XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 PM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Started changing my alternator, right engine mount removed, steering rack lowered. Check out the fancy engineering on the motor brace.....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-jag1.jpg   What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-jag2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by NDW:
J.A.G. (09-01-2021), jackra_1 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by NDW
Started changing my alternator, right engine mount removed, steering rack lowered. Check out the fancy engineering on the motor brace.....
Necessity, the mother of invention.

The following users liked this post:
NDW (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Topped off coolant due to "Coolant low" warning, surprised to see red, not orange color. Will check again in a few days to make sure no leak. Is it normal for coolant level to drop over time? It's been a year since the last coolant sys service.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my ride height re calibrated..presto..Mr. Bevington is sitting back up where he belongs !

Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Changed my oil and filter last Saturday @156,500 miles.

Also filled up windscreen wiper fluid.

Also inspected my front suspension, as I've been getting knocks and groaning noises when making slow sharp turns. Couldn't find anything loose or obviously broken. Not sure what to make of it. I'm due for an alignment soon, so I'll have them take a look.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I swapped out some more of my interior lighting for LED's. Somehow popped the 5A fuse for some of the lighting (F11 in the trunk) in the process. Of course, I have hand fulls of 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 Amp fuses... but no 5's. So my son and I hopped in the Jag, windows down, sunroof open, music playing, and ran to the auto parts store for 5A fuses.

I also finally removed the overhead console. I honestly thought I was going to break the dang thing in the process. Unfortunately, the festoon LED that I got for it was the wrong size, so I am going to have to take it out again when the new one arrives.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello all,

I got my car back from the shop on Saturday. They replaced both upper and lower control arms, links and rods. Since the car was going to be on the lift I asked them to do a tranny service (pan and fluid).

Yesterday, I decided to refinish the brake calipers. I used VHT high temperature spray paint. I found the R decals on eBay. I first painted the calipers then applied the decals followed with clear coat. I think they turned out great being the first time I do something like this.

Now I need new wheels since this ones are looking old.

The following 3 users liked this post by BlacXJRcat:
Allycat (02-29-2020), J.A.G. (09-01-2021), Jon Hill (05-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Topped off coolant due to "Coolant low" warning, surprised to see red, not orange color. Will check again in a few days to make sure no leak. Is it normal for coolant level to drop over time? It's been a year since the last coolant sys service.
No, is not normal to drop. It is a sealed system. I found a hairline crack the thermostat tower that had been the cause of a very slow leak over past year.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

[QUOTE=BlacXJRcat;1537809]Hello all,

I got my car back from the shop on Saturday. They replaced both upper and lower control arms, links and rods. Since the car was going to be on the lift I asked them to do a tranny service (pan and fluid).

Yesterday, I decided to refinish the brake calipers. I used VHT high temperature spray paint. I found the R decals on eBay. I first painted the calipers then applied the decals followed with clear coat. I think they turned out great being the first time I do something like this.

Now I need new wheels since this ones are looking old.

/QUOTE]
Looks good. Do you think the decals will hold up under high heat conditions?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 AM

I'm hoping the decals hold up. Maybe the clear coat helps.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I had 3 issues in about 36 hours.

1. Coolant leak.
2. Dipped beam HID bulb "failure".
3. P0171 warning.

Rectified the P0171. The other day I added a 2nd Corvette oil catch can to the high load breather pipe. There was a leak somewhere in the hoses so for now just reconnected original hose.

The dipped beam light is now working after I ordered two new bulbs.

Found the leak. I knew it was in the vicinity of the coolant reservoir but for the life of me could not see it other than evidence of light spray.

I wrapped paper toweling tied with string around suspect hoses and went for a drive.

The one paper towel around the upper radiator hose was partially soaked.

The picture is looking down in front, and slightly to the side, of the thermostat housing "branch" and the fluid is spraying up from where the hose from the aux pump connects to the underneath of the "branch"....I think.

The red sealant you see where the upper radiator hose connects to the "branch" is where I had a sensor "implanted" in side the hose. To be removed since the adjustable thermostat it was connected to failed.

Anyway I am ordering a new hose.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-2016-09-23-12.14.03.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

I did a few mods today & 1 this past Monday. The ones today were subtle, but sweet. I just switched the side marker lights to LEDS, & the fog lights to LEDS. Looks good. I hadn't got any night pics yet...

