XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Connect iPod to factory head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Connect iPod to factory head unit?

I noticed that Apple has dropped their price on the iPod Shuffle (after I bought my girlfriend one for Christmas! ), so now I'm wondering about disconnecting my factory CD changer and pluggingin aShuffle of my own. Has anyone tried this? Do any aftermarket suppliers offer a harness? Or is it just plain impossible?

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Connect iPod to factory head unit?

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do they make the install kit for the dash? Do they make a harness to plug in to the factory harness?

thanks
Brian

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought, via ebay, a harness that i plugged into the factory unit in bothmy XJ40 and X300. Whenever I press "cd" the stereo sources music from my mp3-player. Sound is superb and I really like the standard-looks of the Jaguar radio unit. This is how it looks in the forty;

[IMG]local://upfiles/3471/B70C4BEA9CDF43F0BFDAAD8D0F9D4751.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a few of those cheesy FM radio adapters that allow your iPod to connect to the car's FM radio. Didn'y work with a darn. I don't know if it's because of the antenna in my '97 VDP being so far to the rear of the car, but they all were terrible.

So I bought a simple cassette tape adapter that has a cord attached to it and that works great. They are all over ebay. Very cheat. Under $5.00.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by PontusL
I bought, via ebay, a harness that i plugged into the factory unit in bothmy XJ40 and X300. Whenever I press "cd" the stereo sources music from my mp3-player. Sound is superb and I really like the standard-looks of the Jaguar radio unit. This is how it looks in the forty;

[IMG]local://upfiles/3471/B70C4BEA9CDF43F0BFDAAD8D0F9D4751.jpg[/IMG]
I know this is pretty old now, but I'm wondering what kind of adapter that was. I want to do exactly what you did there. The cassette player on the stock radio is worn out now.

Attached Thumbnails  Connect iPod to factory head unit?-mp3.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I put in a Parrot Asteroid Classic
I like it and would buy another
connects to iphone wirelessly or 30-pin lead. Through the lead it does voice-activated music, eg: press button, speak "Jimi Hendrix" and it goes to all the Jimi on the iPhone.
Handsfree phone too
It looks a bit "old-school" not too flashy-red like some current head units

Attached Thumbnails  Connect iPod to factory head unit?-parrot.jpg  

Last edited by AL NZ; 04-15-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

That looks alright!
I'd been planning to just splice into the changer loom with a switch to 'choose' between the CD changer and an aux-in (which would be simple enough), but I think I'm leaning more towards just replacing the headunit. The stock one doesn't sound great, and I'd quite like to have bluetooth back!

I think this is the first car I've had for more than a week before replacing the stereo. In fact, when I think back it's pretty much always been done on the first day of ownership!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM

The Jag is one of 4 vehicles we have. I won't be spending money for a Parrot on an old car I only use half the year. I also want to keep control of the power antenna. If I can simply just buy a cord/adapter and plug that into my ipod or iphone when in the car for longer jaunts that would be great. Guess I'll have to pull the radio out to see what the cd player connection is and if I can hijack it for the ipod.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Dension do various iPod adapter kits that plug into the original harness.

They may do one for the Jag.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikesmith2
Dension do various iPod adapter kits that plug into the original harness.

They may do one for the Jag.

Not according to their website. I have to find time to pull the radio to see what's back there.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

There are two round DIN sockets on the back of an AJ9500 radio. One is the pre-outs for the Premium Sound System amplifier and the other is an Alpine M-Bus connection for the Cd changer.

The radio won't switch to the CD changer input until it has communicated with the CD changer and confirmed it is the correct model. Also, I think some of the wires are switched compared to standard Alpine. These are the two reasons why a standard Alpine CD changer won't work and nor will a standard Alpine M-Bus / iPod interface.

I was going to build an electronic module which spoke the M-Bus language and convinced the head unit to select the CD input. Then pressing the skip buttons on the stereo would skip my MP3s (played from a Raspberry Pi, as you need to go through a mountain of legal paperwork to remote control an iPod).

Then my head unit broke. They all do it eventually and I'm told you can't get the parts anymore. It stopped accepting the radio code even though the code was correct.

I'm now gutting the head unit and putting the Raspberry Pi and an io Play 2 carkit (which I engineered) in to the head unit casework instead. The icing on the cake will be when I get the buttons on the front of the old radio to drive the carkit/Raspberry Pi directly.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by theJPster
I was going to build an electronic module which spoke the M-Bus language and convinced the head unit to select the CD input. Then pressing the skip buttons on the stereo would skip my MP3s (played from a Raspberry Pi, as you need to go through a mountain of legal paperwork to remote control an iPod).

Then my head unit broke. They all do it eventually and I'm told you can't get the parts anymore. It stopped accepting the radio code even though the code was correct.

I'm now gutting the head unit and putting the Raspberry Pi and an io Play 2 carkit (which I engineered) in to the head unit casework instead. The icing on the cake will be when I get the buttons on the front of the old radio to drive the carkit/Raspberry Pi directly.
I was also considering a Raspberry Pi for in-car music, but did an iPhone dock instead. I always keep my music in the iPhone anyway, and dealing with two systems would be a drag. A little writeup on the project can be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-91787/

The next upgrade to this system is the integration of the steering wheel controls for next/previous songs. I am adding a microcontroller (ARM) to handle the button (resistor network) to iPod serial remote protocol.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

As it happens, the io Play 2 carkit has both an iPod/iPhone connector and an input for resistor ladder steering wheel controls.

But, I had an iPhone once and it broke (twice), so I'm happy to stick with Bluetooth and keep the phone out of sight.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM

Wow some of you guys are really making a huge effort and coming out with some nice set ups. I'm looking for less effort and lowest cost option that nets an acceptable result. Kinda looks like I'll end up looking for a new head unit. Does anyone still make them that runs the old school power antenna?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgjeeper
Wow some of you guys are really making a huge effort and coming out with some nice set ups. I'm looking for less effort and lowest cost option that nets an acceptable result. Kinda looks like I'll end up looking for a new head unit. Does anyone still make them that runs the old school power antenna?

someone mentioned the casset tape adapter, which is what I use occasionally also. its dirt cheap.

Is the sound from the speakers really all that better with a new head unit? I always figured it were the speakers that sucked...

Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM

The cassette player on our head unit is worn out. I need a new head unit that isn't too expensive, connects with the iphone easily and controls the power antenna.