XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Body Processor Module BPM 97 xj6L

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Body Processor Module BPM 97 xj6L

HI Everyone, I need help getting a firm answer on this.
I have been told a few times that on the 95-97 xj6 that the BPM's are plug and play if you replace with the exact module. Then I read elsewhere that the module WILL need to be reprogrammed by the Jag Dealer who has the necessary computer program? Does anyone know the answer to this? My local svc tech does not have the software to do this but is willing to try the "plugnplay" if I can find a module that is exact. Really appreciate anyone with some info on this..
Love my jag!

Last edited by Don B; 05-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Jagicon,

I assume that what you were referring to as the Control Body Module is what Jaguar calls the Body Processor Module (BPM), so I have changed the title of your thread accordingly. Please let me know if I misunderstood.

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but I do know that the BPM part numbers were different according to country or region. I also seem to recall that BPMs were different depending on whether you had the factory security system. Check jaguarclassicparts.com for part numbers.

Hopefully other members will have an authoritative answer for you.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-10-2018), Jagicon (05-04-2018), MountainMan (05-09-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I can categorically state that the BPM does not need to be, and in fact cannot be, programmed by any software (Jaguar or anything else).

Although there is a statement on the BPM box that says "Programmable Module" - that is at the factory. Jaguar JDS or IDS do not have any functionality to change the BPM.

The only "programming" possible on an XJ300 is

- Engine ECU - TPS calibration and O2 sensor Orientation
- Keys/Remotes
- Other "features" (for example whether to bleep when alarm is armed) but nothing fundamental to operation of the vehicle.

The following 4 users liked this post by b1mcp:
93SB (05-10-2018), Don B (05-03-2018), Jagicon (05-04-2018), MountainMan (05-09-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I will add though that there are region & country specific Body Processor Module (BPM) part numbers. Different features were available and thus enabled based upon region and country.

For example, the USA and Canadian BPM are in theory identical, except the Canadian has daylight running lights enabled.

I think someone posted a link to a breakdown of some of the BPM region/country differences at some point, but you'd have to search.

Here is the thread where I ask about BPM compatibility:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...otchas-137798/

Bottom line, if you have the correct BPM for your region/country, it is plug-and-play.

Following are links to the various region/country BPM part numbers:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-with-security

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...control-module

The following 4 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
93SB (05-10-2018), Don B (05-03-2018), Jagicon (05-04-2018), MountainMan (05-09-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 AM

just want to thank Don, Brendan and Al for this very useful answer! I will show it to my tech and hopefully this will solve my issue. This forum has been so helpful!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-04-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagicon
just want to thank Don, Brendan and Al for this very useful answer! I will show it to my tech and hopefully this will solve my issue. This forum has been so helpful!
Might want to post your issue here, no point in asking your tech to re-invent the wheel....

Old 05-07-2018, 01:10 PM

I have been told a few times that on the 95-97 xj6 that the BPM's are plug and play if you replace with the exact module. Then I read elsewhere that the module WILL need to be reprogrammed by the Jag Dealer who has the necessary computer program? Does anyone know the answer to this? My local svc tech does not have the software to do this but is willing to try the "plugnplay" if I can find a module that is exact. Really appreciate anyone with some info on this..
Love my jag!
THIS IS THE ISSUE: I actually posted last year about my right turn signal intermittently not working. I replaced the signal switch and this did not solve this issue. My svc tech replaced the LCM (light control module) and this did not solve the issue.
The service tech and I discussed the car at this point and I have been complaining about the car slamming when I hit the a pot hole. It is annoying and traumatic! I actually had posted that issue here a while back.

The tech looked at the BPM and when he had it in his hands and turned it over it "affected" the signal. He feels that there may be a crack in the module (due to the slamming when I hit a hole?) or a circuit may be heating up after driving for a bit (the signal always works when I first use the car each day and then after the 4th or 5th time I use the right signal it will not work) and causing the signal to not work. So, we are going try the module I guess.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

The tech looked at the BPM and when he had it in his hands and turned it over it "affected" the signal. He feels that there may be a crack in the module (due to the slamming when I hit a hole?) or a circuit may be heating up after driving for a bit (the signal always works when I first use the car each day and then after the 4th or 5th time I use the right signal it will not work) and causing the signal to not work. So, we are going try the module I guess.
Hi Jagicon,

If you have soldering skills, or have a good electronics repair shop in your area, it is possible that your BPM can be repaired. Common problems in Jaguar modules are circuit board solder joints that are cold (cooled too quickly), starved (insufficient solder), or cracked. These can usually be detected by eye, and are often resolved by reflowing the existing solder or adding some additional solder if necessary. Cracks in joints often appear around larger contact pins or relay base pins.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-10-2018), Jagicon (05-08-2018), MountainMan (05-09-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Default BPM inquiry I made to Jag Classic Parts UK

HI All, so I reached out to the Jag Classic Parts UK to ask about the BPM for my 97 xj6L giving them my Vin# etc. Their response is below:

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry. We have the unprogrammed mother units in stock so the /007 condition is available to order direct from your local Jaguar Retailer only.

Best regards
Glen Parkes

I have been looking at used BPM's and of course I want to be sure I get the right one. It looks like the parts place is wanting my local Jag Dealer to order this part, unprogrammed, for them to program? And the /007 seems to be important to the correct part? Anyone want to add to this so I can be sure I get the right part?

My module says: LNA2500BB/007 - F02457 and it also lists a Body No: 6T002735.
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There is a BPM for a 95 in the salvage yard I visit that is ready to easily remove since I boogied with the installed airbag next to it . If it's the same numbers and software versions do you want it . Cost + postage only

There is the issue of the separate LCM being 2 on the 95 up to production # x on the wiring diagram and only 1 after that production # and how they talk to the BCM . Off the top of my head the flasher is different and the car side fuse is uprated from 5 to 10 amp in the later production # s .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 05-22-2018 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lady Penelope:
Don B (05-22-2018), Jagicon (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Hi Lady Penelope, so reading your reply there could be an issue with the LCM to the BCM? I was searching for the BPM with the hopes and "understanding" that this would be a "plug and play" type install as long as it's the same model BPM. It's scary to think I would cause another issue. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thank you so much!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Default Right Signal not working all the time follow up

Love my jag!
Hi All, just wanted to update on this issue of my right signal not always working. We did not replace the module. The bulb light started to come on intermittently and then the when I would step on the brake pedal the bulb light would go out and the signal would work.. it was almost comical!!! So the service person put it up on the rack and searched further and found a 3" piece of wire on harness on the trunk and a connector that was not making full contact. It has been a few weeks now and the signal is working ! Yippeeeee! Thank you to all that offered their suggestions and answered my emails. This forum is really great!

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (06-23-2018)