XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95 xj6 strange problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 xj6 strange problems

Hello out there have a couple of issues with my 95 xj6. It has been running great but lately it has been having dash issues. The gauges would all of the sudden lose power then all the indicator lights would light up just like when you first start up, but I'm driving 70mph down the highway. I replaced two coils and that problem seems to be fixed or it could be related to what is happening now, it started shifting very harsh like it had a shift kit, then I would say it went into limp mode because it was taking off in what seemed like third gear. I pulled over , shut it down for a minute, restarted it, (it fired right up) but now it shows no oil pressure on the gauge and the little oil light is on. Sorry if that sounds confusing but if anybody has any ideas I would be glad to try and explain in better detail, thanks

Old 12-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Farmer! Please hop over to the new members section and make an introductory post so you can get a proper welcome and launch yourself toward full membership benefits.
You are likely correct in connecting you instrument panel behavior to faulty coils.
The oil pressure transducer is a known problem area and you most likely need the fix-kit which consists of an 8 psi switch that replaces the transducer (near the oil filter) and an in-line resistor. According to the TSB, the IP should be reprogrammed but several here have fit the kit without that step and had no problems. About $50, if I recall.
For the xmsn, I'd start with basics; condition and level of the fluid, does it exhibit the behavior in both "Normal" and "Sport?" Is the battery a bit flat? Assuming all of that checks out, I'd drop the pan and change fluid and filter anyway, take a gander at what is stuck to the magnets, etc.
You'll find "how-to's" for all of this with a few brief minutes spent in the "Search" window. Others will be along to welcome you and provide more/better info.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Don B (12-21-2015), MountainMan (12-24-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Hey aholbro1 thanks for the quick reply. The pressure switch on the car has the wiring with the resistor already on it, so it must of been updated but it still could have failed? If it shows no oil pressure will it act the way it does? I should mention that I always leave it in sport mode and when it started this the sport light was flashing about 5 or 6 times then the trans warning light came on. It will reset after shutting down but when I restart I can hear a clicking sound coming from the control in the right side kick panel. When I bought the car it had a bad miss when hot so I replaced all 6 coils, but I don't think they are of good quality, they came from Advance auto parts but I believe they where in Beck Arnley boxes, which I am told are no good? Keep the suggestions coming I have to get to working on it this week its getting to cold to ride my motorcycle to work!! Thanks, Farmer

Old 12-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

As far as I know, this is the definitive coil thread:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

Haven't seen much on transmission problems, maybe some more knowledgeable members will happen along an offer some sage advice on that one.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Don B (12-21-2015), MountainMan (12-24-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 04:41 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Found your thread now the fuzzies are clearing a tad.

Those coils you have are apparently the "bottom of the barrel" brand as to quality is concerned.

The other thing that has been discussed a fair bit over the years is the actual engine EARTH strap. It is fickle at best. I usually clean them at each end, and then attach 2 or more "extra" straps wherever I can find a convenient place whilst under the car during the oil change time.

The oil sender/sensor is an issue, but if it cannot find a good earth, all sorts of things go wrong.

The transmission in yours is an electronic version, and again, earths will reek havoc if they are bad.

I would spend a Saturday, and go over every earth, and there are MANY, and remove and clean them patiently and properly, then see what happens, most people report success.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-28-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Default 95 xj6

Hello again, sorry for not getting back to you guys been busy with family,lol. I put all 6 original coils back in and my dash problems went away! The transmission even works as it should. The only reason I replaced the coils in the first place was because of a hot misfire, one of the coils had a large crack in the side causing it to arc to the plug well., so I just replaced all six with it appears to be junk aftermarket coils. In a pinch I epoxied the crack and wrapped it with electrical tape till I get a good coil. My next question can I replace just one coil? As of now it is running fine. I guess I'll just drive it until it acts up,lol. I'm off to try and get the heater working alittle better, thanks for the help

Old 01-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Maybe swap each of your six junk coil in until you find one that works?

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

And yes, you can replace one coil.