XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Cheap replacement coils for all 95-97 x300

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Cheap replacement coils for all 95-97 x300

Hey Guys I will never pay 80 dollars per coil pack, that's just crazy for an old car. So i found a Lincoln LS along with a Mercury Mountaineer Have Coils that Fill work with The X300 Xj6. I made the adjustment meaning I cut off the extra loop that the screw would go into. The screw is unnecessary as it fits like a glove. Then the connector you have to cut off the top and bottom part of the plastic on the connector part. The Lincoln coils have a long spring inside so you can stretch it if you want more spring, not necessarily but a good idea. And when you the connector from the jaguar you have to flip it up side down, then plug it in to the coils connector. Since the coils connector shape is a little off, that's why you have to cut the top and bottom, off.

Below is a picture of the pack. I can send anyone who cares, a picture of what it looks like in the jaguar. I found they work exactly the same. Well actually much better. Since the Is not touching the super hot engine in the same manor, and they stick out about an inch.

Q: What about the plastic jaguar cover?
A: You still put it on, you don't even need longer screws, you push the coil in nice and snug, put the Jaguar connector on the modified part of the 2002 LS coil, MAKING SURE your plugging it in UPSIDE DOWN. put the cover on so all the packs are about an inch out. Since the Motors top is tapper-ed you can only put them in so far. Screw the top on. ( which works as an extra guard keeping them in-place, (Even though they fit perfectly tight anyway). Start her up and never worry about Jaguars crappy coils ever again.

IT works great. MY jaguar is a 4.0 I bought all 6 for 70.00$ with shipping off ebay brand new not some old crap. AND you will look like a really smart hero to anyone that asks you how you did it. IT does not really change how the motor looks, except for that plastic cover sticking up about 1 inch. The hood closes normal too no one would ever know. And your car will run better in super hot traffic conditions. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i..._deadhorse.gif

Im just posting this as an FYI you do have an alternative now.

2002 Lincoln LS V8 3.9 ( 1 Coil Pack ) | eBay

The following users liked this post:
uslow (08-17-2014)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there,

I wish I had seen this earlier, I just ordered a coil (at $70.00) on ebay.

I might try this soon

thanks for the info.

claude
Durham NC

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I know I'm a relative new guy when it comes to Jaguars but my head was in a spin the first few times that I read the story in the first post. I just didn't get it.
PeterKiryluk wrote ..... I will never pay 80 dollars per coil pack.
OK, so with the exchange rate and such like I figured that he was saying that either £50 was very expensive or that £50 was so cheap that it was bound to be rubbish.
But then I thought back to last week when I was getting coils priced and the price range was between £52 and £62 brand new and guaranteed.
With all that in mind, I was struggling to see why anyone would go to the trouble of buying non-Jag parts, adapting them by cutting bits off here and there before fitting them in a most peculiar way. But the worst bit was this (also from the OP) ..... Since the Is not touching the super hot engine in the same manor, and they stick out about an inch.
I couldn't get my head round that idea at all. It wasn't until I had another coffee that the penny finally dropped.
PeterKiryluk was writing about ignition coils and I was still thinking about suspension coils from my last M.O.T. advisory.
What a dufuss I is, lol.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just found a set of 6 (new) aftermarket ones for £99.99 on ebay,

Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaguar XJ6 coils? Not XJ8? Where did you find 6 online new, after market? Do you happen to have the name of the company that makes them? I've been looking on ebay this past week, I haven't seen anything for an Xj6 for 99$ Could you point me in the right direction please, because that's the deal of the year. Did you buy its from a another Jaguar owner please let me know. Thank you so much!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they have no name on them , just fitted to car and it fired up on turn of key, can"t road test as car is "S O R N" found on EBAY put in (jaguar x300 ignition coils) and they came up best of matey

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Old thread, but if you're reading this Peter, could you post/send some pics or more details?

I think I'm in need of some new coils, but don't see the point in the dubious-at-best aftermarket X300 options out there...

I'm guessing here, but are the Lincoln LS coils the same as the Jag S-type V8 ones? Might be easier to get hold of on this side of the pond!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Peter read this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/ on coils there are a lot of known issues with non genuine coils found that out myself the hard way

There are some pretty good coils available and the above post might help with picking them

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I believe he said he is using Lincoln LS coils, which are also S type coils. If anyone thinks that those coils are any more durable than the original AJ16 engine coils, he will be very disappointed. Just pop over to the S type forum and type in "misfire"....the difference is those coils can be had so cheaply, that its a non issue with them to replace all at once without putting much thought into it.

Having seen many, many owners have had coil failures with aftermarket coils ***designed*** for the AJ16 engines, I can't imagine that chopped up aftermarket coils for another engine will work well if you care about your car in any way. You can modify anything to fit anywhere. It does not mean that it's compatible in the long run. It's one thing to add aftermarket fans or a radio or a seat warmer to a car. Engine management parts are quite different.

A very creative mechanic had also fitted other type of fuel injectors into my XJS before I owned it. I think they where the cheaper AJ6 injectors. I am sure it worked well for a while, but being that they have totally different pulse specification they eventually caused a number of failures that took a lot of time and money to trace.