& on this past Monday, I received the Mina Gallery intake thanks to my guy Evan Trinh! I installed it & have been driving on it with a noticeable difference in the sound (not loud or anything, but a different sound that I like) & definitely get up! I had to adjust my take offs from a stand still. I just filled the tank up on yesterday, so I can focus on mpg now... No CEL or anything after install...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-20160922_152730.jpg   What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-20160922_152705.jpg   What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-20160922_155734.jpg   What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-20160922_150953.jpg   What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-20160922_152719.jpg  

Last edited by Marque; 09-23-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good Marque!

I decided to tackle the lighting in my overhead console. I have decided that I really dislike the overhead console on these XJ's. My pointer and middle finger on my right hand are sliced open in multiple locations. Somehow, I broke the reflex mechanism in the passenger side courtesy light of the console button(that makes it pop back out after you press it). I found most of the pieces, but 1 is still missing. The overhead console does not seem to like LED lighting. The festoon bulb glows even in the off position, showing that it still has slight current flow, even when turned off. I cannot get the right or left courtesy lights to work with the LED's. I may end up having to put the original bulbs back in.

Since I may not be able to repair the damage to the passenger side switch, I may just buy the overhead console with the wood trim... as I really like the look.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Changed front rotors and pads. Went from slotted and dimpled back to plain and akebano pads. So much quieter and smoother when coming to a stop.

Anyone want slotted and dimpled rotors?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Installed new Lemfoerder rear toe links and did wheel alignment.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X350/X358 today?-wheel-alignment-001.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OSK_Gomer
Looks good Marque!

I decided to tackle the lighting in my overhead console. I have decided that I really dislike the overhead console on these XJ's. My pointer and middle finger on my right hand are sliced open in multiple locations. Somehow, I broke the reflex mechanism in the passenger side courtesy light of the console button(that makes it pop back out after you press it). I found most of the pieces, but 1 is still missing. The overhead console does not seem to like LED lighting. The festoon bulb glows even in the off position, showing that it still has slight current flow, even when turned off. I cannot get the right or left courtesy lights to work with the LED's. I may end up having to put the original bulbs back in.

Since I may not be able to repair the damage to the passenger side switch, I may just buy the overhead console with the wood trim... as I really like the look.
I converted mine to led on the main courtesy light and reading lamps and throughout the rest of the interior, you need to use bulbs that are compatible with canbus and then they will not glow.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Smile

Believe the trans fluid leak is finally handled, i hope. New metal pan from Phenix, gasket, trans fluid, from the local Ford dealer, filter from local trans shop, pump from O'Riley's, couple hours work, & on the road again.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
A lot of the other models have this kind of a thread and I always enjoy reading what people have done to their cars, whether its something mundane like replacing a bulb or some big mod like new wheels or new paint. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread like that here in our neck of the woods.

I'll start it off...today I removed all the LEDs I had in the interior lights, and put the old stock bulbs back in. I had the white LEDs installed for a long time, but recently I've found myself wanting more of a old-school warm feeling.
I reflashed my PCM/TCM to latest calibration files... and it still runs!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:05 AM

Yesterday, I took my car into the shop to have the rear rotors replaced as well as installing new front and back brake pads. Since the car was on the lift I asked them to replace the failing tie rods. Apparently the people I ordered the tie rods from sent me two different parts. One had a taller cone insert on the ball joint. The people at the shop didn't catch it. After they aligned the car I immediately noticed that my steering wheel was way off center also there was a clunking niose coming from where the wrong part was installed.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated. Now I have to take it in next Saturday to get everything corrected. The most aggravating part is the inattention to details. Who in their right state of mind would think that a steering wheel so off would be acceptable.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
Apparently the people I ordered the tie rods from sent me two different parts. One had a taller cone insert on the ball joint. The people at the shop didn't catch it. After they aligned the car I immediately noticed that my steering wheel was way off center also there was a clunking niose coming from where the wrong part was installed.
Very sorry to hear that. I would try to get a partial refund from the parts supplier for their mistake. Most shops would test drive after an alignment job or any kind of suspension work, wonder why yours didn't do that -- maybe you can also cut a deal with them for your return visit, citing their inattentiveness.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?