XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Variable wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Variable wind noise

As a newbie to the forum I would like to raise an old issue that I have with my X300.

Ever since new, normally at higher speeds, I get an intermittent whistling wind noise. When I refer to higher speeds I am talking about 100 to 120kms/hr and as to intermittent, well I can literally go for months without hearing anything then it comes back again. It can even appear/disappear on the same journey which makes me think that it could be coming and going as a result of a change in wind direction; could that be pertinent at 100/120kms/hr? I have had it at lower speeds but that is somewhat rare

The original supplying dealer spent time eperimenting with door seals as well as the sun-roof but all to no avail. At one stage I became convinced it was coming from the joint of the chrome strip around the windscreen so I tried masking it as an experiment; no difference. I have also experimented with sunroof adjustments on the move; no difference.

As you might guess, I have learned to live with this little foible especially, as I say, I can go for months without any noise.

All comments gratefully received.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hello. I have exactly the same experience. In my case it was the wing mirror. My car was equipped with power-fold mirrors, for it is a Japanese spec car, but they went wrong so I decided to change them with the non power-fold ones I bought from the U.S. Then the noise disappeared! I don't think the mirror itself was bad, but the sealing between mirror and the body might have been the cause of the noise. Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Japthug
Hello. I have exactly the same experience. In my case it was the wing mirror. My car was equipped with power-fold mirrors, for it is a Japanese spec car, but they went wrong so I decided to change them with the non power-fold ones I bought from the U.S. Then the noise disappeared! I don't think the mirror itself was bad, but the sealing between mirror and the body might have been the cause of the noise. Hope this helps.
Interesting. I will definitely have another look at the mirrors. The problem is that I have to wait for the noise to appear again and then try and identify the source. I do have power-fold mirrors and have tried closing them when I have the noise but, no luck. 2 or 3 years ago I changed one of them, the complete unit, but that didn't bring about a solution.

Another little frustration is identifying the general location of the noise. When my wife and I are in the car and the noise appears, I ask her where she thinks it is coming from. More often than not she will point to the opposite side of the car from where I think it is sourced, or else we just agree that we don't know!

By the way, I know that you say your experience was the same as mine but would you mind confiming that your wind noise was also intermittent with long periods of no noise.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Yes, mine was also intermittent. In another case, I also asked my wife to identify where a noise is coming from, and she, was the same as your wife, pointed opposite side from where I think the noise is from!!
Those who isn't interested in cars won't be a help when any trouble concerning cars occurs...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Frustrating isn't it? What to do - change the wife or change the car? ! !

Thanks agian for getting back to me. I have had a look at the wing mirrors but nothing obvious and since I am not experiencing the noise at this time, I will just have to be patient.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The previous owner of my car had it at the dealer for various wind noise issues. I'll look through the service records and see if there is any relevant info for you

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Excellent. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like it was in twice for wind noise issues.

FWIW, I have no wind noise issues in the car now.

The first time it was in, the complaint was:

"Customer states the sunroof makes noise while driving on the freeway"

Fix:

"Road tested vehicle at freeway speeds and verified wind noise. Taped front and rear of sunroof panel to isolate noise. Rear portion of sunroof seal was collapsed causing excessive clearance between sunroof panel and roof. Removed panel and replaced sunroof seal. Installed new seal and crimped with special tool. Aligned Sunroof panel and reset SRCM. Road tested at freeway speeds to recheck for noises. No Further noises heard."

Second time:

"Customer advises hissing noise is coming from sunroof when closed"

Fix:

"Found that the sunroof seal has dropped away from panel - Install new sunroof seal - order new panel screws because washers are concave and causing the sunroof panel to be unadjustable. Adjust sunroof to best possible closing with new mounting screws."

These were at 60,000 and 95,000 miles, respectively.

Not sure if it helps, but there ya go.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had some wind noise on my 90 xj6, i couldnt find where it was coming from. I then sprayed silicone on all the exposed rubber weather strips and the noise disappeared,and didnt return for the next 2yrs(retired the car might still be good).

Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The XJ8 had a few TSBs for wind noise that may be related. They are similar body styles so the side mirrors might be the cause for wind noise.

Here is the TSB for the X308

I used to run a bead of black RTV silicone but you need a steady hand and a wet finger to smooth the gap.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
I had some wind noise on my 90 xj6, i couldnt find where it was coming from. I then sprayed silicone on all the exposed rubber weather strips and the noise disappeared,and didnt return for the next 2yrs(retired the car might still be good).
Many thanks for this. I will keep that in mind.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The XJ8 had a few TSBs for wind noise that may be related. They are similar body styles so the side mirrors might be the cause for wind noise.

Here is the TSB for the X308

I used to run a bead of black RTV silicone but you need a steady hand and a wet finger to smooth the gap.

bob gauff
This is very interesting Bob. Many, many thanks. The XJ8 TSB comes close to my experience, " . . above a certain speed, but possibly only under certain crosswind conditions." so I shall certainly try their fix. My mirrors would appear to be identical to those in the drawing for the XJ8 so for the first time in 14 years I am starting to feel quietly confident of a solution! If it works, I shall probably not be able to say as much until a few months have passed. In any event, I shall report back in due course.

I note that the TSB is dated Sept 1999 which is after the time that the supplying dealer gave up trying to find a solution.

Again, very many thanks.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by imagineaudio
Looks like it was in twice for wind noise issues. . . . . . . Not sure if it helps, but there ya go.
Excellent intelligence; thank you very much. To be honest, after all the testing done on the SR I am putting that potential source into 2nd place for the time-being. Instead, I am re-focussing my attention on the wing mirrors following the TSB kindly provided by motorcarman and the experience of Japthug following his change of mirrors. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the SR; there is no obvious sign of deterioration of the nature your reports mention which I assume created a permanent rather than the intermittent noise I have.

Again, many thanks.