XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 radio display not working.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X300 radio display not working.

The radio display of my x300 1996 is dead. Has anyone got a working radio he wants to sell? Or are there other solutions? I'm afraid I'm not very good at electronics repair ...

Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Dead radio

This seems to be a very common problem with these cars and the general consensus seems to be that a replacement/ upgrade is the best route to go. Some have had the radios repaired, only for it to go out again at a later stage. Dry solder joints seem to be the problem and without the proper gear and know how, it's a bit of a needle in a haystack scenario. If you do get a newer replacement, you may need a faceplate adapter to compensate for the curved ski slope shape of the existing console. It will also need to be compatible with your cd changer. If it's the original in the boot/trunk jaguar model, you will need an Alpine radio unit unless I'm very mistaken. others on here will know more about this than I do, but hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
If it's the original in the boot/trunk jaguar model, you will need an Alpine radio unit unless I'm very mistaken. others on here will know more about this than I do, but hope this helps.
Only a very limited selection of Alpine head units are compatible with the Jaguar changer, and when I looked they were all outdated, discontinued units. Best just to abandon the Jaguar CD changer.

Agreed, the Jaguar head unit seems to suffer fron quality control issues, and replacing it with a modern aftermarket unit is the best option.

I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer DEH-P7150UB.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im useing a pioneer deck aswell. came with a ipod hook up which i run through to the center console (which i think is better then the 6 cd changer any way) and it has a single slot cd player. to account for the slope i took my faceplate of the old deck and used a dremel tool to cut it out to fit around my new pioneer deck. This makes the deck look stock in the slope. i can try to explain more and with pics if you do decide to go this route.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On Jagbits.com the damn CD changer new is $500. Let's not forget that these things were made back in the mid 90's when anti-skip wasn't common.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm not bothered about functionality of the CD changer, but a non-original radio doesn't appeal to me; I'd like to keep the dash as original as possible.
Oh well, let's wait for one on ebay to pop up then ...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleph
I'm not bothered about functionality of the CD changer, but a non-original radio doesn't appeal to me; I'd like to keep the dash as original as possible.
Oh well, let's wait for one on ebay to pop up then ...

Here in the 'States Alpine has an authorized repair station to repair the OEM Jag/Alpine radios. For our older models the rate is a flat $125. Considering that Alpine sells products around the globe I have to think they have repair outlets in Europe as well.

Ebay is a good idea but, of course, there's a risk that what you get won't work properly for very long, given the history of this model. And....the bidding usually goes higher than you'd expect.

After lots of looking and a bit of luck I was able to buy two "reconditoned" units from the same vendor for about $30 each. The vendor was a liquidator who bought up the stock of a defunct radio repair shop. One works perfectly and is in my car and the other has the usual glitch of not operating the CD player. So, in essence, I spent $60 to get a good one but that's Ok.

I now have, I think, five of these radios: one working, four in various states of disrepair....which "one of these days" I'll attempt repairing.

Good luck
DD

Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My radio display light is on the fritz nearly half of the time. I've decided not to replace it with a new head unit because I too like the originality of the stock set up. That being said, my CD changer broke (an after market one from Alpine). I just use a cassette adapter for my ipod.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your answer. As I mentioned, I don't use CD, gonna do something with my iPhone. But erm, if the other one you bought only has the CD player glitch and works otherwise (antenna, display), why not sell it to me?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleph
Hi Doug,
Thanks for your answer. As I mentioned, I don't use CD, gonna do something with my iPhone. But erm, if the other one you bought only has the CD player glitch and works otherwise (antenna, display), why not sell it to me?

Because I'm certain that I'll be needing it myself, given the unreliability of these untis ! :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM

LOL you probably got a point there

Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Here is info for getting an Alpine audio device repaired. Cost has always been reasonable for us. Usually $120-$140 plus your shipping cost.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Alpine Repair Center Info.pdf (23.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM

cheers! I guess I'll have to look for a similar service in the Netherlands; 140 us and shipping is a lot. Cost of LCD being 10 at the most, 1 hout labour @ 60 euro's should be no more than 70 - 75 euro...

Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM

OK people, just bought a head unit and changer (which I don't need, but OK) for 100 us equivalent. Thread me be closed (for THE time being )

Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Since the subject is fresh, this just came across the wire to dealers this morning:

DBC 10427R-
1995-97 XJ6 radio has now been made NLA (No Longer Available). Dealers with a
useable core or a customer's unit should send them to:
United Radio, 5717 Enterprise Parkway, East Syracuse, NY, 13057.
Their phone number is (315) 445-3242. Dealers are responsible for payment directly to them and must follow all Jaguar policies if a Warranty claim is submitted.

FYI

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X300 Radio Removal / Install

This is a great link for x300 radio install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAIdr6V3iE and below are the written instructions from Jaglover x300e-book
10.1 - Access to Centre-Console - Ski-Slope Removal ( , )

Open the ashtray, remove the lighter and internal bin and undo the two screws at the rear. Remove the ashtray itself, disconnecting the electrical connection to the lighter as you do so.

Feel into the hole and forward under the centre wooden trim. There are two nylon wing-nuts, upside-down, holding the wood in position. Undo them.

Remove the plastic transmission selector surround by squeezing gently on the sides to release the clip fixings - two on each side. Lift the plastic and disconnect the Sport/Normal switch wiring.

Remove the chrome / leather selector surround, again by squeezing gently. This time the fixings are at the front left, front right and rear middle of the surround and it is often best to start with the one at the rear. It can be a little tricky and frustrating, but it will finally release so try not to force it.

From the back, ease the main wooden trim panel upward so that the bolts clear their mountings and then withdraw it backwards and away.

You can now access the climate control unit, clock and radio units. Removal is simply a matter of undoing the six fixing screws and pulling the unit forward. Take care not to stretch or force any wiring. Refiting is equally simple, but take care not to trap wires or loosen any other connectors.

Alan

Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Thank you! I'll have to postpone the operation until winter subsides a bit, however. I can only work outside