XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996/97 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 1996/97 xj6

So, today a friend of mine informed me her brother has a 1996/97 XJ6 he wants to sell, but it doesn't run...

So, I went over and I looked at it, it was built 10/96 (MY 97?) has a bad battery, and some bad paint work. Car has sat for a few months without being driven. I have determined that it is due to the incorrect battery being installed.

Hooked my battery out of my xj8 to it, and it fired right up. Runs really well, but here is the catch:

The car has over 200k miles on it. It's around 200,4xx miles, but the engine was rebuilt at 200,1xx miles.

Not sure if it's original tranny. The body isn't perfect, the interior is in really nice shape given the milage.

He want's 5k out of the car, thinking of offering 1k for it, any advice on what I should watch out for? I didn't really get a good chance to get too in-depth in the car, planning to go back and spend a day with it. But if anyone has any pointers, that'd be really great!

Also, what did the xj6 run for a tranny?

------------------------EDIT---------------------
The car is anthracite on black

Old 10-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

You can buy a close to perfect one with less than 100k miles for $5K!
Xmsn should be 4HP24, a 4 speed, electronically-controlled automatic.
There is a buyer's guide in the stickies, also a thread with "Common problems" in the title that will reveal in detail what usually goes wrong with these. Paint is an expensive fix. If you can get it out on the road and listen for noise from the diff...that is another problem that may crop up at 200K which can also be an expensive fix.
Kind of surprised at an engine rebuild, 1) the AJ16 doesn't normally need it by 200k and 2) things are so durable breakers practically give 'em away because there is little demand, so I'd think most people that do have a failure would find it much cheaper to replace with one from a breaker.

Good luck, and keep us posted...

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-26-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:16 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Everything aholbro1 said. The paint alone, I would say, is enough to make it a bad deal even at $1,000. You can find a much better example, inside and out, for 3-5 grand.

That being said, if you are still interested, definitely listen for diff noise, transmission mount noise (give 'er some ***** in reverse), weird or out of place tramlining, bad tires, and check the coils--I'm guessing those would be skimped out on in a rebuild. You can check them at night with the cover off, or in the daytime with a paper towel tube. Look for a light show, it should be obvious.

Apply these tests to any candidate car, actually. There's a much better in-depth guide here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...yers-guide.doc

Hope your hunt goes well!

The following users liked this post:
AMANDUH (10-29-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM

Really great info, thanks guys!

Is there anything special about the anthracite color that would make it more or less expensive than any other color?

Is the Anthracite color more or less desirable than any other color?
To my understanding the car was kept up, mechanically very well. The body isn't perfect, but better than my XJ8 was when I first got it.

And lastly, is there much of an advantage of having an xj6 over an xj8?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
Really great info, thanks guys!

Is there anything special about the anthracite color that would make it more or less expensive than any other color?

Is the Anthracite color more or less desirable than any other color?
To my understanding the car was kept up, mechanically very well. The body isn't perfect, but better than my XJ8 was when I first got it.

And lastly, is there much of an advantage of having an xj6 over an xj8?
Anthracite is the rarest colour for sure. I personally don't like the look on the X300 but many, many people prefer it. I would say it is relatively sought after.

Obviously the XJ6 has a slight edge in reliability, assuming the XJ8 has had its preventative maintenance done (otherwise it's more of a landslide for the XJ6!). I have heard that the X300 has a more Jaguar-faithful suspension and driving feel, though I can't personally confirm that. I can confirm that the smiles per gallon factor for me is off the charts, and I can't imagine a better balance of handling, comfort and road feel!

The X308 has the edge in horsepower and the backup sensors--probably a few more features if someone wants to chime in! I have heard that V8s get poorer mileage over time whereas a broken-in inline six may actually improve to an extent. Regardless, the Andy bracket can only be fitted to an X300!

Other than that I would say it comes down to personal preference. I for one prefer the inconveniently low roof of the X300--the X308 gains an inch or two of headroom IIRC. I am 6'2 and definitely have to sit very far back, but at least I never have to use the sun blinds!

Old 10-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'm partial to the interior/dash layout of the X300 vs. X308. But WALDT. I'm not familiar with the torque spec of the 4.0/4.2 V8's, but IMHO, the true joy in driving the X300 is found when exercising the 290 Ft-lbs that come in early on a torque curve that is flat as a Kansas prairie! Another personal preference, but I find the X300's more attractive under the bonnet, particularly if one keeps after that magnesium cam cover....

If aftermarket head-units are your thing, I give the nod to the X308. Some guys here have made valiant efforts and have posted some innovative and attractive solutions.... yet I've yet to see one I prefer aesthetically over the OEM head, despite the limited functionality and cantankerousness thereof.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM

Probably a question better for the x308 thread, but in general is Anthracite the most sought after color on all models or just the x300's?

And I must agree, the sound, and the way the engine looks under the bonnet on the x300 is beautiful. My x308 has had all mechanical work done, it has 113k on the clock, and I get about 18-21MPG (highway).

I am in my x308 for A LOT more than it is worth, as many of us may be... Heh
Anyone know if anthracite on cashmere interior ever existed?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Check stickies; I was looking at a color/trim chart within the last few weeks... and I *think* it was in the stickies ... either here or under the "General tech info" section