XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone got any idea how this was done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Anyone got any idea how this was done?

I was just browsing eBay when I spotted this: 98 99 XJ8 JAGUAR Tape Cassette Radio CD changer cont MP3 ipod SAT AUX AJ9800A | eBay

Most noticeable is the AUX is in the front of the stereo, and this has been done without hacking the CD changer. I would like to copy this if possible as my system is exactly the same as the one pictured.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta,
S.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 12,738 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I was just browsing eBay when I spotted this: 98 99 XJ8 JAGUAR Tape Cassette Radio CD changer cont MP3 ipod SAT AUX AJ9800A | eBay

Most noticeable is the AUX is in the front of the stereo, and this has been done without hacking the CD changer. I would like to copy this if possible as my system is exactly the same as the one pictured.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta,
S.
Hi S.,

The radio head unit comprises several building blocks, including the control panel, radio tuner, cassette transport, preamplifier (which increases the level of the signals from the radio, cassette and CD changer) and power amplifiers (which drive the speakers).

The seller has figured out where to insert the Auxiliary jack in the circuit so that when an iPod/iPhone is plugged in, the radio and cassette signals are interrupted and replaced by the signal from the mp3 device. Not difficult for a knowledgeable technician.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I would have saw this before installing an aftermarket single-din. This is giving me ideas for my own radio since I kept the original when it was replaced.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi S.,

The radio head unit comprises several building blocks, including the control panel, radio tuner, cassette transport, preamplifier (which increases the level of the signals from the radio, cassette and CD changer) and power amplifiers (which drive the speakers).

The seller has figured out where to insert the Auxiliary jack in the circuit so that when an iPod/iPhone is plugged in, the radio and cassette signals are interrupted and replaced by the signal from the mp3 device. Not difficult for a knowledgeable technician.

Cheers,

Don
Would there be a way to perform this but with a USB slot instead of a 3.5mm jack?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenHorn
Would there be a way to perform this but with a USB slot instead of a 3.5mm jack?
I noticed you're in Ventura country. I'm willing to offer up my head unit if you figure out how to do this and want to experiment

Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Theoretically it would be possible, but additional circuitry would have to be installed because USB is a serial bus that communicates via digital signals rather than the analog signals produced by the radio tuner, cassette transport and the headphone output of an iPod/iPhone.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Guessing this would utilise the phone circuit? That's the only way that I can think that it would override the cd/radio signal. But doesn't that go to the front speakers only?
There have been other people that have spliced into the inputs, using either the tape deck, or the cd changer input (with a dummy track playing).

The biggest issue I have with these headunits is the main amplifier... I really need to work out a way to get rca outputs.

Now that I think about it, surely the wiring out for the 'premium' amp would be a line level signal? Might have to do some investigation...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mcm97
I noticed you're in Ventura country. I'm willing to offer up my head unit if you figure out how to do this and want to experiment
I'll be honest, I wouldn't know how to myself. I do know a guy who wouldn't be afraid to expirement a bit with it. Same guy who installed my single-deck and I must say he knows what he's doing. The stereo looks stock

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

The stereo looks stock
Post a pic,everything I've seen in these cars so far turns me sour on the idea,thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=grandell;956231]Guessing this would utilise the phone circuit? That's the only way that I can think that it would override the cd/radio signal./QUOTE]

I think it could be done easily with a jack similar to the one at the link below. You would connect the stereo signals from the radio tuner & cassette transport to the normally-closed switch contacts of the jack, so when no plug is inserted in the jack the radio and cassette signals are connected to the preamplifier as usual. When an iPhone plug is inserted in the jack, the switch contacts in the jack would open, disconnecting the the radio / cassette wires and connecting the iPhone to the preamp inputs instead. Pretty simple. You'd just need a stereo switching jack that will fit in the available space inside the head unit:

3.5MM STEREO JACK WITH SWITCHES | AllElectronics.com

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-16-2014 at 11:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

That's too much unnecessary work for those with the OEM alpine premium unit. I have a AI-net RCA input switcher that was plug and play. My radio, cassette, and CD changer all still work. Excellent sound quality. It connected directly onto the head unit input on the rear amplifier on my OEM Alpine system. Took about 3 mins to install. I ran a wire from the trunk to the middle console using a shortcut listed on this forum, and that only took about 20 mins, and was pretty simple. The switcher overrides the head unit when it detects an input on the RCA jacks, and disables the override when the RCA input is silent. My CD changer wasn't altered and I still use it on occasion when my ipod's battery is dead.

This switcher is the most direct way to connect to the OEM amp, as you have no possible reduction of quality due to the head unit or with a cassette adapter. It connects thick RCA cables directly to the amp.

The phone input is untouched, so you can still add a Bluetooth kit. This route is the ONLY way I would have gone to add a AUX input, since I still use my CD changer. The only problem is the switcher could be more sensitive, as it can occasionally switch back to the head unit if the AUX input volume is really low. I keep a blank cassette in mine so that it switches back to silence instead of the radio.

Amazon.com: PIE ALP/AI-AUX Audio Switcher/Aux Input for Alpine Ai-NET Radios: Car Electronics Amazon.com: PIE ALP/AI-AUX Audio Switcher/Aux Input for Alpine Ai-NET Radios: Car Electronics

Looks like it's sold out now. It might be still available elsewhere. I bought and installed mine about 5 years ago and have been using it everyday.

I described the whole process a while ago, and requested to put it as a sticky since the question comes up frequently, but that didn't happen. Oh well. The KEY was connecting it to the headunit input on the amp. Others had problems because they installed it between the CD changer and the amp, or between the NAV and amp (I don't have NAV).

Last edited by burmaz; 04-17-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Don B (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Post a pic,everything I've seen in these cars so far turns me sour on the idea,thanks.

I am having trouble posting it the forum. I have a pic of it in my garage. I agree with you that aftermarket stereos look out of place in a Jag. I hate the big LED lights that these stereos have. That's why I chose the Kenwood deck I have. I thought it blended in the jest with the rest of the interior, IMO. I was even able to set the LED colors to match (as best I can) to the other lights on the a/c console. I do admit its not an exact match, but I was satisfied with the outcome. If need be, I kept the stock radio and can easily reinstall it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by GreenHorn; 04-17-2014 at 10:26 AM.
King Charles (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
Guessing this would utilise the phone circuit? That's the only way that I can think that it would override the cd/radio signal. But doesn't that go to the front speakers only?
There have been other people that have spliced into the inputs, using either the tape deck, or the cd changer input (with a dummy track playing).

The biggest issue I have with these headunits is the main amplifier... I really need to work out a way to get rca outputs.

Now that I think about it, surely the wiring out for the 'premium' amp would be a line level signal? Might have to do some investigation...

My previous post address the premium system with RCA inputs potential. Consider it before opening up a CD changer or headunit.

The OEM headunit with a PIE switcher is very good. The internal DSP and subwoofer controls make the OEM unit IMO better than any aftermarket unit, as the OEM DSP is tailored for the X308.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Mine is the standard headunit, not the premium. Not sure if it has the internal time alignment etc etc, but my Alpine PXA-H700 takes care of that anyway. I need to pull it apart and see if it has the premium output plug. Otherwise, I might keep an eye out for one from a wrecker and swap it over. Won't take much to rig it up to rcas