or thinking I'd try it myself! It'd been $1,200 for him to do my (well, that was the Price he gave me for my truck) Vehicle, plus Rims. ($400 for the Rims)

So I got to looking it up, & bought a 20cc bottle of it, plus the Optimum Paint prep, Optimum Clay-bar, some Super Plush Microfiber towels, 32ounce Optimum Tire Gel, & 32ounce Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax Solution. I already have a Griots DA buffer, Meguairs Cutting Discs plus the D300 Paint Correction Compound.

So I washed her really good, Clay-barred her, then went over it with the Paint prep Spray; got the DA buffer, & cut the paint; went back over it with the Paint Prep again, then applied the Opti Gloss Coat to the car, trim, headlights & Rims (Rims were later being I got them refurbish a week later after doing the detail.

So here are some pics of her & a
as well; it doesn't do it justice, but nevertheless,,,,,,

The coat is said to last for 2yrs; (there's a pro version, the 1 my guy uses, that last for 5-7yrs)

So here are some Pics, a week & a half later after it went through 5 hrs of VERY HARD rain this past Wed (3 days ago from me posting this) as well as my Rims being totally Refurbed & looking BRAND NEW! (I'm really torn about whether or not I want to Plasti Dip back to the Color of the car like I had them! What do y'all think???) Mind you, I hadn't touched it at all!!!

Literally 10 days later, & I hadn't touched it, other than putting more gel on the tires been they were dry from the Rim refurb...

No wipe off or anything...

This stuff really works; the Rain from the other night just beaded up & rolled right off, leaving NO SIGN of anything behind...

Do I want to Leaved my Rims like this? Or Plasti Dip them Back to the Car Color???

OK, Now on to the 10.5" Screen! So after seeing @Evan Trinh setup in his car, & then seeing @joeleerj Jagdroid setup from @benwillcox (which I really wanted, but just wasn't patient enough! haha) I figured I try putting a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" Tablet in there some sore of way...

! It fits Perfect, & having Tasker & Macrodroid running stuff makes it GREAT; I have it set to start when the car does, go to the Car Launcher app, turn on Mobile Hotspot, turn the Screen to bright, as well as makes the screen stay on, play the music of course, then after 7 mins of being on, it sets a Task to ON which I have set to open my Garage & disarm my alarm once I'm within a 300 yard radius of my house; & when I turn the Car off, it exits Car Launcher, Put the screen back to 2 mins before it shuts off, goes to the Home screen, turns off Mobile Hotspot, Wifi On, then Screen off, all within 7 secs which is what I set it for. (that's all triggered by Bluetooth)

Here a few pics of what it looks like in the car... In the Video, I explain how I get it to mount in place, & it's solid; doesn't move at all, yet I can pull right out with ease...

YouTube Music

My Homescreen

Car Launcher

Colm O (06-17-2020)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Beautiful set-up!! I've seen it up close and the pictures and video, does not do it justice. The Samsung pad is ingenious and looks great in person. I plan to try the detail products as well as have my wheels finished by the person you had. BEAUTIFUL car!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Finished the furnace install in the garage.
Have had things working for heat, since the Holidays.
But the plenum on, with exhaust pipe remounted solidly, & plumb now.
Just makes the install neat & tidy.
Oil with filter, installed the new Brembo front discs on the 04.
No real problems with the old ones.
They had developed a good sized lip.on them.
The Brembo;s were $77 a pair delivered.
Productive afternoon

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?