XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Inside door handle return spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Inside door handle return spring?

I've seen posts describing a broken interior door handle cable. An issue recently cropped up on my drivers side interior door handle, but I'm not sure if it's the same issue that others describe.

On mine, the interior door handle opens the door as normal, but the handle does not properly retract after I've used it. It also properly unlocks the doors when accessed, so in all respects, it is fully functional... except for the lack of returning to it's normal resting point. It 's not a big deal, but if there is a simple, easily accessible spring that I can just replace, I'd do it.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and how did you fix it?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just delt with this problem last week. I had what felt like a weak return spring for a few months before it finally broke.

The end of the cable terminates in a cable stop that over time the individual strands break free causing the handle not to return to it's proper position.

I tried the method in the link below but found the new cable stop would bind or block the locking mechanism:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ed-%242-26241/

I ended up just getting a used handle w/ cable from a Jag breaker for $40

Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Imagineaudio, I guess my issue is the same as yours, then.

I tried taking the door panel off, but had issues. The upper panel was easy, but I could not get the lower panel off. I saw DD's post describing the process as well as your post on the "XL" clip. But, Doug suggests "remove behind puddle lens". I took the lens off but could not see any screw or obvious clip. Did you see one there? I found the screw inside the door handle cup, rubber vent boot, and door pull, but couldn't remove the panel. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that's it, no screw behind "puddle lens"

The large clip I took a picture of doesn't come out of the retainer easily. I had to push the panel up enough for the retainer to free itself from it's seated position in the door. The clip and the retainer came out together.

Once the panel was off, I had to use vise-grips to push the tangs of the clip in far enough to release the retainer. I then re-seated the retainer in the door.

basically, in the door you have a metal edge, a "U" shape has been cut in it. The plastic retainer has slats on three sides that slide on to the metal from the top of where it's cut away.

It makes more sense when you see it.