XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Ski slope back lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski slope back lighting

Greetings Gents and Ladies,

Ski slop back lighting. I have determined that most of the the bulbs are just out. However, i haven't taken the slope apart as of yet. Do you advise pulling it down FIRST, getting a bulb out then replacing due to not being able to identify which bulbs are used or can i go ahead a order bulbs because they are standard?

If i can order, what bulbs and where do you suggest? the back lighting is green in it's color.

Thanks for any help. My 97 XJ is really coming along!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Opinions vary.

I went thru hell and high water with bulbs. Long story short, if you want the replacements to match the "factory" color and brightness, get the genuine Jaguar bulbs from the dealer and cough up the stupid-expensive money they ask for them.

Or buy aftermarket for about $1.00 each.

As I recall they are "T5 neo wedge" but I'll try to verify that.

Incidentally, you can buy LED replacments but I found them to be way too bright, personally.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Here's one (of hundreds) on-line vendor selling LED and incandescent dash bulbs

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

In thinking about it the T5 bulb is too big as I recall.

T5 = 12mm base T4=10mm base T3=8mm base

I'm sure someone here will know as several members really get into lighting stuff.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi.

There are two types of bulbs used in the center control panel. In the clock panel, you could use T4 mini-base bulbs. Those lights are green because they wear blue rubber cap. Originally the light from the bulbs are yellow-orange, so when they are mixed they look green. So you could buy normal bulbs and put the rubber cap fitted originally on the new ones.
The problem is the air-con control panel. Behind the digital panel they use the same bulbs(2 bulbs) as the clock, but in the other parts they use special size bulbs. They are a little bit smaller than T4 but bigger than T3. You could shave the hole of the substrate with knife to enlarge it for the bulbs to be set into. Or you have to buy genuine bulbs. They are not too expensive, I believe they are like 4 dollars each or so.
Hope this helps

Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Opinions vary.

I went thru hell and high water with bulbs. Long story short, if you want the replacements to match the "factory" color and brightness, get the genuine Jaguar bulbs from the dealer and cough up the stupid-expensive money they ask for them.

Or buy aftermarket for about $1.00 each.

As I recall they are "T5 neo wedge" but I'll try to verify that.

Incidentally, you can buy LED replacments but I found them to be way too bright, personally.

Cheers
DD
Me too. When I still had my 97 XJ the bulbs for the lock botton and both heated seat switches burned out so I went to the dealer to buy what I though where original OEM bulbs and turns out they were not. I mean they shined like supposed to but were a slightly different design that I was never able to tighten snuggly into place.

So I put them in the best I could and put the ski slope back in the dash. Then a day latter I'd go over a dump and the bulbs would pop out of place. After going through that twice I just finally said forget it and drove around with the lock botton and heated seat switches not illuminated. I don't know if Jaguar changed the design of the bulbs or they sold me X308 bulbs or what. But I went back there they confirmed these were supposedly the right ones for the X300. And I know for sure they were not the same ones I pulled out when they burned out. They even looked slightly different visually.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership

i called my local jag dealer...and had zero confidence in the salesman looking these up. However, he was kind enough to tell me he could order them for 15 bucks each. and there are 6...

i found a jag dealer in texas who had them for 8 bucks each. they are supposed to be factory stuff. i will let you each know...

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Oubadah made a very informative post here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38712

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ummm, shameless plug for someone who has helped me in the past, with these bulbs no less,

www.motorcarsltd.com ask for Ken.

Whatever you do, keep the little greenish plastic sleeves from the old bulbs. They do come in handy.