XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

ABS light: Aside from the module, where are some other causes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ABS light: Aside from the module, where are some other causes?

Hello,

My 1996 XJ6 with 135k miles in very good overall condition sat all winter without being driven, and I went to put it back on the road today and the ABS light came on. I've read the threads about the module, but before I tear into that, what are some places to look for simple things like dirty connections, etc., that may cause an ABS light?

I already removed and reinserted the plug to the module (the one that needs a 10mm wrench to remove); the terminals were all very clean and bright. Where else, what about at the wheels, etc.?

Thanks for your input,

Tony K.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Why not go for a code-read and dispense with the guesswork? Could be wheelspeed sensor(s)....or....there is more to module failure than just the motor-pins....don't think it is terribly common but there are several code-worthy events that can occur in there...more than just the C1095.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Will a standard OBDII code reader tell me something, or do I need Jaguar-specific/proprietary software to find anything?

Will there be a code with just the ABS light on (no check engine light)?

How specific do the codes get - would they be as specific, for example, as to identify a particular wheel/sensor?

Thanks,

Tony

Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM

P.S. -- any input on common failures due to dormancy/corrosion, etc., would be appreciated. It's much easier for me to remove a wheel than it is to go and buy a code reader . . . I used to have one but I don't any more.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
Will a standard OBDII code reader tell me something, or do I need Jaguar-specific/proprietary software to find anything?
Std. OBDII will only read the powertrain codes. You need AE with Jag module, or WDS/IDS to read chassis codes.

Will there be a code with just the ABS light on (no check engine light)?
Yes, but not according to your std, $20-$50 OBDII scanner.

How specific do the codes get - would they be as specific, for example, as to identify a particular wheel/sensor?

Thanks,

Tony
You've outrun my expertise, but I believe they do. I do know the C1095 tells you the pump motor isn't working...not that the pins on the board that power it need to be soldered...you have to come here to the forum to find that out!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The ABS Module will give a 'C' code for the fault. Here is the DTC summary for the TEVES Mk IV ABS system in your car.

If I did not have a WDS and I had lots of time and money I would just start replacing every component in the system one-by-one.

But I HAVE a WDS so I would just replace or repair the fault and go on with my life.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABS_teves_mkIV.pdf (59.9 KB, 340 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

At what speed does the light come on after you turn the car off and back on? If the speedometer is working then remove the two front sensors from the hub and clean the grease off untill the chrome is shiny and install back. If the light is still comming on then remove the backs and do the same. That should clear up your error.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Update: I drove the car to work and back, and the next day, the light was gone. The car had not been driven all winter. So, ABS is working again . . . will check into it next time light comes on -- too busy with home remodel to worry about working ABS right now!....

Thanks for the excellent advice; I will refer back to this thread next time the problem creeps up . . .

- Tony