XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

6x9? rear deck subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 6x9? rear deck subwoofer

Has anyone tried to fit a speaker in their Base XJ6? The Vanden Plas with premuim sound system had a Harman Kardon subwoofer.

I'm wondering if I can just fit a regular 6x9 woofer into that same cut out?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It'll have to be thin. Not much room between the panel and the top of the fuel tank. Only about 2.5" as I recall

Cheers
DD

Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

The opening will fit a 6x9 speaker as long as it's not too deep. There isn't much space above the fuel tank. Open your trunk and peel down the carpeting on the fwd wall. You'll clearly see how much room you've got to work with (about 3 inches or so?)

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

That's true, there's not much space, but there's another option, after you take the shelf off (of course after removing rear seat) you'll see, that between the part you took off and the metal there's a bit of space as well, possibly around an inch if my memory serves me well. Which in theory means you should be able to put a spacer ring and that should give you an extra inch of depth Of course you'd have to put some protective foam around the ring and mounting points of the subwoofer, to make sure the shelf doesn't vibrate like mad. At least that is my plan for sound system upgrade (whenever it happens)...

Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Has anyone tried to fit a speaker in their Base XJ6? The Vanden Plas with premuim sound system had a Harman Kardon subwoofer.

I'm wondering if I can just fit a regular 6x9 woofer into that same cut out?
It would have to have a low mounting depth
the current Alpine R-spec 6x9s have a low mount depth but are still rated about 100w RMS and 300w max - google their specs

alternatively, go subwoofer in boot
I have done this and I am happy so far. However I had to go down to 5 1/4" door speakers (JVC) which sound just fine when stationary, but underway they aint got much bass because of the road noise from our NZ coarse-chip seal.
So there is a 'hole' between the subwoofer (works up to 100Hz) and the door speakers - not great mid-range bass. So Charlie Watts' drums, Keith Richards' gritty riffs, Led Zep, the Who etc lack a bit of oomph (great bass guitar though!)

I am getting a custom MDF angled box made up at present, to go on the parcel shelf (it will be upholstered in grey vinyl to match the leather), and I will run two Alpine 6 1/2" R-spec speakers from the subwoofer amp in this box. I reckon that'll fill the gap...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
It would have to have a low mounting depth
the current Alpine R-spec 6x9s have a low mount depth but are still rated about 100w RMS and 300w max - google their specs

alternatively, go subwoofer in boot
I have done this and I am happy so far. However I had to go down to 5 1/4" door speakers (JVC) which sound just fine when stationary, but underway they aint got much bass because of the road noise from our NZ coarse-chip seal.
So there is a 'hole' between the subwoofer (works up to 100Hz) and the door speakers - not great mid-range bass. So Charlie Watts' drums, Keith Richards' gritty riffs, Led Zep, the Who etc lack a bit of oomph (great bass guitar though!)

I am getting a custom MDF angled box made up at present, to go on the parcel shelf (it will be upholstered in grey vinyl to match the leather), and I will run two Alpine 6 1/2" R-spec speakers from the subwoofer amp in this box. I reckon that'll fill the gap...
That is actually going to be my plan I think.
I'm gonna try to make my own custom box to fit on the rear deck and find some shallow woofers. I think that would be the best option since the rear doesn't really have anything on top anyways.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I make a subwoofer enclosure for a Gen 3 Prius (my daily driver), I'm guessing something similar for my Jaguar would be nice in the boot.

Depending on what kind of a demand the thing would bring, I'd make a mold of it and make them available in the US for a fair price. I thought about a wooden/MDF box, but they use so much room.

Attached Thumbnails 6x9? rear deck subwoofer-right56.jpg   6x9? rear deck subwoofer-right57.jpg   6x9? rear deck subwoofer-right60.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Tim, I have an odd feeling that subwoofer in the boot of XJ6 is not the best idea... From what I've read, the sound doesn't travel that well from boot into the car... Thare's hell lot a steel and other things in the way, it's not hatchback like Focus or Prius...
Even when I installed the parking sensors, I thought to myself, I'll place the bleeping speaker in the boot, then tested it, windows closed, boot closed, engine off, and couldn't hear a thing... Then run the wires from the boot and placed that thing under the parcel shelf and it's loud as hell, even though the shelf is covering it well and I have a lot of noise from that damn clutch bearing...

By the way, Tim, did you just say BOOT, not TRUNK? :-O

Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM

I did use "boot". It's a British car, right? My MGB has a boot, bonnet, and hood.

I'll have to drop a boxed sub in the trunk some time to see how it works. If it bombs, then thanks for the head up. Maybe we could port it into the back seat. hmmmm

BTW, what's a clutch?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I did use "boot". It's a British car, right? My MGB has a boot, bonnet, and hood.

I'll have to drop a boxed sub in the trunk some time to see how it works. If it bombs, then thanks for the head up. Maybe we could port it into the back seat. hmmmm

BTW, what's a clutch?
Good one Tim And you know well I'm one of not many lucky guys here to own a manual X300

The seat idea sounds good Do you mean something like that thread once on the FG forum, where bloke fabricated new backrest as a subwoofer enclosure? Or are you talking only about that small space where the armrest goes? What about space under the front seats? Is there enough space for some sort of enclosure? I'm buzzing with ideas now! Mate, that's your fault!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I have a subwoofer in the boot and the bass gets through fine

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by FireCrow
The seat idea sounds good Do you mean something like that thread once on the FG forum, where bloke fabricated new backrest as a subwoofer enclosure? Or are you talking only about that small space where the armrest goes? What about space under the front seats? Is there enough space for some sort of enclosure? I'm buzzing with ideas now! Mate, that's your fault!
No, keep it all in the trunk, but use a ported box with a tube to the parcel shelf. Probably where the 6x9 speaker goes.

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I have a subwoofer in the boot and the bass gets through fine
But, AL NZ says it woks fine. Maybe the FireCrow just needed a few more watts.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Where would you wire the 6x9 parcel shelf speaker in,just take it from one of the rear parcel shelf speakers or door speakers ??

Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The original is a DUAL COIL subwoofer.
Which channel are you going to wire to?(the left or the right?)
The dual coil has BOTH channels.

More research?

Old 03-18-2020, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The original is a DUAL COIL subwoofer.
Which channel are you going to wire to?(the left or the right?)
The dual coil has BOTH channels.

More research?
im only thinking of wiring a standard 6x9 speaker in there to compliment rear speakers

Old 03-18-2020, 09:04 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

But you will need to decide WHICH channel if you don't use a DUAL COIL loudspeaker.
It might sound UNBALANCED.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
But you will need to decide WHICH channel if you don't use a DUAL COIL loudspeaker.
It might sound UNBALANCED.
I’ll have to find a dual coil 6x9 then

can I take the input from the little tweeters in the shelf, do they receive a full signal and adapt that at their location or do they only receive treble etc ?