XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

!! Anti-Freeze leak XJ8 !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! Anti-Freeze leak XJ8 !!

I've had my car all of 2 days (98 XJ8 77500 miles) it's near mint condition all around cosmetically. It has been in miami, FL for its whole life, then got shipped up here to 20F in Missouri. I've only drove it about 2 miles fromshipping truckto my house. Tomorrow it will be going to get checked out and inspected/licensed, but I have a few questions for the pros here if I may?

1) I Left it running in the cold at an idle yesterday for 30 mins, started to smell anti-freeze, it leaked out thefront left a bit not far from inside wheelbase the on the ground, Leaked so much last night while on the low coolant light came on, so I turned car off.

Today almost topped it off with anti-freeze andleft it on for about 45 mins no leak, then out of nowhere it starts pouring anti-freeze out the front left of the car like mad, literally pouring out on the ground. Any clues of the severity of this issue? Could this be a stuck thermostat or is this a radiator leak?Car temp stays in the middlewhere it should.

2)Should I disconnect my battery to reset the Computer to start fresh in this climate/elevation?

3) There is a knock/tick in the engine compartment that seems to go away when the car heats up (my buddies mazada 3 does that normally, withtumbler/intake in cold)is this normal for jaguars?

I was told the car was in tip top mint condition and obviously it is not mechanically. Could the car really get that jar'd around on the truck through the 1100 mile trip to loosen up hoses/etc or was the dealership feeding me BS (which is illegal no?)

Thanks in advance guys for any input, i'm rather saddened at this point : \

Old 02-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: !! Anti-Freeze leak XJ8 !!

I would say the first thing to do is look for the leak.
Funny it only leaks when the car heats up. That would indicate the thermostat is working. Once thermostat opens it allows the leak.
Open the hood and remove the left cover beside the intake. Just pull it up. Inspect the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing. You may want to top off the coolant reservoir again and run car so you can see if you see where the coolant is coming from. Just follow all the lines from the expansion tank forward. If you are getting it checked tomorrow anyway, they will be able to pressure test system and should find it immediately. Coolant leaks can spring up anytime, so I would say not an indication that dealer was dishonest in their description of vehicle.
The disconnection of the battery would not have any affect on the coolant leak. ECM will adapt to different climate on its own.
The ticking noise when you start the engine may be of some concern. If you have a 98, it has the nicasil lined block. Without hearing the ticking it is hard to say what it may be. Possible the chain guides or tensioners are worn. Possibly the water pump is noisey until vehicle warms up. Again hard to say. I would advise you to tow it to whoever is going to look it over for you so as they can start it from cold and hear the ticking noise for themselves.
Let us know what you find.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the response, i'll let them look tomorrow to tell me what's up and i'll let you guys know. My mechanic is literally less than1 minuteaway so i'll just drive it over.

I would agree that the dealer may not have known, butas shown below in quotes, I don't see how they could have missed a huge coolant leak like that with their "professional inspection"? As well on a side note the leather wasEXTREMELY parched and was dying for conditioner, so I dunno if I buy the detailing part either. False advertisment is illegal. Iwill contact them tomorrow as well.

FactoryJaguarTech you live in South FL, ever been to/heard of this place http://www.autobankcenter.net/index.htmlthats where it came from, the car is still listed in inventory. it's right by Potamkin Mazda. Carfax indicates most of it's life in and out of "The Collection" in miami and is available for all to see.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...HX1246WC818202

"All of the vehicles we sell have been inspected by our professional staff, fully detailed, and have had a 3,000 mile oil change and lube and are ready for the road."

Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM

The leather can always be dyed, so don't be put off by that.
The car began its life in Chesapeake, then Bethesda. After 17000 miles was serviced at Alpine in Ft. Lauderdale. Then the last two visits in Miami at the Collection.

Laws vary from state to state. I would just get it looked at and see what it needs. Report back and we will help you decide if it is a good car to keep if thats what you want.
You can also get a list of what it needs and call the place you got it from. Ask them to make it right.
To answer your question though, no I have never had dealings with the place you bought it from.
Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks bro. I'm not worried about the leather. It is not worn/cracked at all just needed to be conditioned, I was just kinda amazed since they said it was detailed and conditioned day of shipment.

I absolutely love the car, im not mad/upset in the least just was curious of the issues. Anyways I'll let you kind folks know what's up. Thanks for your time

Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Hey guys I forgot to give an update, anyways got lucky and found out that whoever had previously worked on the car in Miami hooked one of the coolant hoses either backwards or upside down or something and that was the cause of expansion tank letting go of coolant etc.

Anyways, all is well and no more loss of fluids,more I drive the smoother it gets (only 10k miles since mid 2004) I just feel sorry for the beast I wasn't able to get it in the garage, since it got here has seen two snow storms and as of yesterday heavy sleet here in the STL, MO area...

Kitty looks cold!

Name:  J1-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  49.6 KB

Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 AM

LOL you're a brave man driving it in the snow.

Glad it is running well now. Enjoy.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

LOL you're a brave man driving it in the snow.

Glad it is running well now. Enjoy.
Sorry to keep this post going, but yeah that is no probI came from a 17ft (204 inch) long lincoln towncar (behind the new ride there)that I drove through the winter for years so i'm used to RWD in the snow now, much fun! runs like a top now....cheers!

Mods feel free to delete/move this post to the XJ8 topic, thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM

ok folks so my antenna got frozen halfway up, it is not the mast, it is easily extendible with your hand. It goes down fine when it's fully extended, but gets stuck on the way after the Now the gear is clicking and won't fully extend.

I dont care about the antenna, i'll never use the radio. Is there a diagram/something to show how to disconnect the antenna?

I used the search, nothing... if it's already been answered, direct me to the thread. help a bro out, thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM

To disconnect, just unplug motor. Right side trunk behind carpet.

I would have to disagree with you however. If you hear it clicking, motor is good. Mast is broken inside and not moving with motor, and gives you ability to move with your hand.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Boom, thanks bro! Still get all the stations crystal clear...Sorry for my cruddy automechanic skills.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM

lol....no probs.