XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

this sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default this sucks

Well i returned the jag to the dealer. There was just to much wrong,plus the fact the paint on the trunk was fadded as well as the roof. I wanted it so bad but it wasent worth what i thought i was going to pay for it. It had 130xxx and neither front seat would move back and forth,the 3rd brake light was commin loose and leaning,the car wouldnt come out of park sometimes unless you messed with the tilt wheel,the #5 coil was out or going bad which caused a CEL,needed brakes,needed something on the front suspension (never got around to checking it out) the back of the driver seat was falling off,the center console didnt latch,the cup holder was missing and also didnt latch,the front passenger window would only go down not up with the control on that side but it would work up and down just fine with my control,the cable was all duct taped up going to the cruise control,and the sport feature didnt work. i think thats about it?? I was gonna pay $4,9xx for it..

Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

sounds like a firm offer of $900

Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Not that low. But then I don't think it's worth the 5 they were asking.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Compared to prices I've seen for some prety clean ones it's prob a good thing you've returned it. Still sucks though. Keep looking I'm sure you can find a better one out there for a decent price..
Dayn.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that the car was so neglected and beat up, I think Jagdan is right though, keep looking good luck.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be patient grasshopper (wow, I'm dating myself with that one, lol!)...something MUCH better will come along for less money...I wanted to get one that was as much turn key as possible, so I waited until I finally got my '96 XJ6 BRG. It was well worth the wait! If I get the urge to work on a car that needs fixing of one kind or another, that's what I have my '91 Saab turbo convertible for! But the Saab is running GREAT now, since I finally completed the upgrade to a front-mount intercooler and got all new balljoints installed on the front. But I digress...

With all the things wrong with the one you mentioned, plus they wanted $5K for it, those are two strikes in my book. Better to walk away and fight another day...and Craig's List is your friend!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Weren't you the one who was after 400 horsepower? Might be better to look at the V8 XJRs anyway...

Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Keep looking, they're out there. Took me at least 6 months of waiting and lconstant ooking for the right one to come along.

Agreed that a V8 XJR might be something for you to consider as well....much faster than the XJR/6. You'll have to cough up a bit more dough, though, for a good 'un.

Interesting that the dealer let you turn it back in. That's cool. Usually "all sales are final" and "if it breaks in two, you own both pieces" :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 AM

Yeah I know. What years and what kind of price should I expect to pay for a v8 one. I guess for now the good ole Mach 1 will gave to settle for my DD.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a little side issue about buying cars.
I was 59 years and 9 month old before the Boss Lady and I decided that now was the time for me to start looking for a car that would be my own. It could be any car that I chose, just as long as it drove OK and was fairly dependable. The idea being that it would be my 60th birthday present to myself.
I spent lots of time browsing through Autotrader and such like and I even went to view cars within 30 miles. I live in a highly populated area so a 3o mile radius = a lot of cars. I wasn't particularly looking at Jaguars either. I saw quite a few Mercs and BMWs but none caught my eye. But then a Jaguar XJ6 3.2 @ £2,250 appeared so I went for a look at it. It was in BRG with white or ivory coloured leather interior and the exterior was very, very nice. It had lots of M.O.T. and it ran really well on the test drive. The service history and other paperwork was bang up to date so it was just a case of getting the nod from my wife and it was mine.
That's when it all fell apart.
During the time that I had been looking at the car and taking the test drive, #2 son had turned up at the house to ask for financial help in moving to Thailand. He worked there for an American company making women's frilly undercrackers. He had been working there for 6 years but now was the time to buy some land and get a house built on it. The upshot was that we gave him £10,000 and that was my dream car gone. We just didn't have the money for both. Besides, with him owning a house out there, holidays would be cheap, lol
So then my 60th birthday came and went with no car but I was still looking at cars just to keep my eye in as to which makes and models would suit me.
So another year passes and it is 2 weeks to my 61st birthday. So guess what appears in the local ads ..... 1995 Jaguar XJ6. Dark blue outside, ivory inside. Tax & Test 11 months. Lots of history etc. £1,250 ono.
The car was about 15 miles away so I got on the phone to arrange a visit and away I went. He drove the car on the test drive but he was happy to drive where I said which included bumpy roads and speed bumps (with me in the back and my ear down on the tranny tunnel) Then we had a go on a motorway so that I got to hear the silky smooth gear changes going up and the rapid acceleration on the kick-down.
To me, it was all good.
So we drove back to his house for a chat and a coffee. TBH, there was nothing that I could use to beat him down on the price. No rust that I could see, no stone chips on the bonnet, no sagging headlining, nothing at all. So I just said that there were a lot of Jags up for sale in the area and that maybe there were some in BRG which is what I really wanted. So what price would he accept that would make him happy. He thought for a minute or two and said, "I can accept £1,000 if it's cash today".
Bish, bosh, done deal.
Was it fate that made the BRG Jaguar go away to make room for this one? Who knows? All that I can say is that this car has had an alternator problem which cost about £250 to fix but apart from that, all is great.

Maybe the car that you took back wasn't the model for you.
Good luck with your quest.

The following users liked this post:
mgb4tim (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Even if you have to pay a little more, it's worth the extra wait and effort to search for a good one.

Fixing a fault list like that would be $$.

Graham

Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me two years to replace my 97 L (that was totalled by a hit and run driver) with a 96 VDP. Sure, I would have liked to have found something with less miles, but those 2 years changed the game a bit.

Past maintenance is more important than total miles, and you can always spot a car that's been regularly maintained. I'd avoid anything without almost complete records --- there's too many components that may have gone out and needed replacing.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I looked a good 6 months to find mine. Looked at many, drove a few, then found a gem. If you decide to go the XJ-8 route, be sure you pop over to the X308 board and review the faq's and sticky's and then do a search on "nikasil" (and all the various ways you can imagine spelling it) and "tensioner" (tensionor too!) so you will be up-to-speed on which year models you will want to concentrate on.