As far as I know the coils are "Jaguar specific" meaning they are designed for this car. Proof that this is the case is that even major manufacturers like Beck Arnley have been unsuccessful at making a good aftermarket coil for these cars.

The age of the car is also irrelevant to the cost of parts. The costs to run a 70k dollar car don't just go down because its devalued.

This not meant as an attack on the original poster, but rather as a reminder to other posters to think about what they are going to use in their cars. Not because one is a "purist" or because its wrong to find cheaper solutions, but rather because engine management parts, as I mentioned above, can have all sorts of consequences in how your car runs right down to your ECU.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I agree with the gist of the above post - 'once an expensive ca, always an expensive car'
I bought my X300 this year for $7000 NZD and have willingly spent a further $4-5000 putting right a few age-related drivetrain issues, all with OEM parts - and now I have a car that drives like new.

However I think the issue with the coils is actually being able to get OEM ones, isn't it?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
However I think the issue with the coils is actually being able to get OEM ones, isn't it?

Yes.

No.

Speaking for myself, I just want a coil that will last a few years rather than a few months.

It thus far appears that the only way to get a coil that will last is to find a true OEM coil, and that's proving to be difficult.

You could go to a Jaguar dealer and order a new coil (or coils) and presumably get one that comes from the original OEM supplier. I haven't tried that but with the passage of time and the way parts are produced and marketed, I seriously suspect it might be an alternate brand wrapped up in a Jaguar box.

If that's the case, and Jaguar still wants $400 each (that was the price last time I checked, maybe 14 months ago), it would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I agree Doug

i just bought half a dozen OEM oil filters.
NZD $45 each. stamped "Made to Jaguar specification in UK'. look the same as any other filter. However the oil pressure consistently comes up straight away without the variable delay or bearing rumble I was getting on start-up with a Fram.
So I have to have faith that the OEM filter IS better, certainly seems to have a more reliable non-return valve...

Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I agree Doug

i just bought half a dozen OEM oil filters.
NZD $45 each. stamped "Made to Jaguar specification in UK'. look the same as any other filter. However the oil pressure consistently comes up straight away without the variable delay or bearing rumble I was getting on start-up with a Fram.
So I have to have faith that the OEM filter IS better, certainly seems to have a more reliable non-return valve...

My preference is true OEM parts as well because, yes, they're known to be higher grade. Sometimes, though, I simply can't afford to. Other times the price just seems so utterly ridiculous that I stubbornly refuse to pay it. A single ignition coil for $400 is a good example. I can't afford it and, even if I could, I probably wouldn't. Thus the search for a decent alternative at a "let's get real, here" price . I may go down in defeat. We'll see!

I take care of a wide variety of cars. A couple years ago I was facing a dead starter on a Ferrari 512BBI. I could order a new one for $1800.00 and be done with it. Trust me, the owner of the car can spend $1800.00 with the same level of concern that I'd spend $18.00 ....but I just couldn't do it. It just seemed outrageous to me. There starter was plain-as-mud in design. I fixed the old starter for about $150.00 all told.

As for oil filters.....

I prefer true OEM Jag filters as well. A bare minimum it gives me a good feeling, and there's some value in that. I try to keep a supply on hand but sometimes run out. I order them for about $15.00 each, as I recall, from a known Jag supplier. That's twice the price of a quality aftermarket but, heck, what's an extra $7.50 per oil change in the grand scheme of things?

However....

Your $45.00 is about $36.00 US dollars. Frankly, I'd never pay *that* much for an OEM oil filter when known-good alternatives are far less. We all have our limits of tolerance....and mine simply doesn't go that high! But, we might have choices here that you might not have in NZ. Wix, AC Delco, etc.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I think that coils are still available in the UK and at reasonable prices.

For interest I punched in a UK weighted search and came up with assorted sellers.

Here is one. Ignition Coil Packs.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Richard, but availability per se isn't the problem. Dozens of retail vendors offer 'em and wholesale outfits in China are happy to sell 500 at a time!

Finding *good* ones is the problem

Cheers
DD

Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lincoln LS coils in my 1996 Vanden Plas

A bad coil pack made my car behave and run terrible. It took me a while to figure what the problem was.
I have over 23,000 miles on these Lincoln Ls coils and so far smooth sailing.
I read a post here about them and immediately found them and installed them.
Hell for 51.00 for six I can afford to replace them all if one goes bad.
So far smooth as silk.
911 New Ford Ignition Coil FD506 5C1179 C1234 Thunderbird Jaguar Lincoln LS 9302 | eBay

Just my two cents.

The following users liked this post:
panagiotis (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by uslow
A bad coil pack made my car behave and run terrible. It took me a while to figure what the problem was.
I have over 23,000 miles on these Lincoln Ls coils and so far smooth sailing.
I read a post here about them and immediately found them and installed them.
Hell for 51.00 for six I can afford to replace them all if one goes bad.
So far smooth as silk.
911 New Ford Ignition Coil FD506 5C1179 C1234 Thunderbird Jaguar Lincoln LS 9302 | eBay

Just my two cents.

Interesting. So did you have to physically modify them to fit?

Would be curious to see if anyone has specs on these as compared to the Jaguar coils to see how they compare.