XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

xjr6 or and model registry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default xjr6 or any model registry?

I have a 97. 318 total models in the world right? How many in US? How many still in service? How many BRG? Should we start some kind of a registry? Does Jaguar maintain one? If it doesnt exist... a registry might be a pretty cool way to add value or at least give us some more insight into our cars. The resale value on these cars cant do much more than climb [I hope] at this point. I mean some of the v12's they only started with 50 total. Whats left on the road in a particular country is a really low number! Most of us stay pretty close to te original build on these cars. Im not trying to do a concours show. But some kind of an info trust lineage I would think would add some value to our cars.

Last edited by swaschka; 05-07-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

A registry would be fun, but we are a small subset of X300 owners. They made a lot of X300s overall, but from what I've read it is difficult to pull some build statistics from what Jaguar kept due to issues such as their using calendar versus the typical (USA) model year designation.

But there are several threads here and elsewhere on X300 production numbers, broken down by some specific types and trim levels.

As far as how many of any given type are left on the road.... who knows. A coworker actually just asked me that yesterday when they were complimenting me on the car, and I had to just shrug my shoulders and say they made about 7000 of the X300 XJR worldwide as I recall over the entire 95-97 run, and it's anybody's guess how many are left. But there are surely less and less as the days go by.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Simple Start. Anyone can open and modify with this link. Add tabs for more models Etc. See where it goes?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0G...ew?usp=sharing

Apparently you must have a google name and pwd to access. Google apparently defines share with "everyone" google people.

Last edited by swaschka; 05-07-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by swaschka
I have a 97. 318 total models in the world right?

On the odd chance that you were not aware.....

Jaguar quotes production figures by calendar year, not model year. Or at least they did back in the day.

I'm sure there were more than 318 1997 model year XJR/6s made....but only 318 were made in calendar year 1997

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM

i used to be in service business. due to warranty issues and things of that nature that can affect either loss of life or large quantities of consumer money. vin data is pretty specific. once they stamp it v for 97 the remaining numbers are reset and the clock starts counting. there is no separate under the table "cash" set of books.

edit:
if asked what you produced in 1990s when vin data reports are industry standardized for a global market its not ok to claim a different plan.

especially considering manu dates in the door is a us thing.

Last edited by swaschka; 05-08-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

i used to be in service business. due to warranty issues and things of that nature that can affect either loss of life or large quantities of consumer money. vin data is pretty specific. once they stamp it v for 97 the remaining numbers are reset and the clock starts counting. there is no separate under the table "cash" set of books.

Not really sure what you're driving at, but....

Jaguar sold cars all around the world and assigned VINs and model years in accordance with the market. North American Jaguars often carry a different model year code in the VIN than the car immediately before it, or immediately after it, on the assembly line. And, as we know, there are (at least) four different VIN conventions in use....which is why you'll often see an original Jaguar VIN *and* the North American VIN on the same car.

For example, a X350 style Jaguar built in calendar year 2003 would be assigned a 2004 VIN if it was going to North America but a 2003 VIN if it was staying in the UK.

Another example: my 1988 XJS was built in Feb 1987. Jaguar assigned it an official "1988" VIN for the US market....but XJSs built at the same time for other markets were considered 1987 model year. For whatever legal and or promotional reasons, Jaguar USA wanted it that way.

That's why production figures were quoted in calendar year, not model year.

I dunno what Jaguar is doing these days.

edit:
if asked what you produced in 1990s when vin data reports are industry standardized for a global market its not ok to claim a different plan.

especially considering manu dates in the door is a us thing.

That's just it: VINs are not standardized. There are different VIN conventions/languages in use. That's why not all VIN decoders correctly decipher all VINS.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM

and... whats important is keeping value to the marque. because the kbb is going to dictate for what these things are valued right now. so when some knuckle head hits you in traffic and your ins co totals you out due to low value it will be just one less opportunity for the younger generation to see the beauty of the car.

i drove through a wash / detail shop. the highschool boys were oogling the new mustang in front of me. the girls wiping down the sills in my xjr said: their so stupid. this is the car. beautiful car sir.

handful of decades of that and maybe our kids will have a valuable car. right now im just trying to be a custodian of it while its in my possession.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM

vin decoders help you with trim and motor numbers in the code. not gonna argue this. had to live it. its serious business.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

vin decoders help you with trim and motor numbers in the code. not gonna argue this.
Argue what? Good grief.

had to live it.

Huh? Live what?

its serious business.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're talking about with "cash under the table books" .

You asked "318 total models in the world right?"

I am trying to answer.

I have a funny feeling that this is one of those threads that I'll regret having chimed in on....so I'll just step aside.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM

sorry no i didnt mean to ask anyone how many xjrs were made in 1997. i meant ask if we should start some kind of a registry. i got side tracked as it seemed you werent certain that the vin tells you the model year of the car. and everything else you want to know if you have access to the dealer subscription services.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, the last six of the VIN are sequential even over a model year for the X300 (and I think continued from the X40 and into the X308 as well). When one contacts a vendor or the dealer, the last 6 is what they want.

The TSBs and recalls reflect that as well when they cite the relevant VIN range.

I can't comment on the "first half" of the VIN and how it varies by region.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM

1st portion, actually most of the vin is origin, plant, body class, motor type, model year, etc. Serial numbers are the last bit. Starting couple of digits of that mean something to the manufacturer as well. But I don't remember an example. Its been many years. In our case s is england, v means 97, p is for xjr, 1 is 4.0sc I cant remember anything else. But its in there. I will try to find out if I know anyone anymore who can get us some better data like when they started counting xj's for the next year what was #1 car. Does it matter if they went to us or can etc. I dont think it did. I think it was either you are building for us & can or not. If yes your vin had to be like so. I would like to find an existing registry. As I have no desire to maintain anything myself.